Lost Dreambox Login and Password

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
I wanted to login to my Dreambox and found that the login information had been changed. I have no clue to what they may be.
Any ideas other than a factory reset as I do not want to lose the actual setup.
Thanks

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
What dreambox ? and are You cardsharing ??

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
dig deep said:
What dreambox ? and are You cardsharing ??
Hi thanks for responding.
It is a Dreambox 7000S with PVR and var on USB.
Yes I am Card Sharing.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
canofan said:
Hi thanks for responding.
It is a Dreambox 7000S with PVR and var on USB.
Yes I am Card Sharing.

If you have Tux Commander installed, then you can browse the files and there is a subfolder with the password details there.
If you don't have it installed already, dl and install from the blue button > addons > Gemini server > Plugins > select Tuxcom and install it.
Then it is available fom the blue button > plugins.
Hope that this helps. :)

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
HB13DISH said:
If you have Tux Commander installed, then you can browse the files and there is a subfolder with the password details there.
If you don't have it installed already, dl and install from the blue button > addons > Gemini server > Plugins > select Tuxcom and install it.
Then it is available fom the blue button > plugins.
Hope that this helps. :)

very resourceful as usual HB13DISH.
I shall do.
Thanks again

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
canofan said:
very resourceful as usual HB13DISH.
I shall do.
Thanks again

Thanks. Just let us know if it works for you. :)

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
I could not find the folder with passwd. I found a command with passwd in ETC but the page is empty and is an invitation.
Could you have more precision?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
canofan said:
I could not find the folder with passwd. I found a command with passwd in ETC but the page is empty and is an invitation.
Could you have more precision?

I checked my box and I have the following file in
/var/etc/passwd
It has four lines with all kind of info which I don't understand, but it starts with root
It doesn't show my real default password : dream
So I guess this is not that helpful after all. Sorry.

P3t3r_2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox with router and pc
My Location
Nigeria
You are on the right track,

Once you have located the file passwd (not the one with passwd-) with tuxcom, press 4 on remote to go into edit mode.
The first line is root:*****:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

where the ****** delete it (by using remote arrows to move cursor right and then pressing volume minus)
delete *** until upto :0:0:root

and press ok and exit -> save

the first line should look like this after the edit
root::0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh

then login with user root and password leave empty

you could telnet and change the empty password with your own so no one can easily hack into your dm box.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks P3t3r_2 for this useful information.
AFAIK, this is the first time that anyone has shown us how to reset the password of the Dreambox using Tux Commander. :-worship:-worship

But canofan mentioned that there was no data in this file, so how do you account for that?

@ canofan,
Hope that this method works for you.
You will find that using a USB keyborad with your 7000S much easier to navigate and input data than using the remote.
As you are using a USB flash for the var, then just use a 4 port USB hub for both.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Actually the page P3t3r_2refers to is as he said.
Thanks. This allows me to access my box through my internal network without password. And I shall set a new password once I am there. Ithis does not work I'll use telnet.

cesco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 500 & DB 600 pvr Motorised
My Location
FAR FAR AWAY
thanks for everyone for the useful info re password but the thing is that i don't want to reset the password i just want to confirm it and write it down somewhere so i will not loose it again.
i managed to go var/etc/passwd but then on the root line i found a very long line full of letters and nos. how can i convert this to the correct password pls?

thanks in advance for your help

rgds
cesco

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
cesco said:
thanks for everyone for the useful info re password but the thing is that i don't want to reset the password i just want to confirm it and write it down somewhere so i will not loose it again.
i managed to go var/etc/passwd but then on the root line i found a very long line full of letters and nos. how can i convert this to the correct password pls?

thanks in advance for your help

rgds
cesco

Post #9 shows you how to do it.
Either you know the password or you don't.
If you know it, then you can login using an FTP application, etc.
If you don't know it, then you need to reset it.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland

P3t3r_2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox with router and pc
My Location
Nigeria
Hello to everyone

First of all sorry to Legless i didn't know there was a post which covered the password reset before.

For cesco, there are many ways to get into a dreambox without resetting the password. eg.

1) New user (Will cover)
2) Brute/hack (I will not cover this as its illegal)
3) Backdoors (Again will not cover)

If I am breaking any rules to the forum, I am sorry and please remove this post asp.

The main reason people have a password on the dreambox is to keep hackers out :) or card share server providers to keep people out of the cam configs.

But with Tux Commander you can still have access to cam config with password not known. This is why I will cover on how to gain access (local) to a dreambox without resetting password...

Step 1:
use Tux Commander to locate the passwd file ( location: /var/etc/passwd)

Step 2:
Insert a new line after the first line root:****:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh
and write this (replace <name_user> with a user eg. Pete)

<name_user>::0:0:<name_user>:/home/root:/bin/sh

so lines should look like

root:****:0:0:root:/home/root:/bin/sh (Line 1)
Pete::0:0:pete:/home/root:/bin/sh (Line 2)

Step 3:
save.

That's it! Now login via ftp or web interface user <Pete> password empty!

(You can remove the user by removing the line added!)

Bye

azraeil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500-S connected to a D-Link DI-624 router (my iMac is also connected to this router)
My Location
Saudi Arabia
I'm on a card sharing server and I'm pretty sure I can't even download the TuxBox add-on (If I go to add-on, I cannot find any other option, no Gemini Server etc). Am I correct that the only thing left to get my dreambox back is to re-flash it? I have also found out that my box is a fake/clone (based on it's Mac address, the box was provided by the "satellite provider" here). I'm a really really really newbie on this stuff and I've read the Idiot's Guide (which was extremely helpful to this idiot) but I'm pretty much stuck at trying to get the password reset. I've downloaded DreamupLan and downloaded Gemini 4.2 (as I've read that downloading 4.3 and above will kill my fake dreambox).

Am I on the right path here? Thanks for all your help, masters and Sifus.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you change your password your CS may stop working.

What image are you using? And welcome to the forum :)

azraeil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500-S connected to a D-Link DI-624 router (my iMac is also connected to this router)
My Location
Saudi Arabia
I'm not sure what image I have. I'll go back home and take a note of it (ermm how do I go about doing that in the first place?)

About the CS not working, I suspect as much. I guess, if that is the case, the only way forward for me is to pay the 600 bucks to the "satellite provider" to continue watching my HBO's and MSNBC ... damn. At the moment all the premium channels are not working while all FTA are okay. Need to cough-up some money coz I miss my MSNBC especially this close to the election ...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel