£500 to Spend

ecotrojan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dell XPS Gen 5
BGonaSTICK said:
It's a computer in an STB-sized box which runs Linux. For the budget-type outlay you get top quality audio and video hardware, full IP networking, all the decrypting is done in software (so far less hardware-updating costs compared to other STB's) and unparalleled support from the world-wide community.

And it makes the tea. Alright, so I'm bending the truth a bit now.

You can even stream the video across the network to your PC, and even record it onto your hard disk.

Show me another box that can do that for the money, and I'll buy one of those too. :)

Evening, 1st post an all that.

I am considering getting a dreambox. Got about c.£500.00. Got a couple of questions though.

1) Which would you get for £500.00
2) Is the Dreambox easy to use.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
ecotrojan said:
Evening, 1st post an all that.

I am considering getting a dreambox. Got about c.£500.00. Got a couple of questions though.

1) Which would you get for £500.00
2) Is the Dreambox easy to use.

Being a non dreamer but being well read I would have to say 7000 since the 7020 has had a few bad reports.

However only an experienced user would say a dreambox is easy to use.... it cannot be described as the choice for a novice to satellite TVO-no

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Gonna split this re-name it & move it to the DB section to ellicit more responses.

L.:)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Welcome ecotrojan

Dreamboxes are one of the most adaptable receivers you can buy. Really they are Linux based computers with satellite tuners.

To get the best out of them you will need a PC and a fast internet connection. A lot of knowledge on networking and file transfers (all can be learned here).

If you are prepared to spend a lot of time then these are the receivers for you. Don't expect it to give you everything straight out the box and be prepared for a few hiccups along the way.

If you do decide to buy on the importing one from Germany is the cheapest option. Some people like to have the shop back-up so they buy from the UK.

Hope this helps - when you do get a Dreambox I look forward to your many visits.

Try reading the stickies at the top of this section - if you understand them - get yourself a Dreambox.

ecotrojan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dell XPS Gen 5
gameboy said:
Welcome ecotrojan

Dreamboxes are one of the most adaptable receivers you can buy. Really they are Linux based computers with satellite tuners.

To get the best out of them you will need a PC and a fast internet connection. A lot of knowledge on networking and file transfers (all can be learned here).

If you are prepared to spend a lot of time then these are the receivers for you. Don't expect it to give you everything straight out the box and be prepared for a few hiccups along the way.

If you do decide to buy on the importing one from Germany is the cheapest option. Some people like to have the shop back-up so they buy from the UK.

Hope this helps - when you do get a Dreambox I look forward to your many visits.

Try reading the stickies at the top of this section - if you understand them - get yourself a Dreambox.

Thanks, now i really am stumped at what to do. I was considering a Skystar 2 (and am currently bidding on eBay) . Then, reading the forums about the Dreambox 7 series i am now in two minds.

I know that the Dreambox will outclass the Skystar so I think the Dreambox is the way to go.

I will read the stickies and respond with any questions.

Thanks chaps,
Matt

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
ecotrojan said:
I will read the stickies and respond with any questions.

Do you use PCs a lot?
Do you have a good Internet connection?
What Satellites do you want to receive?
Motorised dish?

If you are prepared for a bit of effort then the users on here will help all they can.

ecotrojan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dell XPS Gen 5
gameboy said:
Do you use PCs a lot?
Do you have a good Internet connection?
What Satellites do you want to receive?
Motorised dish?

If you are prepared for a bit of effort then the users on here will help all they can.

1) yup - our lass has to email me if she wants to talk ;-)
2) 3mb down
3) After looking at Hotbird, Eutelsat, Atlantic Bird then I think just Astra 19 or 28. Most of the named satellites have crap on them.
4) Answer 3 sort of kills off motorised, I have searched the above satellites and apart from h/c mature content I dont think there was much to shout about so i would say YES as you never know what the future holds and whilst ive got the cash I may as well spend it.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Ectrojan

First of all welcome to the Dreambox section

I know many would disagree, but I for one think a 5620 is currently a very cheap option giving you the best value for money. As now it is a piece of cake to record and playback stuff from PC to Dreambox and return I would not spend too much moneyon anything more complicated. At the end of the day there is curently nothing I cannot watch that other DB can.

If you are still not sure, I can assure you that reading the Idiot guide and installing a Gemini image will be fairly easy, a matter of a few days play. With so many dreambox users around there is almost nothing that complicated anymore regarding the normal use of them. If I managed it, you can as well.

ecotrojan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dell XPS Gen 5
T_G said:
Hi Ectrojan

First of all welcome to the Dreambox section

I know many would disagree, but I for one think a 5620 is currently a very cheap option giving you the best value for money. As now it is a piece of cake to record and playback stuff from PC to Dreambox and return I would not spend too much moneyon anything more complicated. At the end of the day there is curently nothing I cannot watch that other DB can.

If you are still not sure, I can assure you that reading the Idiot guide and installing a Gemini image will be fairly easy, a matter of a few days play. With so many dreambox users around there is almost nothing that complicated anymore regarding the normal use of them. If I managed it, you can as well.

thanks mate