Cheapo Nastyo HD receiver help Opticum vs Megasat vs Ariva vs Xoro vs smart vs cheap

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Unless I've badly misinterpreted this, doesn't your box behave in the same way as any other DVB S Receiver nd pick up a time sync "on air" from whichever Channel you happen to be on?

ie If a UK Channel, you'll get BST or, if from eg Italy, Spain it'll be displaced by the relevant number of hours?

And whatever time zone it "acquires", unless subsequently updated, will be retained in Standby.

This is how SWMBO confuses me after she has watched "foreign" telly on one of our boxes: It invariably tells me I'm running late!!

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
Just looked at the menu.
System setup
Local time setting
GMT Usage = on
GMT offset = UTC + 00.00
Summer Time = on

Date & time shown below greyed out

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
cheers guys for the update

yip no 7 day epg - got to wait until one comes along in the future.

I looked up the times pages again - it allows me to input a date and time - but after standby the timer goess back to 00.00 - so I guess its no use. But like you said after I scanned 28.2 - they channels I gte they have a now and next.

sky+ app I have dl cheers for that.

Just treating it like a cheap HD box and glad to get HD.

I have not added the broadband yet - what will that do?

where did you get the channel list from and what did it include?

At the moment I just scanned 28.2 and got about 300 odd channels and then just selected a number of them and put them into a 6 fav boxes.

so everytime I start the box I go to Fav and select the choosen channels - not the best way but whats this channel list?

cheers V
ps need to add that broadband to it soon.

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
If you connect to internet and you have a Cline(which u have 1 weeks) it will show the scrambled channels depending on what package the supplier has.
To check it has a Cline
Menu
Cccam Client Setup
Manage config files
Cccam.cfg
There should be something in here highlight it and make sure its active(tick alongside it)
Exit it will save then you have to reboot the box with remote

There are many channel lists a available. There pre made lists for movies/sport/kids/music etc
They are added by USB drive then
Menu
Tools
Upgrade by USB
Change upgrade mode to misc files
Select & upgrade
Choose TP_PROG.dbs
Again reboot once done

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
i can never understand the obsession with bouquets on these boxes?

i either scan a sat or import a channel list.

sort the order by a-z and if i want to watch bbc1 i scroll down to bbc1 in a few button presses?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
yip no 7 day epg - got to wait until one comes along in the future.
That'll never happen.

paxrax said:
i can never understand the obsession with bouquets on these boxes?

i either scan a sat or import a channel list.

sort the order by a-z and if i want to watch bbc1 i scroll down to bbc1 in a few button presses?
Scrolling down takes a long time when you have 7500 channels loaded on your box. Bouquets is a much easier way to index. Maybe your channels are still in alphabetical order but they are split into smaller groups.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
cheers guys
all the advice is of great help.

it will be a good box to learn on before i go down the dream or vu route. yip ensigned to the fact that linx boxes may only be the way to have so many sats in a box

but dont you lot have epg 7 days on the dream or vu - is this possible?

i cant see how a epg works on 2 different sats for example 19 or 28e - I cant get my head around that (or is it just now and next on the dream and vu and no 7 day)

is everyone just making favs with a selection of channels from all the different sats?

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
Huevos said:
That'll never happen.

Scrolling down takes a long time when you have 7500 channels loaded on your box. Bouquets is a much easier way to index. Maybe your channels are still in alphabetical order but they are split into smaller groups.

not really, well not to me anyway.

28.2e is on most of the time, by the time youve gone into the listings, into bouquets, into sports and then down to sky sports hd1 i might aswell have pressed ok on the remote - then pqrS- page across to sshd1 and ok.

if i want to watch something on 0.8w its the same, except for a have to select 0.8w services first.

each to their own though!

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
I am a bit confused with the channel choosing methods

so there is no such 7 day guide!

if you have let say the 0.8w and 28.2 and maybe 19 - all of them will show now and next - but there is no 7 day guide.

so no way you can know, what is on tomorrow with any of them (all in the same box).

How does one know, whats on tomorrow with a multi sat system - TV guide?

