Yes another Newbie Question! Multireciever setup with TV & FM Aerial

opalfruit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Satellite dish, quad lnb, tv aerial & fm aerial
My Location
Galway, Ireland
Hi All,
So I've moved into a new house with a satellite dish hanging off the side of it and thought right lets get a good setup going here for tv around the house. There is also a small FM aerial on the chimney stack in the attic as well as a TV aerial on the outside of the house right beside the satellite dish. So here is what I have and what I want to setup:

So I have at the moment, 3 cables in the attic, one from satellite dish, one from TV aerial and one from FM aerial.

I have 4 rooms with tv & fm points in, one of which also has the satellite cable as well from the dish.

Here is what I want to setup:

All 4 rooms with satellite recievers, tv point from aerial and fm point from fm aerial. I want to run one good quality cable (WF100) to each of the 4 rooms to minimise and keep things tidy.

Am I right that its a quad LNB from the satellite dish that I need, so this will add 3 more cables to the existing 3 cables in the attic.
I know I need to use diplexers/triplexers because I want to run one cable behind each wall. The wall plate will then have 3 ports with a diplexer to re-split the signals - one satellite, one tv and one Fm.

What I'm unsure of is what to do with the 6 cables in the attic to get them to one cable run for each of the 4 rooms? 4 cables from the quad LNB on satellite dish, one from tv aerial and one from fm aerial. Do I need to combine the TV Aerial and FM Aerial into 1 cable first before using a kind of multiswitch?

Any pointers would be well recieved or if there is a better way of doing the whole thing I'm open to suggestions. I just want to get it as right as possible first time! Any suggestions on what the best make/model of equipment would be are also welcome.

There is thankfully 2 power sockets in the attic if that helps as well just beside the chimney stack.

Thanks all.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

Sounds like there was a 'loftbox' system set up previously.

You require:

1 > Quad LNb and separate sat/uhf/fm diplexers for each of the 4 points but this would not help you if you wanted Sl<y Plus / Sl<y Hd in the future as you would require more satellite IF feeds although this would work fine with four points only.

OR

2 > Systems LNb (quattro) into a 8 way Satellite Multi-switch. UHF, FM and four fixed feeds from the dish into the switch and then connect up your four feeds to the outlets. Change the outlet plates to Triplex Plates (Sat, TV/FM).

This would be a future proof system as you would have four free feeds from the switch which could be connected up later.

Satman :)

opalfruit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Satellite dish, quad lnb, tv aerial &amp; fm aerial
My Location
Galway, Ireland
Hi Satman, many thanks for the info, think I'll go with the last suggestion as its alway good to have future needs in mind.

opalfruit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Satellite dish, quad lnb, tv aerial &amp; fm aerial
My Location
Galway, Ireland
So now I know what way to setup the satellite, tv and fm around the house I am looking for recommendations for the equipment itself. Can anyone recommend a good quality multiswitch? My Dish is a mesh one with no make/manufacturer on it (was there when we moved into house) so is there anything I need to know about substituting the single lnb for a quattro?

I hear the Triax equipment is supposed to be reputable.

Thanks,

OF

NeroAer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky IRS &amp; Hotbird
My Location
Staffordshire
Opalfruit, it sounds like you have got a sl< y mini dish up, if you can get a quattro lnb to fit on there, then bob's your uncle, if not, then you'll need to buy a 60-80cm dish with quattro lnb.

then get a V5 x 8 multi switch and four triax triplexed face plates to finish the job off