Would you advise a motorised dish being situated on a chimney?

jdseasider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
english sky, spiderbox 7000, 1.1m triax dish with tm2600 motor, Acer Aspire 5542
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, North West England
only need lining up to
13e
19.2e
28.2e

Which i can get, if i start by lining the dish on zero where its situated i wont be able to do it. Could i fix the motor (without mounting the dish) and then select 13e put the dish on and tweak it ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Chimney mounts are not ideal for big dishes - one of our members had a chimney stack and dish go through his roof last year after it was blown off in a gale!

jdseasider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
english sky, spiderbox 7000, 1.1m triax dish with tm2600 motor, Acer Aspire 5542
My Location
its only a 78cm dish. Would i be able to line it up tho the way i suggested?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
check to see if you can get line of sight to those satellites lower down as chimney installs aren't advised unless the chimney is very solid, its more trouble than its worth.

jdseasider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
checked i can get those 3 and im ok. just lining them up without mounting dish is the only way. I mean line the motor up to true south minus the dish, send motor to hotbird via receiver mount dish and tweak from there

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Check the condition of the chimney VERY CAREFULLY. The wind loading on an 80cm dish on a chimney can be horrendous.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also, if you must have it on the chimney, why not use an LNB mutlibracket and DiSEqC switch, quicker changing between satellites and less weight and windage.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
jdseasider said:
checked i can get those 3 and im ok. just lining them up without mounting dish is the only way. I mean line the motor up to true south minus the dish, send motor to hotbird via receiver mount dish and tweak from there

You need to follow the motor dish set up guides in order to set it up correctly.

# chimney-mounted antennas should also be restricted to a maximum of 60cm.

RdMin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed 80cm on 28.2 deg,80cm Motorised 76.5E -58W
My Location
Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Having suffered from wind loading issues on an 80cm mesh,I would recommend the motor and bracketry be mounted at a height which may offer some degree of protection where possible,I invariably set up my install on Hottie @13E rather than Thor,the signal is massive from it,after that providing you are using the USALS setting all other satellites will fall into place including 1W (Reference Sat).Another one is dependant on where the motor install is it may be possible to line-up with a 'sky' dish @ 28.2E as a starting point for elevation.