World Cup free-to-air ruling due

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BBC News Desk

The European Court of Justice is to rule on whether UK football fans can still watch major events on free-to-air TV.

The European Court of Justice is to make a ruling which may decide whether UK football fans can still watch major events on free-to-air TV in future.

Fifa and Uefa are challenging a decision allowing the UK government to designate the World Cup and European Championships as free to watch events.

Both are on the UK list of "protected" events of national sporting importance.

But Fifa and Uefa argue this interferes with their ability to sell their television rights at the best price.

They say there is no reason why all games at tournaments should be shown free on British television, as part of a list the national sporting "crown jewels" that have to be made available to everyone to watch.

If the court sides with the two football authorities it could mean drastically reduced numbers of games being shown on terrestrial television, as Fifa and Uefa look to sell off packages of games to pay-TV broadcasters.

However, any games featuring England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland would still be shown on free TV, as would the finals and semi-finals of the tournaments.

More...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this one, but don't FIFA and EUEFA make a lot of money anyway?

Also, once digital switchover is complete, that will open up the bidding to anyone with a channel on the Freeview platform, which should improve the bidding. I can't see it being good for the world cup if the majority of people only watch matches in which their team is involved.