Setting up VLC and DreamBox Internet interface

121fred

Reaction score
My Location
Tasmania Australia
Hi Haggard

Re DreamstreamX latest release streams using VLC ok but won't record. Do you have a contact email for the author as his web site won't work for me and the program registration address also doesn't work. I would really like to contact him about his program.

cheers 121fred

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi haggard,

Thanks for that. Not that it helps it to work but explains why it doesn't.
The good thing is that overall it is better than the trex/tuxvision/dreamtv combination which was always dubious quality, jerky and waiting to crash.
We'll just have to wait for him to have lots of spare time so he can improve it.
Or someone else to come up with something better!

73 & thanks for your help.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
121fred said:
Hi Haggard

Re DreamstreamX latest release streams using VLC ok but won't record. Do you have a contact email for the author as his web site won't work for me and the program registration address also doesn't work. I would really like to contact him about his program.

cheers 121fred
Fred, there is an email address in the DreamstreamX little guide.
I dont think its fair to post 3rd party emails here without their knowledge.
Kick-ass site comes up and down like a yo-yo. The guide is a separate download. It is very annoying when a new version is released and somehow the version you have finds out and refuses to work, and then the kick-ass site is down.
I have never had more than a second of streaming before VLC quit so I would be interested to know your kit. Even tho I 'only' have a 667MHz G4 tit, this fast enough for streaming cos it works from web browser.

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
This works great.

I use Firefox as my primary browser but have to use IE for my online banking and for buying from Amazon which is a rare occurance nowadays.

I have vlc installed as a dvd player and player of dvd-rips but also recommend the ace mega codecs pack.

Only issue is that the Dreambox has to be on. If it was able to stream in standby the Mrs could watch stuff on Sky like the God awful Celebrity Big Brother.

As I work from home as a web designer I get to enjoy the Dreambox a little more than some of the people on here.

Currently watching Ocko Tv on 19.2 East but primarily check to see what films are going to be on and record them and watch them back tonight or on a rainy day.

The Deambox really is fab

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Have to agree that the DB is a seriously fun piece of kit. Mine is complimented by a SkyStar 2 card, another excellent chunk of hardware. Forget all this streaming nonsense! :p

They are so cheap and easy to set up, have excellent support, give you good quality TV on your desktop, are completely independent of any other box in any power state (I have a twin LN:cool: and are a great backup to the DB if you don't have another receiver. They are also as futureproof as the Dreambox. In fact more so as the supporting hardware (i.e. the PC) does not have the same limitations (64MB memory?!?!?!?! NOOOOO). It effectively provides the twin tuner that the DB is missing. The DB plays back the files from the SS2 perfectly - I cant tell the differance in picture quality. And it drives my dish properly!!!

:D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i also agree :) i not only get to watch the foorball (its like a man u season ticket... only you dont have to join a 10 year waiting list :rollseyes:

and all the files i download via the newsgroups, ie movies and high definition episodes of star trek enterprise etc etc... plus the game trailers and stuff from gamespot... i even found a website with funny videos on it (you must have seen em, the annoying thing and the ford ka evil twin ads, and people hurting themselves trying to do stupid things lol). well i have a folder with about 30 of them on too

the Dreambox is a proper entertainment system :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
Even tho I 'only' have a 667MHz G4 tit, this fast enough for streaming cos it works from web browser.

Using Dual 1gHz Mac G4 and VLC runs without any problems - I can use the Internet at the same time.

Have it running in a window now, can move the window around the screen without the picture stalling.

piersuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Hi guys

Followed all your instructions to the letter and all goes well until I am asked by VLC for a logon and password. root and dreambox don't work though they are fine through the web interface. Tried with firewall off - no different.

Thanks

Piers

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What Dreambox do you have?

piersuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Sorry, it's a 500s

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Had a scout about but so far can't see anything - will keep trying.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
There must be 2 threads about vlc (dvd to PC and vlc is the other one). Haven't seen this one before so I'll see if I can get it going. 'O'-red

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
Hello,does the enigma web interface works with Mozilla and internet explorer on windows 7?sometimes it opens but as i pres to open in vlc it's opens the windows media player and tells me that cant watch the file?since i made win 7 i never saw a picture with the enigma on pc,i reinstalled vlc but the same problem,

what's wrong?

:eek::eek:

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
Windows 7 incorporates IE8 which has always given me problems. I use Firefox without issues

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
WildBit said:
Windows 7 incorporates IE8 which has always given me problems. I use Firefox without issues

what you mean without issues?you mean you open enigma web interface without problems?i still open it but the main reason is that when i click vlc to open the desired picture on my pc it opens me the windows media player ,and the station won't play because win med player tells me that can't find the file,but i don't know why the win media player is opening instead of the vlc

how come this ?

thanks

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @shankly769,

What is needed is to associate VLC with both .M3U (for A/V streams) and .PLS (for Audio only streams) files.
Sorry but I know nothing about Windows 7.

However, for XP you would open Control Panel, click Tools in the top bar, select Folder Options, click File Types tab, scroll down to M3U, click M3U, click Change, select VLC from the list and click OK.
Then do same again for PLS files.

There is probably something similar in Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, John.

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
td03-5 said:
Hi @shankly769,

What is needed is to associate VLC with both .M3U (for A/V streams) and .PLS (for Audio only streams) files.
Sorry but I know nothing about Windows 7.

However, for XP you would open Control Panel, click Tools in the top bar, select Folder Options, click File Types tab, scroll down to M3U, click M3U, click Change, select VLC from the list and click OK.
Then do same again for PLS files.

There is probably something similar in Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, John.

Hi,thanks and i appreciate but i don't have any similar you said in win 7

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @shankly769,

I Googled (you could have done the same!!:D) and found this:

Assign New File Association via Windows Vista or Windows 7 Set Associations

1. Open Control Panel. Then go to Programs and click Make a file type always open in a specific program.

Alternatively, in the Classic View, open Default Programs and then click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
2. In the Set Associations folder, locate and highlight a file type by extension or protocol, and then click on Change Program button.
3. An Open With window will appear. Choose a program to open the kind of file from the list of programs available. By default, Recommended Programs is automatically expanded. However, there is more detected programs in the section of Other Programs, which can be expanded to select by clicking on Down Arrow at the end of the separator line.

If the program that you want to use as the default program is not found, click Browse to select an executable file manually.

Assign New Program as Default File Association
4. Click OK button.

Hope this works for you?

Best wishes, John.

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
Hi John i did what you suggested but still win media player is opening and tell me that i cant whatc it

image attached

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
an image is attached

what's wrong?

i want to edit my image but first i want to remove this,how can i?

Attachments

• enigma..doc
    358 KB · Views: 130