100 Years ago, Edwin H. Armstrong tried out a little circuit.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Regeneration amplification worked by feeding the initial received signal back into the circuit, giving greater sensitivity (up to some 30,000 times with later valve manipulation) and offering radio - then TV - broadcasts to be received at a far greater range.

He went on to invent frequency modulation as well as superhets.

Armstrong was paid well for his electrical work in communications, but his life was tarnished by others claiming they were the behind many of his inventions, and he committed suicide in 1954.

_http://www.yonkershistory.org/arms.html

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Ah, happy days. Before those new-fangled transistors appeared, I built a superregen FM reciever in the 50's using one Acorn ex-military valve. Managed to receive Wrotham FM 60-odd miles away clear as a bell with the proverbial wet string. Couldn't use anything larger, as superregens chuck out a lot of interference over a wide spectrum.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Us Armstrongs are smart people... :D

(Well, my surname isn't Armstrong, but the mothers' maiden name is!!)

ANd if you want to learn a basic history of the radio, I suggest watching The secret life of the Radio:

[video=youtube;2roG4jIjvEk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2roG4jIjvEk[/video]

:D