Wrong cyber deoderant?

N

NOVICE

Must be sporting the wrong cyber deoderant, lads. No reply to any of my postings. Feeling about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit. Asking stupid questions? Too verbose? GIve me a hint, lads . . . I can change; I've even given up the happy baccy.
Anyone know why they made the Echostar DSB2110 (without anything embedded) with two CAM slots, if the sodding thing doesn't like working with a Mediaguard and Viaccess CAM in it together at the same time? As, about to buy a second CAM, I have just found out!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably not to do with the deodorant, just the way it goes sometimes. It may well be that no one has that particular Echostar and so they don't feel qualified to comment. I've certainly not come accross a receiver that doesn't work with any cams, but i guess that there could be a software problem.

Rolf

N

NOVICE

Thanks for the answer, Rolf. I guess I didn't express the problem clearly enough. The Echostar DSB2110 has two CAM slots and works fine with one CAM in (ie I've had an Aston Seca working fine for Mediaguard for a year). Now I also want to use a Viaccess CAM, but my supplier tells me he's had numerous reports that the DSB2110 doesn't like working with a Mediaguard CAM and Viaccess CAM in it together at the same time. In other words, I can only apparently watch Mediaguard or Viaccess at the one time. If I'm watching a Mediaguard channel and want to change to a Viaccess channel, I'll have to take out the Aston CAM and put in the Viaccess - or vice versa. A total farce . . .

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, have the same problem with the PentaVision card in the PC, it will work fine with a single cam, but tries to address both cams at the same time when two are inserted.

Rolf

N

NOVICE

Sorry you face the same hassle, Rolf. Do you know whether I could solve the problem if I got a decoder with one of the encryption systems embedded? Say, Viaccess embedded and Mediaguard on a CAM. You've been browsing the forum longer than this new recruit, I'm sure someone's let everybody know if that solves the problem. Remember you in my will, if you can point me to where it might have been answered, M8.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I don't believe that there is a problem with most receivers carrying two cams, there are plenty of members who have receivers with exactly that setup and get excellent results. There seem to be as many problems with integrated cams, particularly where they require specially written files to work.

If the receiver is designed to carry two cams, I'm sure that there must be a way to get it working with both, but unfortunately as I have little experience with this unit I cannot advise.

Anyone with a similar problem, or who has solved a similar problem please feel free to add your words of wisdom. :)

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive heard that the DSB series do have troubles even with one CAM

Iit might be worth looking at the Echostar site for an update that specifically addresses this problems

Rolf - many receivers have two CAm troubles. This is due to the DVB rules governing the design of the CI slots for 2 port models being breached to make the equipment easier to produce.

This is also linked to the ease at which so many of the encryption systems having been hacked simply by having parallel conection to the PCMCIA circuitry when theDVB spec states that cams circuitry should be indentified in series configuration.

Novice - You may also take from this that some receivers start working better with two CAMS only when they are swopped over in the slots - try it and let me know

N

NOVICE

Channel Hopper - most of what you say flies right over my technically thick head, m8. But I kinda get your point. I'll check the Echostar site for software upgrades. Problem is I don't know where to find what version software I've got already. There's nothing on the Echostar DSB 2110's menu to tell you, or in the manual. I was thinking of trading it in for the same model with a Viaccess embedded and just running Mediaguard through a CAM. Do you reckon an embedded Viaccess would allow me to have two cards working at the same time - ie, one on a CI Cam, one embedded? Appreciate your time, m8.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Shame the manual states(and hence Echostar Corporation avoids any interaction with those using their kit)

'If you have any questions about your DSB - XXXX, please call your local dealer'

additionally the manual does not mention where you can find infor on the receiver software, however Im sure a number comes up on the front panel or on the screen when you first power up as with most other models

A embedded solution unit will of course work better but is it really worth thinking of spending more money before you have tried other cheap cures - swopping CAMs, software upgrade and reset etc etc ?

N

NOVICE

Cheers channelhopper, I think you've got it! Yeah, when I reboot my receiver what I thought was u200 comes up on the display at the front - presumably that's V200 or version 200, and they're up to about Version 500 software I think I read elsewhere. I've only had the receiver a year. Will Echostar tell me what the various updates will do and if I could damage anything by downloading them, do you reckon? Thanks for the help.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Little chance of damage but you nver know

By the way Echostar now have password requirement for their site - strange - so you will have to find another site from Poland or register with them

Other than that a reasonable PC/laptop and some cable
and ten minutes work