Setting up VLC and DreamBox Internet interface

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @shankly769,

As I have said I have not used Windows 7 so cannot comment from first hand experience.
However, try this test. I have attached a zipped 'video.m3u' file similar to the one your Dreambox is sending. Download it to a folder on your PC. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever is used on Windows 7 as the file manager), navigate to that folder so that you can see the 'video_m3u.zip' file and extract the 'video.m3u'. Now double click on file 'video.m3u', VLC should open., It will not be able to play anything but that is not important. What is important is that VLC opens and NOT Windows Media Player. If VLC does not open then check the settings again for File Association (as per my previous post) and make sure it shows VLC as the default program to open and/or play .m3u files. If it does not, then something went wrong with your attempt to change it to VLC. Try again. Do you have administrator rights etc.

Let's know how you get on?

Best wishes, John.

Attachments

• video_m3u..zip
    196 bytes · Views: 75

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
Hi,i did everything but no success

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
The problem is that Firefox has its own file association system that's completely separate to windows file association. Whenever you download a file, the application used to open it will be decided by Firefox, not windows.

To change Firefox file association, go to Tools -> Options -> Applications. Find the entry for m3u files and change the action value to 'VLC'.

PS: I use Windows 7 and don't have any problems streaming with Windows Media Player.

shankly769

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 2110
My Location
gozo
Hi,thanks to you all, i fixed it,yes I'm working now,thanks folks

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @shankly769,

Glad you've got it sorted.
Thanks @compufunk, I expect it was your input that really sorted things out for him.
I had forgotten that as it does not work that well on Firefox 2 under Linux here. In most cases Firefox will chose the Linux default rather than the Firefox default!! So, thank you for pointing that out.

Best wishes, John.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Hi John, yes its a little different under Linux versions of Firefox. I dont even see an option to configure these settings under Firefox on Linux Mint.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @compufunk,

Here with FF2 and Xandros Linux on an Eee PC 900, it's under: Edit, Preferences, Content, File Types - click Manage, scroll to and select m3u, click Change Action, set required action and click OK, click Close.
However, for some file types I have set it to use VLC but it still opens that type of file with Mplayer!

Best wishes, John.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Here is another method for those who have difficulty using webif streaming. It should also be ok with the mipsel boxes (800, 7025 and 8000) and the 600pvr and 7020 with enigma2 images. Tested with vlc 0.8.6.

May look difficult - but actually is quite easy once you do it. :)

To stream currently playing channel :-

(1) Telnet command :-

wget -q -O - h**p://127.0.0.1/web/getpid

or

wget -q -O - h**p://dreambox-ip/web/getpid

The reply will be (or example):-

h**p://192.168.1.3:31339/0,200,a2,58

Start vlc media player and do :-

File -> Open File -> Network -> select HTTP and copy and paste the telnet pid reply. Press OK and streaming should start.

If streaming does not start - Restart vlc and do :-

File -> Open Network Stream -> select HTTP and copy and paste the telnet pid reply.

Select Stream/Save -> Settings -> select Play locally and Select all elementary streams -> press OK.

Record :-

To record - in Network Stream Stream/Save - select File.

Zap to another channel :-

Find the bouquet list from /etc/enigma2/bouquet

You can also get the bouquet name by telnet :

wget -q -O - h**p://127.0.0.1/web/getservices

Then get the service ref for the channels in a bouquet by (for example for 'favourites' bouquet) telnet :-

wget -q -O - h**p://127.0.0.1/web/getservices?sRef=1:...%20BY%20bouquet

Save the channel ref (e2servicereference) list.

To zap to a channel - telnet (for example) :-

wget -q -O - h**p://127.0.0.1/web/zap?sRef=channel ref

Regards, pcd.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi PCD,

Thanks for that.
In fact, thats basically the method I use but in an automated form. I assumed that most people would use the Enigma Webif and then click the PIDs (Video or Audio) but I use a 'sort of' application I have written in Linux Shell Script and a VLC playlist. I've been using it for a while and have set up 10 Video streams and 10 Audio streams (one at a time of course). Once it's all installed and set up on the Dreambox the VLC playlist (on the PC or Laptop) just does an http call to one of the stream ports (or playlists) I have designated, the box switches to the channel I have associated with that port and streams it.
The ports I used are 8000 to 8009 for my 10 Video streams and 8050 to 8059 for my 10 Audio streams. Obviously any convenient unused port numbers will do. I use XSPF playlists with VLC so I can just add Dreambox channels into an internet TV or Radio playlist just as though they were internet streams.
I did it because I streamed so much from the internet over Christmas last year that my ISP complained!!
Like this it's just as convenient but does not affect my download allowance as it is just streamed over my LAN/WiFi.

