1 kabel with 2 receivers (fta and digibox)

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad drx100 sky digibox & finepass fta twin tuner
My Location
Austria
Hello!
I have a problem. I live in austria and am currently pointing 2 single lnbs at astra 19.2 and 28.2. The 2 single lnbs feed into a 2 in 1 diseqc box outside, which then feeds one kabel into the house.
I have two receivers, receiver one is a finepass twin tuner with loopthrough option, I have this configured so that diseqc position one points to astra 2 as the digibox has no diseqc options.
At the moment I have to keep putting my sat kabel into the box that i want to use ie. for the german channels my finepass on astra1 or my digibox for astra2.
Is there any way I can split the signal coming in, I dont need to be watching or have turned on both receivers at the same time, just dont want to have to keep taking the kabel in and out.
I have at home a "sat splitter 500-2400 mhz". will this do the job? or could i somehow connect my digibox to the loopthrough on my finepass receiver?
THNX

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I think it would be better to run two cables from each LNB and connect the cables PERMANENTLY to each receiver, and discard the diseq box outside.
This way you won't need to mess with the cable at the receiver end, which can ruin your receiver if you are not careful and connect when the box is not in shutdown state.
What was the reason for your present setup, apart from the fact that it looks neater with just one cable?

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Austria
I know that would be for sure the best way, prob is my wife isnt to happy with drilling another hole in the wall and pulling a new kabel through, but I also agree this would be the best method.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
spiderman999 said:
I know that would be for sure the best way, prob is my wife isnt to happy with drilling another hole in the wall and pulling a new kabel through, but I also agree this would be the best method.

Does the cable run from the Diseq output down to where the receivers are located and goes through a hole in the wall and then directly to the LNB input (i.e in one piece) or is there a wall outlet with F-Connector and then a short coaxial cable to the receiver?

Can you consider putting two wall outlets with F-Connector (or a single wall outlet with two F-Connectors if such a thing is available)?

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Austria
the 2 lnb kabels outside go into a diseqc box which is also outside, from the diseqc box is one kabel which then goes through the wall into the house and then into the receiver

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I was wondering if you are using a wall plate or not.

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Austria
ah sorry, no there is no wall plate just a hole in the wall

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Austria
I did read that it would be maybe possible to connect the digibox to the loopthrough on my fta receiver but dont quite understand how, my fta receiver is a twin tuner with loopthrough capabilities.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
OK. Found a picture of a wall plate with 2 F-connectors (used in Sky Plus)

Hope this would help.

Attachments

• faceplate_twin_sat.jpg
    faceplate_twin_sat.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 22

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
spiderman999 said:
I did read that it would be maybe possible to connect the digibox to the loopthrough on my fta receiver but dont quite understand how, my fta receiver is a twin tuner with loopthrough capabilities.

I used loopthrough to receive analog channels when they were available on Hot Bird 13E and since there are no more analog channels worth watching, I disconnected it.
I don't dare to mess with two receivers and I like to keep them isolated from each other as much as possible as this might ruin the LNB or one of the receivers.
Read the manual and check if this method can work, but personally I would do the two cables run.

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Austria
ok thanks for the help. I will see what I can sort out, as you said at the beggining the cleanest way would be to simply runtwo separate kabels through separatly.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The loopthrough should work OK. You would just connect the loopthrough connector to the 2nd Box. You will probably have to switch off the first box for the second one to work though.

If your receiver is a twin tuner, what are you connecting the input to the 2nd tuner to?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
spiderman999 said:
ok thanks for the help. I will see what I can sort out, as you said at the beggining the cleanest way would be to simply runtwo separate kabels through separatly.

There is also the added advantage that you can have both receivers on and you can record one channel and watch another on the TV.
This is something that you haven't enjoyed till now with your present setup.

spiderman999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Austria
Brilliant! Everything is working! without any kind of splitter. I have simply run a coaxial kabel from the loopthrough on my fta to the input on my digibox and what do you know all is working just how I wanted it to.
Many many thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
spiderman999 said:
Brilliant! Everything is working! without any kind of splitter. I have simply run a coaxial kabel from the loopthrough on my fta to the input on my digibox and what do you know all is working just how I wanted it to.
Many many thanks

However you will be limited on the 2nd receiver after the loopthrough since if the first receiver is on a Vertically polarised channel then you will not be able to watch a Horizontally polarised channel on the 2nd stb

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could be worse than that, as if the looped through receiver is a Sky digibox, it always powers the LNB and may override a Vertical command from the primary box.

Catskill

Reaction score
Website
www.bulgarianhousefinder.com
My Satellite Setup
1m Motorised dish with especta es-1130s receiver !!
My Location
Bulgaria
Ah, just the info i was looking for, i was thinking of running my analogue box from the loopthrough on my digital receiver...so after reading this post it looks like it should work just fine..