Advice Needed Please on a mesh dish

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi, i am considering getting a 2.4/3.0mtr mesh dish to install at high level, i have read reports in the past about certain brands not performing very well, what would you recommend please, i do know that KU band wont be good but if i could get a 2.4 / 3.0 that matched the 1.8 CM in KU band i would be very happy:).

Kveys

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125 Gibertini, Stab-120 (30W-86.5E), TM-F3/5/TM-5302HD+230Pf (C-band 40.5W-87.5E)
My Location
Southern Finland
New pole 001.JPG

My 2.3m giving about same ku-signal levels as my 125 Gibertini. Sure I had only 2 days testing period at that time. 3m would be better I suppose. Working fine on 4 GHz and what´s most important-> IT sure looks nice, and you have such a wonderful garden and mesh will be perfect there...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
View attachment 87478

My 2.3m giving about same ku-signal levels as my 125 Gibertini. Sure I had only 2 days testing period at that time. 3m would be better I suppose. Working fine on 4 GHz and what´s most important-> IT sure looks nice, and you have such a wonderful garden and mesh will be perfect there...

Thank you Kveys, that's sounding promising then, a 3mtr should be nearly on par to the 1.8 in KU?, and will beat the 1.8 in C band ?,

What model is the one you have / a link to it if you can please :).

Kveys

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125 Gibertini, Stab-120 (30W-86.5E), TM-F3/5/TM-5302HD+230Pf (C-band 40.5W-87.5E)
My Location
Southern Finland
Sorry I dont remember anymore what model it is. Our finnish satshop sold these but just checking and there´s not mesh dishes anymore. Some US model anyway.

A

Anonymous_1

Yes martin, a 3.1m mesh dish or micromesh is similar as 1.6/1.80m KU , I made some tests long time ago here.

personally, I prefer to use mesh only in Cband only and solid dish for KU band (or cband), and don't forget if you want ku and cband you will need a corrotor and then your signal will decrease again.

It's better for you to let your channel master for KU and add the mesh for cband only.

This is only my point of view based on my little experience ...

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
The only difference between mesh and solid dish is that mesh works good only in C-band but solid dish works good in both, C an Ku. So, why we need mesh dishes?

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Sorry I dont remember anymore what model it is. Our finnish satshop sold these but just checking and there´s not mesh dishes anymore. Some US model anyway.

Thanks for your help Kveys :)

Yes martin, a 3.1m mesh dish or micromesh is similar as 1.6/1.80m KU , I made some tests long time ago here.

personally, I prefer to use mesh only in Cband only and solid dish for KU band (or cband), and don't forget if you want ku and cband you will need a corrotor and then your signal will decrease again.

It's better for you to let your channel master for KU and add the mesh for cband only.

This is only my point of view based on my little experience ...

Thank you Feedsat, i would love to do it that way but it would mean having two big dishes at high level and i don't wont that, i am wanting one big dish on a full arc C/KU but its got to be a light dish,

I could put the KU as the main LNB and have two C band either side might be the way to go with a 3mtr mesh dish.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I think performance is more important parameter of the sat system. Weight is always relative... for heavier antenna we use more durable mounts (and I am sure you can manage that issue). Conspiracy is very personal thing, anyway 2 meters mesh and 2 meters solid dishes are same sized :-rofl2

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Mesh is still less noticeable no mater what hair you want to split:D, if a 3mtr mesh dish performs like a 1.6 in KU i would be happy because C band will be better i stand a chance of 68,5 E C band, so to me its a good trade off :)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
if a 3mtr mesh dish performs like a 1.6 CM in KU i would be happy because C band will be better i stand a chance of 68,5 E C band, so to me its a good trade off
If you going to use LNB changer (C-Ku) than 3m mesh will probably work like 1,6m solid, but if Ku-band LNB will be multifeeded, than 3m mesh will probably bring performance in Ku like 1,5m or maybe even 1,2m. Do you really need that?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
If you going to use LNB changer (C-Ku) than 3m mesh will probably work like 1,6m solid, but if Ku-band LNB will be multifeeded, than 3m mesh will probably bring performance in Ku like 1,5m or maybe even 1,2m. Do you really need that?