Best wishes, John.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi All,

Another quite convenient way to stream TV from a Dreambox to a PC/Laptop using VLC is to install Pli Zapstream on the Dreambox. The zapstream server is included in Pli Images but can easily be added to other images. I have it installed on my Gemini 4.70 image. Once installed, a VLC call to the zapstream port (31344) will stream the current channel.
When the Dreambox channel is changed, the zapstream, stream will change to the new channel without zapstream being closed and restarted (close & restart is always necessary with streamts, the normal Dreambox AV stream server on port 31339).

Channel change can be done manually on the Dreambox (using the remote control), via the Enigma Webif, or a wget command.
If the Webif or wget are used then the box can remain in standby while it is streaming.

If you want to move the channel change operation to a VLC Playlist or use a Media Player that can access streams but not web pages then my DreamSwitch system might be useful. Once DreamSwitch is installed and set-up on a Dreambox and a VLC Playlist created, all you need to do is open the playlist with VLC, double click on one of the channels in the playlist and the Dreambox will switch to that channel and stream it (similar principle for media players that can access stream addresses). It's a very convenient way to select from a small number of favourite channels.

DreamSwitch in action:

View attachment 28987

I have both the above (zapstream & DreamSwitch) available for DM7000S (Enigma 1) and if anyone is interested I would be pleased to post them with installation and use instructions.

Best wishes, John.

Attachments

• DreamSwitch..jpg
    DreamSwitch..jpg
    79 KB · Views: 84

ALoGeNo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
philips 6072
My Location
spain
http protocol, 192.168.1.x/video.m3u works forme :)

Regards

rmrspace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox
My Location
K.S.A
which version good VLC Media Player for stream from dreambox 500

!3r

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
EVOXS
My Location
Brazil
td03-5 said:
Channel change can be done manually on the Dreambox (using the remote control), via the Enigma Webif, or a wget command.
If the Webif or wget are used then the box can remain in standby while it is streaming.

If you want to move the channel change operation to a VLC Playlist or use a Media Player that can access streams but not web pages then my DreamSwitch system might be useful. Once DreamSwitch is installed and set-up on a Dreambox and a VLC Playlist created, all you need to do is open the playlist with VLC, double click on one of the channels in the playlist and the Dreambox will switch to that channel and stream it (similar principle for media players that can access stream addresses). It's a very convenient way to select from a small number of favourite channels.

I have both the above (zapstream & DreamSwitch) available for DM7000S (Enigma 1) and if anyone is interested I would be pleased to post them with installation and use instructions.
Can you share this work? I had no lucky in changing channels using zapstream in openpli images (DM500S)

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @!3r,

Thanks for your interest.
First the easy bit! I posted a guide to installing PLi Zapstream in other images here:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...de-installing-pli-zapstream-other-images.html

To use zapstream, just select a channel with the Enigma Webif (box in Standby or On) or the remote control (box On), then open VLC Media Player and select Open Network Stream, HTTP Stream and enter URL:
Code:
http://ip.address.of.dreambox:31344
Then click OK.
After a few seconds the stream should start.
When you change channels, with the Webif or Remote Control, the stream will follow the new channel, unlike the normal Dreambox stream server (streamts) which must be stopped and restarted each time the channel is changed.

Alternative methods of starting VLC are:
1. Create a text file containing:
Code:
http://ip.address.of.dreambox:31344
and save it as Zapstream.m3u
Make sure VLC is the default program to open m3u files and then just double click on Zapstream.m3u to start the stream.
2. Create a (desktop) Shortcut called Zapstream and containing:
Code:
vlc http://ip.address.of.dreambox:31344
Double clicking the shortcut will start the stream.

NB. If the Dreambox has been in Standby for some time and the Enigma Webif has not been opened to select a channel, then nothing will stream! Just open the Webif and select a channel and try again or turn the box On and try again.

I'm not sure why you had problems using Zapstream in PLi images but give the above methods a try and let me know how you get on?

DreamSwitch How-to will take a little longer. I was ready to tidy it up and post a how-to and all the files when I made the original post. However, as nobody seemed interested at that time, I did not do the tidy-up or how-to. The system is still working fine on my DM7000S but it will take a little time to remind myself of what needs to be done and pull it all together.

Let me know if you're still interested in DreamSwitch or if the above Zapstream information has resolved your problems?

Best wishes, John.

perparim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
My Location
kosovo
its not workin at my vlc its tryin to connect but not workin can somobody help pls or to fix it with teamviewer plz