Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Well a few years ago I remember seeing someone selling a "satellite light" you could mount on the patio that had a mini dish and light bulb inside a white dome...

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
I was thinking....if I got one and someone objected, could I install some bulbs internally and say it was a large security light??
Would it fit under your porch! :-lol

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Now that's cool Pete, I've seen the round things when we go cruising, but never realised they was satellite dishes,
The huge ones you'll have spotted on your travels round your way will be either something to do with GCHQ or UK/US forces, they're listening posts/intercept stations apparently

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Think Martin meant when they go on holiday on a cruise ship.....not cruising round in a car LOL.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Think Martin meant when they go on holiday on a cruise ship.....not cruising round in a car LOL.
Makes sense haha

I don't know why but I thought motorbike :-rofl2

Don't mind me I'm going back into my corner lol

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
We usually go on this one Pete, we are saving up for the sea going ones :-lol

stuc100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
seatel 5004, DAC-2202 ACU, 3 x DRM-800CI remodulators
My Location
Deepest Darkest Caspian Sea
I'll definitely take some pics and I need to have a look inside to see what is in there (LNB-wise)but I can confirm dome-age and also a gyro and GPS stabilised dish drive unit on 3 axis. The model I have on board is a Seastar 5004 which has a 50" dish for TVRO, we have other dishes for data comms and 256k broadband is a luxury here. Inmarsat charge an arm and a leg for broadband. We did a job for Jeff Bezos from amazon last year and he needed 2Mb up and down link for the 3 weeks he was on, apparently the cost per month was well into the hundreds of thousands. Anyway, Martin, pics to follow, Rolf and Hairybadger, I will also point the array at those sats as well to see what we can get. its gonna be a steep learning curve for me however I appreciate the help