divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
Hi all,

Are there any hotspots outside southern Africa to receice this beam?

Is the uplink for pro7,3sat,rtl,sat1,ard,zdf,bayern radio done from Europe, or do they receive Astra in South Africa?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Do you know where south african satellite DX-ers hang out???

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
Must be very difficult in London with elevation of 4.6 on a 90cm dish.Paris is 6.9 and Berlin 11.9 also on 90cm.Could someone in Europe with a motorised dish also try SABC International on the same satellite ie 68,5 E,12722V,26657.

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
wium said:
Must be very difficult in London with elevation of 4.6 on a 90cm dish.Paris is 6.9 and Berlin 11.9 also on 90cm.Could someone in Europe with a motorised dish also try SABC International on the same satellite ie 68,5 E,12722V,26657.

Hello wium,

You are right, it really is difficult in a built-up area. Moreover, below 5* elevation there is ground noise, even with a perfect line of sight , so you need to compensate with a bigger dish to what sat sig map shows your min. dish size can be. Personally, (my set-up is temporary, I hope) I can't position my dish beyond 28.2*E, b/c of a house wall and it's on the roof a single-storey workshop. But serious DXers receive 68.5*E 24/7 even in Wales and probably you can get 24/7 in more than 2/3rds of the uk territory if you really want to; after all the sig is rather strong. But it's NOT easy.

wium, when I posted this I wanted to hear if what you call dstv multichoice could be received in Europe or North Africa... but also I'd like to ask you if you know of a discussion board, any forum about south african satellite tv, b/c there was a new sat platform from Jo'burg supposed to to launch with more programs (I read abt it in Tele-Satellite int'l mag). And do you know of people with BUDs (big ugly dishes) esp. solid ku-band monster dishes who receive ASTRA or HOTBIRD sats? Is 26*E badr (arabsat) possible to get in SA?

Do you know of a way in which German channels get on the dstv platform?
I am sure SABC news int'l is very good. I read that it is like a CNN of Africa.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
divibi said:
Hello wium,

You are right, it really is difficult in a built-up area. Moreover, below 5* elevation there is ground noise, even with a perfect line of sight , so you need to compensate with a bigger dish to what sat sig map shows your min. dish size can be. Personally, (my set-up is temporary, I hope) I can't position my dish beyond 28.2*E, b/c of a house wall and it's on the roof a single-storey workshop. But serious DXers receive 68.5*E 24/7 even in Wales and probably you can get 24/7 in more than 2/3rds of the uk territory if you really want to; after all the sig is rather strong. But it's NOT easy.

wium, when I posted this I wanted to hear if what you call dstv multichoice could be received in Europe or North Africa... but also I'd like to ask you if you know of a discussion board, any forum about south african satellite tv, b/c there was a new sat platform from Jo'burg supposed to to launch with more programs (I read abt it in Tele-Satellite int'l mag). And do you know of people with BUDs (big ugly dishes) esp. solid ku-band monster dishes who receive ASTRA or HOTBIRD sats? Is 26*E badr (arabsat) possible to get in SA?

Do you know of a way in which German channels get on the dstv platform?
I am sure SABC news int'l is very good. I read that it is like a CNN of Africa.

Hi divibi,

Please read the forum rules about posting about other forums.
Although you will not be breaking the rules yourself, but a helpful member might give a link and then he will be breaking the rules.
So please try to find this info from somewhere else.

R

Rd100

I can receive MC from 68.5 east on a 1.8m dish in c-band in the uk, I can Also receive MC from 36 east on my 3.7m dish in ku-band

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
realy sounds amazing,is the kuband signal in kuband stable,or depents on the weather?
how strong is the signal? (db)?
this satelite will be replaced in aproximently 2 years!
then i hope it will be much stronger then!

do you reveive all multichoice transponders with 1,80m dish in cband?
3836 is the stronges the others are weaker,on 3863 dont have any signal at the moment,when sun is shining ,blue sky signal is much lower,then in night time
and clear sky!
dordashan i can only watch in the night,japanese ytn sometimes i can watch,now signal is away,same ujala tv,4 month ago i have good signal now it is away!
do you also reveive the rusian ntv channels circular with your 3,7 m dish in uk?

uk footprint of this satelite,is better then here !
but how much?
i think i have no luck to receive it here!
thanx,for your repy!:)

Strathclyde

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Slingbox, Virgin broadband
My Location
London
This is stretching the limits of my tech capability (and this thread is the most relevant I've managed to find), but can anyone tell me if it's possible to pick up a Ku-band channel from IS-7 (68.5E) in the UK?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ku band on IS7 is South Africa only

_http://www.lyngsat.com/intel7.html

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Agreed the original beam into Europe went when they replaced the satellite three or more years ago.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
I'm in south caucassus. Can't receive Multichoice in Ku band using 1.2m offset dish.

iumarumo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600.
80cm fixed dish. 13degrees.
My Location
United Kingdom
So am gathering from this thread that DSTV (multichoice) is not available on either 68.5E or 36E from London? Or at least not without a "big ugly dish"?