Also if there are no 7 day guides for multi sat system - what is everyone doing

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
Well for starters there is a little thing called Internet..............

:0)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
I am a bit confused with the channel choosing methods
On the Vu+ there are lots of ways to select a channel. You can do it by keying in the channel number, or from the EPG, or from a channel list, or from a bouquet, or from a satellite list, or by pressing the panic button. There are probably other ways too.

godzillafan said:
so there is no such 7 day guide!
There's no 7 day guide on an Openbox and probably never will be. On a Dreambox, Vu+, or similar Enigma II box there is a proper EPG (depending what image you install). How many days depends on how you configure it, but 7 days is no problem.

godzillafan said:
Also if there are no 7 day guides for multi sat system - what is everyone doing
You configure the EPG and tell it which databases to download.

paxrax said:
if i want to watch something on 0.8w its the same, except for a have to select 0.8w services first.
Well I don't need to think about changing satellite which makes it more user friendly. For example all sports channels are in a bouquet called sports. This includes channels from all satellites and terrestrial. Channel change between satellites is less than one second (with the T90) so grouping them like that and zapping through them as an alphabetical list works well for me.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
On the Vu+ there are lots of ways to select a channel. You can do it by keying in the channel number, or from the EPG, or from a channel list, or from a bouquet, or from a satellite list, or by pressing the panic button. There are probably other ways too.

There's no 7 day guide on an Openbox and probably never will be. On a Dreambox, Vu+, or similar Enigma II box there is a proper EPG (depending what image you install). How many days depends on how you configure it, but 7 days is no problem.

You configure the EPG and tell it which databases to download.

Well I don't need to think about changing satellite which makes it more user friendly. For example all sports channels are in a bouquet called sports. This includes channels from all satellites and terrestrial. Channel change between satellites is less than one second (with the T90) so grouping them like that and zapping through them as an alphabetical list works well for me.

H

you are the man

after reading that I know I need to get a dream HD or the Vu.

I know most t90 people have the Vu+ but the duo is well out of reach. What are your thoughts on solo - some suppliers are stopping selling them - are they going out of business or being cancelled - well the solo model in this case.

If not then I need to look at the dream 800 or 500 (has yours arrived).

cheers

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
What are your thoughts on solo - some suppliers are stopping selling them - are they going out of business or being cancelled - well the solo model in this case.
I'm not sure about that. Just had a look at WoS and they are still on the site. I don't know if the Uno is a replacement for the Solo or they are going to be sold side by side.

godzillafan said:
If not then I need to look at the dream 800 or 500 (has yours arrived).
Not yet.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
I'm not sure about that. Just had a look at WoS and they are still on the site. I don't know if the Uno is a replacement for the Solo or they are going to be sold side by side.

Not yet.

just wondering as one of the sites were no longer going to stock and sell the xtrend instead.

just wonder if the xtrend was better than the solo or its too new to comment on.

the solo at least I know there will be millions of help and advice with the box.

- dream - man they are taking their time.

dream 800hd vs vu+ solo whats your take specs wise (I know about 50-60 price different)?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
godzillafan said:
just wonder if the xtrend was better than the solo or its too new to comment on.
I've already got the Duo so I'd buy the XTrend for the blind search. Not sure how good the tuner is though.

godzillafan said:
dream 800hd vs vu+ solo whats your take specs wise (I know about 50-60 price different)?
The tuner is so good in the Solo that would be my first choice.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Huevos said:
I've already got the Duo so I'd buy the XTrend for the blind search. Not sure how good the tuner is though.

The tuner is so good in the Solo that would be my first choice.

Both are around the same price and given up finding one cheaper. Was about to take the plunge and get the solo but this new uno - is worrying me that the solo might disappear also

The xtrend - people are saying - well the supplier saying its much better than the solo?

But since its new - I am not sure how many people are buying it and is there any support for it and how is it better - you mention blind search

any thing else?

Going to just go for it and get either one but since you know your tech stuff - grateful if you can spot what the main tech difference is

cheers vik
ps - must be some price fixing going on as its the same price everywhere for all the boxes