My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi

Has anyone set up a wireless network on the 7020. I'm considering wifi as my lappy has a wifi card already. So perhaps a USB WIFI for the DB would be best. Is USB 1 and 802.11b fast enough to watch TV ?

What works for you ?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
whatsthis said:
Is USB 1 and 802.11b fast enough to watch TV ?

I don't have the Dreambox on wireless, so I'm interested in your findings.

As for the speed of 802.11b, my Dreambox uses Ethernet to a wireless router and then wireless to an iMac G5, the picture and speed are perfect.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, and it will work for the 7020 too.

You can get a plugin to enable 11b USB WiFi cards to work for the 7000, but not 11g. Don't know the score on USB WiFi cards with the 7020 though.

The cool thing with the bridge used in the sticky, is that it doesn't need any drivers so you can plug what you like into it. Even a hub :)

Oh, and 11b stinks. You'll probably want to ship movies around between your DB and your PC. It would take maybe two or three hours each on 11b O-no

With my 11g connection it's significantly faster than real-time (take note if wanting to stream).

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
The cool thing with the bridge used in the sticky, is that it doesn't need any drivers so you can plug what you like into it. Even a hub :)

Does it need a power supply?

A spare power socket is scarcer in my house than an Ethernet connection!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL yes, but then I have 14 sockets being fed from one twin 13A wall plate in my lounge. None if it draws much current except the telly. Only a fraction of them are ever in use at any one time anyway.

My computer suite however, gives the National Grid a right good kicking when it gets fired up!

O-Ha

Tiggy

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
whatsthis said:
Hi

Has anyone set up a wireless network on the 7020. I'm considering wifi as my lappy has a wifi card already. So perhaps a USB WIFI for the DB would be best. Is USB 1 and 802.11b fast enough to watch TV ?

What works for you ?

Cant you simply utilise the internal modem in the 7020 for updates.
Tiggy

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Good sticky but I want to "roam free" with the PC so I won't have line of sight between the DB & PC for a bridge and wap. Also I only want to stream.

If 802.11b is ok with streaming at 11mbs, then the USB1 port at 12mbs on the DB should be ok. So WiFi USB seems a low cost sollution providing that a DB driver is available.

The Hydra 7020 Phoenix image has a Wifi plugin v1.2.1 has anyone tried it.

There's also a netgear usb wifi stick for the DB7000.

erosennin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Solar System, currently on planet earth.
My Location
The other side
whatsthis,

Why do you need line of sight between the DB & PC?

- The Bridge will be sitting in top of your DB.
- Your PC will have a proper wireless card.
- The WAP will be anywhere you want it to be (usually in the middle of the other two)

For example if you have your pc in your bedroom and the DB in the living room, you would place the WAP in the hall or something like that...

Let's hope someone posts his/her experiences with a wifi USB stick and the DB... It sure is a low cost sollution.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi erosennin,

From BgonaSticks guide appendix B, it says that the best place for the access point is center and in line of sight of all mobile stations. What your saying is that it works ok without.

Haggard also posted a thread on How to stream live video on a wireless network.

Still waiting to hear of anyone who's experience with WiFi USB.

erosennin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The other side
The WAP placed "in line of sight of all mobile stations" is desireable but not a must.

Read this article about the placement of a WAP:
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/locate_aprouter.htm

And this one:
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/f/wifirange.htm

I'm quite interested in your project, I've been browsing around and the general advise I found was to go with the wireless bridge and to avoid 802.11b (since there's no drivers for the 802.11G usb sticks, I think "belkin" makes one).

If I were you I'd go with a

- 802.11G router/wap (it works as both).
- 802.11G wireless bridge for the DB
- 802.11G wireless card for the PC

Preferably of the same the same brand, BGonaSTICK uses Lynksys (which Cisco bought a while ago, so you can't go wrong there).

With a Router/Wap like Lynksys WRT54G instead of a WAP you can share your broadband connection (if you have one) with several PCs and "Roam Free" all around the house.

Good Luck and post your findings!!

erosennin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The other side
I'll take the liberty to quote GENOSUAVE from another forum:

"If you want to set up your DB with a wireless connection USB is definately not the way to go. The USB port on your DB is only a 1.1 port and the transfer speeds are very slow. This is also the same reason why you don't want to use that port for an External HD connection. The Data Transfer rates are horrible. I only use this port to plug in a Flash Memory Stick which in turn increases the measly factory 64mb's of ram. I have a 512mb USB stick. It works great. Now I can fill up my plug-ins folder with more games and stuff and not worry about filling it up"

And:

"A side note; If you are going to stream video to the PC you should get a "G" 54 mbs router and "G" ethernet bridge or game adapter to get the job done smoothly. A "B" 11 mps setup will get the job done fairly well until it's time to record to the PC's HD"

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thanks for your help.

It sounds like I need to go for 802.11g for the streaming speed and file transfer, and wireless ethernet to avoid complicated linux USB drivers.

So could you tell me whats the minimum I need to get wireless with just the DB (is that called adhoc peer to peer). My PC has a wireless card in it so do I just need to buy a bridge ?

WAPs, routers, bridges, access points... ? I was chuffed just finding the on switch.

erosennin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The other side
whatsthis said:
WAPs, routers, bridges, access points... ? I was chuffed just finding the on switch.

ha ha ha :D This made my day

whatsthis said:
So could you tell me whats the minimum I need to get wireless with just the DB (is that called adhoc peer to peer). My PC has a wireless card in it so do I just need to buy a bridge ?

I see you're doing your homework ;)
I don't see why this wouldn't work... In page 3 of the "Appendix A - Bridge setup" of the Sticky it explains the option for "Ad-Hoc" in the bridge settings.
You'll also have this option in the settings of your pc card.
I've read that this works for a Xbox, so It should be the same principle.

Maybe someone else who already has a bridge + DB can try this out... BGonaSTICK?

Good Luck!

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thanks again for your help lads n lasses
Got a WGR614 off ebay for 20 quid and set it up adhoc to stream wireless to the PC and MAC.
Works great !

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
whatsthis said:
Thanks again for your help lads n lasses
Got a WGR614 off ebay for 20 quid and set it up adhoc to stream wireless to the PC and MAC.
Works great !

Is it near your dreambox, if so you could hard wire it up.

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
Thank goodness for that. There was me begining to think it was complicated.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
rhubarb said:
Thank goodness for that. There was me begining to think it was complicated.

If I can do it anyone can. Got excellent help here.

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
how do bridges work in terms of, if say 10 networks are available how does it know which to connect to, and also, how can you specify wep key etc ?