I can understand 68.5E, as the elevation is below 5 degrees, but why not 36E (eutelsat w4)?

from the yes-am-a-newbie-so-please-forgive-the-way-the-question-is-expressed dept.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The satellites are using spot beams focussed onto the southern part of the African continent.

Imagine a beam from a huge torch held high above the Earth with the beam pointing at South Africa. Theres will be sod all illumination anywhere north of the equator. Same idea with the satellite spot beam.

iumarumo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600.
My Location
United Kingdom
Thanks for the illustration - I think I get it now.

Unfortunately, i've just ordered a dstv card, and based my decision on the data i gathered off dishpointer for my location. Aaaargh.

I guess am in need of alternative solutions...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
iumarumo said:
Thanks for the illustration - I think I get it now.

Unfortunately, i've just ordered a dstv card, and based my decision on the data i gathered off dishpointer for my location. Aaaargh.

I guess am in need of alternative solutions...

Can you cancel the order, at least until you figure out the required dish size needed. It is not a cheap package.
My suggestion is to check if you can watch any FTA channels that belong to this package. This should give you some assurance that the encrypted channels will open as well with the card.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Some of the 36E channels are available in Europe as they use a European beam - so dont get excited if you find you can watch some channels - Id say theres no hope whatsoever of getting anything off the South African beam without a very large dish indeed.

iumarumo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600.
My Location
United Kingdom
Well I have some family in Africa, so I got them to order an additional card with 3 months subscription on my behalf so cancelling shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm expecting the card any day, and wanted to have it in hand before i got a motorized dish to replace my existing fixed setup. My current dish is only 60cm in size, and likely not big enough for the task.

Am really new here, and simply looking to play around with alternative packages to Sky. DSTV with sports and english programs, etc seemed to fit the bill nicely...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
iumarumo said:
Well I have some family in Africa, so I got them to order an additional card with 3 months subscription on my behalf so cancelling shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm expecting the card any day, and wanted to have it in hand before i got a motorized dish to replace my existing fixed setup. My current dish is only 60cm in size, and likely not big enough for the task.

Am really new here, and simply looking to play around with alternative packages to Sky. DSTV with sports and english programs, etc seemed to fit the bill nicely...

You can try to put it on sale in the forum's No Trade Section.
I think members in the Middle East (Israel, Greece, Cyprus) have no problem with foot prints and they might be interested, even with 3 months sub.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
iumarumo said:
My current dish is only 60cm in size, and likely not big enough for the task.

No chance whatsoever with such a tiddly dish - at a guess you would need to start at something around 5m for the Ku band stuff - possibly much much bigger!

You *might* get the C-band stuff off 68E with a 2.5-3m dish, although the elevation will be very low indeed.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
i would recpmended 3 meter mesh dish,with 2,40 meter i got only 2 multichoice transponder all the time the transponder 3744 and 3836 is the weakest of all,it only works when its deep cloudy and foggy outside:)

the reason,that the multichoice transponder are so weak is,that the now 10 year old satelite intelsat 10 ,has a damage and lost 25% Power on one solar panel!
also the most big progroblem is that other channels on the same freqency,then multichoice using the other polarisation,with a little bit difrent symbolrate NHK on other polarisation,and,also the ary tv package,that you can subsrcibe in uk,is on the other polarisation,when this transponder would be empty,then multichoice should be much stronger!

i hope that this satelite will be replaced,in aproximently 2 years ,but ,when the will using cband spotbeams ,like on thaicom 5 (reginonal )beam now,then much larger dishes are reqeired then on the old satelite before!

iguassu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM120; Prod 240,
My Location
Scotland
Just thought I should make an input to all this stuff.
Multichoice/DSTV have four beamed "Ku" band transmissions for Africa.
Africa (wide beam) W4
Nigeria (Spot beam) W4
Africa (southern sub-Sahara) SESAT/W4
South Africa (only) Intelsat 7

Eutelsat W4 has beams to Europe and Russian states but they do NOT carry and Multichoice/DSTV channels.

There is no beam that even tickles Europe so reception is impossible.

"C" band reception in Europe from Intelsat 10 is possible but requires a BIG antenna.

So much for a bit of enlightenment. We deal with DSTV transmissions all the time commercially.

Hope the above is useful to all concerned.;)