Woohoo its installed!!!

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Well at last ive got my Dreambox installed :)

anyway i must say i am a little Disappointed, i havent found any good channels at all :(

i did think there would be loads of free channels..... there isnt, its a bit sad when you pay £750 and still end up watching your ITV digi box... whats that all about?

I need to know what to do to get things unlocked and able to get some more channels, i believe there is an emulator that can do this?

if this has already been discussed in another topic sorry, but as you can imagine i am itching to get going :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Is your system motorised?

What satellites have you scanned and image have you tried?

You should never be dissapointed with thousnads of channels to choose from.

Tell us a bit more and I'm sure someone can help you explore the power of the box.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
yes it is a motorised system

Dreambox 7000s
Triax TD110 1.1m dish 0.6 LNB
DiseqC 1.2 120 motor

and its true, every channel i go to is just a black screen :(

with SERVICE NOT FOUND on it.... i have scanned loads of transponders and have a long list of channels... but none work!!

the ones that are free, dont work either? maybe im doing something wrong but all im doing is selecting a channel, the dish moves..... then a blank screen

i get sky news and god channels..... :/

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
RedDevil_UK said:
with SERVICE NOT FOUND on it.... i have scanned loads of transponders and have a long list of channels... but none work!!

This is very strange the FTA channels should show regardless - unless something is wrong.

On some images when you change channels it will indicate if that channel is encrypted and with what - does that happen? Have you installed any soft CAMs or k*ys?

What image are you using?

Is the box connected to you computer or Internet connection?

When it all works you will be glad you stuck with it.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i have a dragon cam and card.... but no programmer doh!!
i could connect the box to the PC ..... but i would have to get a long network cable

the box has come as is... straight out of the box, to be honest the installation guy didnt know nothing about it.... it took him 2 visits to get it working?

some channels cannot be decrypted... like sky for instance

oh by the way... i have just found another channel, TRAVEL
thats 3 channels now lol

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
RedDevil_UK said:
i have a dragon cam and card.... but no programmer doh!!
i could connect the box to the PC ..... but i would have to get a long network cable

the box has come as is... straight out of the box, to be honest the installation guy didnt know nothing about it.... it took him 2 visits to get it working?

some channels cannot be decrypted... like sky for instance

oh by the way... i have just found another channel, TRAVEL
thats 3 channels now lol

You aren't going to be able to decrypt Sky channels, even with a Dreambox. Only FTA ones.

Llew

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Ummm so what your saying is, all this dish is gonna pick up, is the same as my arial?

i have my ITV digi box, and it picks up alot more than my dish does??
i have ordered a ART sports card.... looks like thats all im gonna get then.

i feel cheated really, i was told there was channels out there, ones similar to the channels sky show, but for free.

i was expecting movies, music and general interest, also the documentry channels like discovery..... there is none, and trust me ive looked... ive spent all my spare time going through channel after channel.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Whoooa there tiger.... you have got a very versatile system under your control

What you need to do is read the DB section of this forum and try to digest... but slowly as it can get quite involved if you are new.

Your kit is quite capable of decrypting most of the 'locked' channels but you
need to take a while to know your DB a bit better. It is one of the most
versatile things you could have picked but needs to be 'loaded' properly

Easy na. :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
I am starting to wonder if its set up right...
i can pick up all these satellites and only a handful of channels??

can someone tell me a way i can check its working right...
and tell me a channel i should be able to receive without subscription... and where to find it?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
RedDevil_UK said:
Ummm so what your saying is, all this dish is gonna pick up, is the same as my arial?

snip
i was expecting movies, music and general interest, also the documentry channels like discovery..... there is none, and trust me ive looked... ive spent all my spare time going through channel after channel.

Hey Red!
With patience AND a connection to your PC, you will get a darn sight more than just the Discovery you seek. Take your time and run that lonmg cable from your PC.
You are missing something.
I suepct you have the DB manuf image loaded. True?
How are you going to load a "have fun" image and then give the image the resources it needs (emus and keys)?
You have spent the dosh, a lot of it,
but if you set out thinking that evrything would be there with no input from you, then you didnt read all the postings in this and other forums.
The D/B is an enthusiasts box. It is not plug and play, it is not even plug and pray.
But what you will find is that people in this forum who were helped to unlock the riches of the dreambox by experts will be only too willing to pass on what they were given to you. Under normal circumstances, in about 2 to 3 weeks, you will be passing on your expert knowledge to others.
I have 2 dishes with 2 lnbs on each (19E+13E), (5E+1W) cos I am too impatient to wait for a dish to rotate. It all cost less than 300UKL and I get a hell of a lot from that compared to the ransom money (nearly 500 p.a.) I have to pay to Murdoch.

I get movies, more music than I can cope with and tons of gen interet!

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
great, then jump in ya car and come round here and help me sort this bugger out lol

to be honest mate, i think i was expecting to much.... i am just really down hearted at the moment, as it stands its completely useless i havent found one channel yet worth watching...

what cable do i need??? a normal RJ45 lead?? straight or crossover??

