Advice Needed Xbox One and which receiver for CCCam?

Hammy Havoc

Reaction score
Website
www.hammyhavoc.com
My Satellite Setup
Xbox One, motorized satellite base, here to figure out the rest!
My Location
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Hey everybody,

My first post here, I used to be a bit of an enthusiast in my early teens when it came to satellites (Before HDMI became available!), now I'm back on the scene and looking to really make my home theater experience that much better since investing in a high-end projector and high-end TV as I've got a bit more free time these days. I've spent a lot of time over on the continent these past few years and I'm looking to get access to some of the channels I've come to miss as a best case scenario; free-to-air as per the forum's T&Cs of course. I've still got some of my gear from way back when including a motorized satellite base, though the motorized side of things is entirely optional.

As this is going to be fed into an Xbox One, I don't need anything outrageously fancy in terms of receiver as I won't be seeing the UI as it'll be controlled from the Xbox OneGuide and the Xbox One remote, it also doesn't need DVR functionality of any kind as the Xbox One provides that. My thinking behind all this is that I just want to sit down of an evening for an hour or two after a long day and have some English language broadcast entertainment alongside my streaming content; I spend a lot of time programming every day and I don't especially want to be wrangling code or a nonsense UI every time I want to sit down and watch some TV, it should be relaxation time!

I'll make answering my post easier:

1. What's the best bang for buck satellite receiver with HDMI out and CCCam capabilities? Preferably with the ability to autoupdate CCCam.
  2. What's the best bang for buck satellite dish these days?
  3. Has the way that the motorized satellite base is controlled the same as it always was with the same connectors?
  4. Any advice in terms of new developments I should be looking at that are interesting?

Thank you very much in advance, looking forward to engaging in some discussion elsewhere very soon on Satellites.co.uk!

Hamual

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi Hamual

Welcome to the forum.

I think it would be easier if you stated an approximate budget you have available as there are literally thousands of makes and models available depending on your viewing requirements which you have not stated and secondly explain what you mean by a 'motorised satellite base' Perhaps post a photograph as I am unsure exactly what you are referring to unless you a describing an 'on-board ship satellite dish' that automatically tracks a fixed satellite when at sea. Land based systems are either a polar mount which can be either hand adjusted or motorised, alternative an H-H mount for smaller diamter lighter dishes. I will let others answer the CCCam question as I do not use it but generally the majority of transmissions are secure these days and the only method available to defraud the broadcasters is card sharing which we neither condone nor advise as anyone could be running the server and who knows when they will get busted.