Winter 2014's acoming so batten down the hatches......

Status
Not open for further replies.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Nothing like what other places got last night, but, Yay!! Snow!!! :D

Snow271214s.jpg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Looks no worse than dandruff to me!

Went out for a walk this afternoon and noted there was a dusting of snow on the very top of the Moors.

Off to Wilmslow tomorrow, so hope there's no further inclemency.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Its just starting again here, our road is like an ice skating ring atm, me and next door neighbour spent a good hour clearing our drives and part of the road in front this afternoon, and a 90 yr old ladies path:).
DSCN7131.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Snowing here too, now.

Got a long day trip in the offing for tomorrow: Have Wellies, will travel.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I hope I can get the wife to work in the morning she's a nurse and needs to be there, i tried this morning and had to head back home after getting stuck more than once, my old car a little polo i could get anywhere, this Peugeot is useless in the snow :(.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Had a fair bit of snow here last night I'm not far from Leeds.

Was a refreshing walk home last night from local pub and laughing at people trying to walk in shoes and slipping all over, I'd come prepared n wore some boots haha.

However saying that popped out to coop about half 7 tonight and nearly ended up on the floor a few icy patches on pavement.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What little we had last evening remains in situ, so there will be a 6km slither to the A19 when we set out on today's trip.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Nothing like that here, a bit of frost and that's about it. Hardly any snow, so far.
Last time we had snow it took me 3 hours, to travel 4 miles, from work, to home, a journey that used to take about 10-15 minutes, depending on traffic.
Since then I've moved house and our firm had to move, for extra room, so this time it could take even longer !!!!!!!!!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Since then I've moved house and our firm had to move, for extra room, so this time it could take even longer !!!!!!!!!!!

Try walking then... :-rofl2

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
A clear sky here this morning, though we had rain which turned to a light covering of snow as last nights temperatures dropped. Will probably light the log burner this afternoon, my stockpile of dried and seasoned peasants is fairly complete so I think I can afford to throw a few on the fire...

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Try walking then... :-rofl2
Walking????? What's that !!!!!!!!!
I used to walk to work, and back, and enjoyed it, unfortunately I no longer seem to have the time, and I can't carry all the stuff I need, for work, and other jobs I have to do.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
50mph winds here near Chartres yesterday, freezing this morning, winds dropping to 20mph, but not pleasant to walk the dog, as walking out across the fields with the wind at one's back requires a return journey with it straight in the face. :)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
50mph winds here near Chartres yesterday, freezing this morning, winds dropping to 20mph, but not pleasant to walk the dog, as walking out across the fields with the wind at one's back requires a return journey with it straight in the face. :)

You could always get a sled and have the dog pull you;)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Just been outside, the temperature has struggled up to 3C and as Rolf posted the wind is very cold....luckily I've got the log burner going as well as the Rayburn and it's 20C in the lounge....

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Driving through France Friday evening and yesterday we experienced pretty foul rain and wind going from Calais to our overnight stop in Rouen.

Yesterday was much a quieter start but the wind was certainly a bit gustier as we went past Chartres (hi Rolf!) on way down. As we hit the A77 it became much brighter and this stayed with us nearly all the way as we headed towards and then past Clermont Ferrand. Continuing along the A75 we left the autoroute to cut across the Auvergne on the N102 bypassing Le Puy. It had turned dark by this time but the weather was still clear although I watched the outside air temperature getting lower and lower as we climbed higher and higher.

The temperature dipped down to -1C and there was a dusting of snow in many places. By the time
we reached Aubenas it had risen to 5C and snow was noticeable by its absence and the ground The weather was calm and clear by the time we reached the Rhone valley and our second home.

This morning is bright and crisp. The sun is warm to the face. We spoke to a neighbour earlier and he tells us that the snow is "everywhere" up on Mont Ventoux and Mont Serein. I'm a bit too occupied to go and visit as we have no hot water or central heating at the moment. The pilot light
is resolutely unlit and I have started to dismantle the boiler. Hey ho. Just as well we have the electric kettle, gas cooker and wood burning stove.

Oh, and I have just heard the wind get up outside. This could be the start of a Mistral.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sun is shining! Frosty... -2.1C. Got my thermals on for realigning my Fibo 90cm dish with a proper bracket (thanks @RimaNTSS - I am finally getting around to it!). Cloudy tomorrow with a chance of rain and no much warmer, so I am picking the lesser of the two evils.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Was -5C here when I got up (just before the sun rose). There isn't a cloud in the sky and the temperature is climbing slowly. I've lit the log burner...no, that's a lie, it still had some glowing cinders from last night but by blowing on them with a plastic straw and putting on kindling, I managed to get a 'proper' fire going.

Not planning on any outside work (no thermals LOL) but mentally planning to swap two multisat dishes for a Wavefrontier 90 and moving the other two....oh and maybe having a dedicated 28E dish too....

Status
Not open for further replies.