Moved a few post here Rimants, Ku will only be for the ends of the arc, i will be having PF 2.2/2.4 at low level with C band/ku, yes pal this is what i want :)

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
this is what i want
Yes, Martin! it is good if we get what we want! But, seriously, I do not see any advantages of mesh dishes. I understand that some plastic dishes (Channel Master, Prodelin etc.) also have mesh inside, but that mesh ir very fine and holds it shape cuz it is melted inside plastic. But purely sieve dishes are different, completely another story. That is IMHO.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Yes, Martin! it is good if we get what we want! But, seriously, I do not see any advantages of mesh dishes. I understand that some plastic dishes (Channel Master, Prodelin etc.) also have mesh inside, but that mesh ir very fine and holds it shape cuz it is melted inside plastic. But purely sieve dishes are different, completely another story. That is IMHO.

If i thought i could get away with a 3mtr solid dish on a 12ft high pole i would Rimants :) i might not get away with a mesh one,

But a mesh dish is easier to find cheaper and less money lost if i had to take it down, in an ideal world i would never consider a mesh dish, but its the best way for me to go:)

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Mesh is still less noticeable no mater what hair you want to split:D, if a 3mtr mesh dish performs like a 1.6 in KU i would be happy because C band will be better i stand a chance of 68,5 E C band, so to me its a good trade off :)

Martin,

You might get some QPSK modulation C Band signals from 68.5E with a 3m dish but I would not be sure about 8PSK modulation. To the best of my knowledge, the 8PSK C Band signals from 68.5E need a higher signal level to get a lock, however, I could be wrong on that point.

I think the 68.5E 8PSK modulation C Band signals would be the ultimate triumph for a UK located DXer, possibly one of the most difficult ones to get a lock onto. I know "Feedsat_DXer" can get a lock on these with a 3.1m dish in the South of France but I don't know if anyone in the UK has managed to achieve this with a 3m dish.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
So, why we need mesh dishes?
Windage.

With large, sometimes very large, dishes needed for C band the forces on a solid dish from strong winds could be quite considerable. It's cheaper to put a mesh dish in than reinforce the mountings on a solid dish.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Martin,

You might get some QPSK modulation C Band signals from 68.5E with a 3m dish but I would not be sure about 8PSK modulation. To the best of my knowledge, the 8PSK C Band signals from 68.5E need a higher signal level to get a lock, however, I could be wrong on that point.

I think the 68.5E 8PSK modulation C Band signals would be the ultimate triumph for a UK located DXer, possibly one of the most difficult ones to get a lock onto. I know "Feedsat_DXer" can get a lock on these with a 3.1m dish in the South of France but I don't know if anyone in the UK has managed to achieve this with a 3m dish.

Thanks for the information Dave, well I can certainly give it a good go:), i do well from my location so who knows,

I did read @nelson_b had a go at some point i cant recall what he got ? hope nelson will let us know and maybe his 3mtr can see this position ?:)

Windage.

With large, sometimes very large, dishes needed for C band the forces on a solid dish from strong winds could be quite considerable. It's cheaper to put a mesh dish in than reinforce the mountings on a solid dish.

That's just it Paul and cost:), i could swap to a 3mtr mesh with what i have in place now:). to put a 3mtr solid dish in the same position i would have to do some serious modifications.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for the information Dave, well I can certainly give it a good go:), i do well from my location so who knows,

I am looking forward to this project unfolding, I feel sure there will be some nice improvisations and ingenuity involved along the road. Your satellite dish life has never been the same since you got that 1.5m Precision, you got the itch now for BIG prime focus. If it's big it must be good, if you're gonna have one have a big'un.

Kveys

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern Finland
I know 68.5E situate quite low there in Uk but you have better footprint than I have here in Finland. @moonbase said right that 8PSK frequencies are difficult to see , but few upper freq. are stronger here at my qth with 2.3m mesh. These are for e.g 4118V, 4090H and 4013H. Mostly 24/7 watchable here.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I am looking forward to this project unfolding, I feel sure there will be some nice improvisations and ingenuity involved along the road. Your satellite dish life has never been the same since you got that 1.5m Precision, you got the itch now for BIG prime focus. If it's big it must be good, if you're gonna have one have a big'un.

So am i Dave :) yes they will be a few improvisations, i will look forward to making a big mount :), yes i love my 1.5 even though the wind has spun it round on the test bed :eek:

I know 68.5E situate quite low there in Uk but you have better footprint than I have here in Finland. @moonbase said right that 8PSK frequencies are difficult to see , but few upper freq. are stronger here at my qth with 2.3m mesh. These are for e.g 4118V, 4090H and 4013H. Mostly 24/7 watchable here.

Thanks for the information Kveys :) well i do well at 68.5 E with KU on the 1.2 ive not moved the 1.8 this far yet it blocks the sky dish and my wife doesn't like loosing here sky, my signals here are just as strong as 28E on the 1.2 :eek: so you never know your luck , time will tell :)