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
another thing too...
in MOTOR CONFIG and number on motor?
#19 is astra 19.2 and eurobird 19.5
does this matter (seems strange to me)

also some of the free channels listed here http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html

where are they all!!!! ive looked everywhere.... they dont appear on my system?
the more i mess with it, the more i think its been set up wrong?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
If you go to the start of the DreamBox forum you will find some excellent documentation by T_G - read this first.

You will need to connect the box to your PC which should have internet access. Different cables are used depending on your set up (it's in the help files)

Take it slow and you will not be dissapointed - as was said before - this is not a plug and play box but if you treat it right it will surprise you.

What made you buy it and go to all the trouble and expense of the installation?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i have setup satellite dishes before... although not a motorised one, and i thought about fitting it myself
in the end i paid £150 for a shop to install it, thinking it would be sorted when they finished the installation.

i have been reading the other posts on here and i am starting to realise i need to go on a full time 4 year course to learn how to work it!! so much for coming home from work putting your feet up and watching a bit of telly Doh!

like i say though, i dont think its working right.... if i flick through the channels id say for every 100 channels i get 1 or 2 pictures and 98 SERVICE NOT FOUND its not finding anything at all

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
first things first,

What satelites do you have availabe on the DB?

Thor/Hotbird etc etc.

a good channel to lock onto is one of the 'God' channels (no comments please I am not a religous nut) which featues in one fashion or another on each satelite.

try to lock onto a God channel, i am assuming now that you have more than one satelite configured??!! when you select different satelites do you have a message on screen ' moving to 1W' etc?? Is the message displayed for a few secs or does it disapear immediately?

It sounds like you have the sames problems that I had - which I got around BTW by configuring the sat positions into the DB motor setup....

If you answer these questions we can then move forward.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
My advice to you would be to lock onto a single satellite, either Hotbird at 13E or Astra '1' at 19.2E and sort all of the channels for that satellite with the image you have. Then get your network thing sorted out, followed by the 'flashing' of a new image. Get advice on which one from folks on here or other boards. Sort out the basic configuration of that image. Then you'll want some emu tweaking, and some fresh keys via your internet/LAN connection.

Then sort out the 'other' channels available on your selected satellite.

Then, and only then, try your dish against other sats.

If you are getting 'SERVICE NOT FOUND' then you are not receiveing a signal for that channel/transponder, so something is either wrong with your alignment on that sat, and/or your whole motor setup is either mal-aligned, or is not driving between sats properly, or your box setup is wonkey.

You have a long journey ahead of you. Take your time, and try to have fun on the way. Nobody said this was going to be easy. If you don't have the patience, simply swap your Dreambox for a Humax/Force/Echostar etc.

You will not need a programmer with the Dreambox, but you will if you go the other route, and want to watch stuff other than your ART subscription.

STICK

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
ok then ... here goes, sorry its took me a while :)

Yes the dish does move, i get the moving message and i can see the dish move :)

Astra 19.2e got BBC World nothing else???
Astra 23.5e Nothing
Astra 28.2e Nothing
Atlantic Bird 3 5.0w Nothing
EuroBird 1 28.5e Nothing
Eutelsat 10.0e Roj TV ?? nothing else
Eutelsat 13.0e Nothing
Eutelsat 16.0e Nothing
Eutelsat 7.0e Nothing
Hispasat 30.0w TV Polonia
Intelsat 707 1.0w BBC world
Sirius/astra 1a 5.0e Nothing
Thor 0.8w Nothing

admittedly some channels where encrypted.... not many though!

strange thing is, sky news and cnn worked earlier.... now they dont???
as you can see my £750 system is worth about 25p :)

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Its all good.

Right then - Next phaze.

You need to apply a decent image to your Dreambox, you can do this a couple of ways.

either plug a laptop directly into your dreambox using an rj45 crossover cable or altenatively depending on your home setup plug your dreambox into a hub and at least one other pc into the hub.

From here you can put a proper image onto your DB.

At this point I would strongly recomend getting an rs232 null modem cable ( you will need this at some point when you kill your D:cool:.

You can also apply a DB image using the Null modem cable albeit very slowly.

A good site for downloading images from is. http://www.dreambox.net.au/firmware.php

I would recomend the Hydra Lucien image.

One more thing that you should be aware of is that all of your satelites will be lost once you apply the new image so you will have to start from scratch again - Crap I know but this a limitation of the DB.

Once you have either a Null modem cable or an rj45 cable we can goto the next step.

I am afraid its a baptism of fire but all I can say is that its worth it in the end.

We are all Teachers and students when it comes to the Dreambox.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
zanders said:
We are all Teachers and students when it comes to the Dreambox.
I like that. Never a truer word.

You should however be getting a load of free channels from 13E, 19.2E and 28.2E, as well as a few from 16E and elsewhere. You 0.8W/1W situation is as you would expect without any extra tools. Like I said above, either your transponder list is pants, or your dish is out for some reason.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
cheers mate

Ummm.... my PC is in the bedroom lol and obviously the box is in the front room??
i will call into the Computer shop and buy both leads tomorrow, gonna need a long crossover cable :)

i have downloaded hydra7000_lucien_108_2.img
so i will post here tomorrow night when i have the leads