Newbie Here First time satelliter ( but not dumb)

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
Hi brand new to the world of all things satellite but by no means un technical, just unfamiliar with the technology. Trying to set up a system for my family to use in the caravan as terrestrial dig is very poor here, trying to get yhe free sat channels but getting loads of foreign ones instead with the odd qvc ch 4 etc.. Pretty sure I'm lined up to Astra 28 , but not sure if my box is capable of doing what I want. Kind of acquired it all thru time and now I go to use it I can't get what I want, it all does appear to be right but I feel I'm missing something!

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks for reading!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Can you list some of the 'foreign' channels you are getting? That should establish which satellite you are aligned to. (Probably 19.2E) There is a version of QVC on there but definitely no CH4. In all probability you will have to do a factory reset and begin again. If it is 19E you are aligned on, the dish needs to be moved to the East and it's elevation decreased although these will be relatively small movements. How are you checking for signal levels at the moment?...oh, welcome to the forum LOL

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
Can you list some of the 'foreign' channels you are getting? That should establish which satellite you are aligned to. (Probably 19.2E) There is a version of QVC on there but definitely no CH4. In all probability you will have to do a factory reset and begin again. If it is 19E you are aligned on, the dish needs to be moved to the East and it's elevation decreased although these will be relatively small movements. How are you checking for signal levels at the moment?...oh, welcome to the forum LOL

Hi and thanks, in using one if those little sat finder beeping Meters with the adjustment knob, I was suspecting I was on 19.2 but when I try moving it I pick up nothing. I'll go try again now though. Frustrating as it's almost there ..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome to the forum :)

You have done the difficult bit - finding ANYTHING! Now its just a tweak of dish direction to get the correct satellite.

Chances are you have found mainly German channels - 19E is the most common satellite to line up on if you dont find 28E first time.

Facing the dish you need to move the dish arm about the width of the lnb to the right and drop it a fraction - a couple of mm will be about right.

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
Ch4+1,
Welcome to the forum :)

You have done the difficult bit - finding ANYTHING! Now its just a tweak of dish direction to get the correct satellite.

Chances are you have found mainly German channels - 19E is the most common satellite to line up on if you dont find 28E first time.

Facing the dish you need to move the dish arm about the width of the lnb to the right and drop it a fraction - a couple of mm will be about right.

think I've found it , done a reset rescan and all sorts of itv etc were being found but couldn't find them when it had done, so I've done a factory reset , confirmed lnb etc but now what? I have options of.. Auto scan, net scan,tp scan & pid?[/QUOTE]

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Try a manual TP scan of 10758 Vertical 22000
Can you please post the signal quality readings.
You might have to check your dish is still aligned, as it tends to move, when tightening the bolts.
Try dishpointer.com for useful FTA, Free to Air, frequencies.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A network scan should bring in all the active transponders - it reads the network tables on the satellite.

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
A network scan should bring in all the active transponders - it reads the network tables on the satellite.
Active transponders? Then what? What is an active transponder, I will understand once all the glossary is explained! Thanks for your patience guys

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Active as in the ones that are currently in use. :)

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
Active as in the ones that are currently in use. :)

Yup figured that much out, does my box pick up signals from different transponders simultaneously or do I channels from just one transponder? I might sound thick but as unsaid I'm a complete noob and unfamiliar with the theory and terminology

Last edited by a moderator:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If the box has blind scan / possibly called auto scan) on it just let that run. It'll go and see what signals it can find and read the channels off each one as it finds them

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
If the box has blind scan / possibly called auto scan) on it just let that run. It'll go and see what signals it can find and read the channels off each one as it finds them
Just done that and it's only given me about 30 or so, I have input the frequency mickha suggested and that brought in a few itv channels so do I need to find a transponder list and manually input them? Or should the to scan find them all by itself, what a learning curve this is!

Last edited by a moderator:

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
Also when I flick through the different frequencies the signal level changes ? Is this normal?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
We need to know the signal levels you're getting. The dish probably needs some minor adjustments, left/right, up/down, to maximize the signal, and the LNB probably needs skewing, rotating slightly.
Can you please post a few channels, both Horizontal, and Vertical polarity, along with the signal quality readings.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A few pics might be of value: eg Are there any partial obstructions in the line of sight between dish and Satellites?

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
We need to know the signal levels you're getting. The dish probably needs some minor adjustments, left/right, up/down, to maximize the signal, and the LNB probably needs skewing, rotating slightly.
Can you please post a few channels, both Horizontal, and Vertical polarity, along with the signal quality readings.
if I knew how to get you that info I would , ill persevere and try to do it, when you say channel do you mean once its tuned and on tv , or in the decoder menu where it says frequency?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Can you also check to see if you have set the LNB to 'universal' in the receiver set up menu....

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
lnb set to universal ,

Attachments

• sat.gif
    sat.gif
    184.2 KB · Views: 47

H13bym

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4355 evolution
Universal lnb
My Location
Yorks coast
the table of frequencies I get in the channel set up menu ...are these frequencies that are found when it does the tp scan???