Is my FortecStar Passion dead or just asleep?

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
Gents,
Finally found the time to open the box. C201 on the PSU is indeed a 2200uF 10V Electrolytic Capacitor and compared to those surrounding it the end cap is noticably swollen. I shall obtain a replacement for said component and change it over.
Thanks for the help.

Allan

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
AllanI said:
Gents,
Finally found the time to open the box. C201 on the PSU is indeed a 2200uF 10V Electrolytic Capacitor and compared to those surrounding it the end cap is noticably swollen. I shall obtain a replacement for said component and change it over.
Thanks for the help.

Allan

Well good on you for having a go. It's nice to see there are still others around who don't bin things and contribute to the "throw-away and replace" culture we now seem to have!

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
Well thanks to you guys I have a functioning STB again. The post delivered on Xmas Eve but I wasn't really in a condition to replace the capacitor until yesterday. The replacement was physically slightly larger than the original but it fitted in. Did the business with the soldering iron and connected the box up. It loaded up ok and all seems to be as it was, but then why wouldn't it be. Many thanks for the help with identifying the problem.
Allan

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Now that really is a good result!

Do you mind telling us the total cost of the repair exercise?

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
Tivù,
The total cost was £9.50 because I couldn't find anywhere to buy a single capacitor. The minimum quantity was five and the next day postage was more than the components. Of course this was cheaper than getting in the car and collecting. I'm happy to have a working box again.
Allan
PS Open to offers on 3 capacitors, or don't you think I'll need a spare.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well, under a Tenner is good going.

I'm sure those spare spares will find a home eventually judging by Llew's comments about this being a known failure mode with this Box.

Mind you, over the years quite a few Box Makes/Models have proved themselves prone to similar PSU issues.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Good to hear it's OK now. Hold on to your surplus - you never know...:-ohcrap

ether

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
Hi Llew,

My first visit due to my Fortec Star Passion HD going dead after about 3yrs, except for blue light round `OK` button.

I have looked closely with magnifying glass and can`t see `C201` capacitor on the small pcb anywhere, there isn`t one far as I can see, there are two black 2200uF10v capacitors (think) but not called C201s!

Be so grateful if you could tell me what I`m missing, I have guessed and ordered 2 2200uF 16v capacitors as they fairly cheap, are these the right ones you think, hope you can help.

Graham

BonzoDog77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion with steerable dish
My Location
London
Hi Graham,My Passion 2 year old has the same fault. I am off to Maplins this morning to get a replacement cap. I will let you know the result.Bob
ether said:
Hi Llew,

My first visit due to my Fortec Star Passion HD going dead after about 3yrs, except for blue light round `OK` button.

I have looked closely with magnifying glass and can`t see `C201` capacitor on the small pcb anywhere, there isn`t one far as I can see, there are two black 2200uF10v capacitors (think) but not called C201s!

Be so grateful if you could tell me what I`m missing, I have guessed and ordered 2 2200uF 16v capacitors as they fairly cheap, are these the right ones you think, hope you can help.

Graham

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Hi Graham

There's at least two builds of the Passion power supply. I suspect you have the same one as mine, in which case the offending capacitor is likely to be C24 (1000uF 10V) near the connector at the bottom. This serves the 2.5V output which is the possible problem as with the power supply mentioned above.

Change C11 too, same value capacitor in the 5V supply, although it's unlikely to be faulty if you have the OK button lit.

As I said, this is assuming you have the same power supply.

ether

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
Thank you Llew, yes, found it/them,(c24,c11) ordered 1000uF 10v 105/c, thank you so much.

Graham

ether

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
Llew, an update, my Fortec Star Passion HD is now working, in my case it worked out differently, I changed c24,c11 but still no display, for info`it turned out to be one or both of the capacitors shown in jpg below, I changed both and now working,...thank you for you help.

_http://www.wellness-universum24.de/passion_hd_power_supply.jpg

[Moderation] Unparsed URL

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Would I be right in assuming that that is a "before" pic, not an "after" one?

Those Capacitors do seem to bear the characteristic bulge of deterioration.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ether said:
Llew, an update, my Fortec Star Passion HD is now working, in my case it worked out differently, I changed c24,c11 but still no display, for info`it turned out to be one or both of the capacitors shown in jpg below, I changed both and now working,...thank you for you help.

_http://www.wellness-universum24.de/passion_hd_power_supply.jpg

[Moderation] Unparsed URL

OK, good to hear you're up and running. Probably the one nearest the heat sinks drying out.

Have noted for future reference in case of anyone having a similar fault.

ether

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
UK
TIVU,...I `borrowed` pic from another site showing same probs with the Passion so don`t know if b4 or after, but look like the original ones I replaced,... I went for capacitors with the highest temp handling as assumed it was heat related failure.

BonzoDog77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion with steerable dish
My Location
London
This is an update on my Passion. Purchased a 2200mf cap today from Maplins for 80p to replace C201 and all now works fine.

Bob

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
ether said:
TIVU,...I `borrowed` pic from another site showing same probs with the Passion so don`t know if b4 or after, but look like the original ones I replaced,... I went for capacitors with the highest temp handling as assumed it was heat related failure.

Ah, I see.

Pretty certain that's a "before", then.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
BonzoDog77 said:
This is an update on my Passion. Purchased a 2200mf cap today from Maplins for 80p to replace C201 and all now works fine.

Bob

Great stuff :)

twiddley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+ HD
My Location
Bedfordshire
My Passion plus has started to inexplicably restart when I am watching HD channels, no problem on SD channels. Started on Saturday whilst watching BBC HD, watch for about 45 mins then the loader kicks in. I have not noticed it as much on ITV1 HD. I am at latest firmware, and it has been solid since I upgraded back in January. Have I got a problem, or have others experinced this

steve46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star passion+
My Location
uk
twiddley said:
My Passion plus has started to inexplicably restart when I am watching HD channels, no problem on SD channels. Started on Saturday whilst watching BBC HD, watch for about 45 mins then the loader kicks in. I have not noticed it as much on ITV1 HD. I am at latest firmware, and it has been solid since I upgraded back in January. Have I got a problem, or have others experinced this

I'm having the same problems with my Passion.....seemed to have it sorted had to load up the September firmware now seems stable.