1080p HDTV with PC input

stvy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-s
My Location
norway
hi,

I was wondering if someone could educate me about the Pc input on HDTV's...

As I understand it this is a standard analogue 15pin VGA connector. But most of the TV's dont seem to be able to take a 1920x1080 PC signal. 1280x1024 seems to be the max.

Also since HDMI is a dual link DVI with HDCP in a different form factor, is their any reason why I can't just feed the TV with a DVI signal at 1920x1080p since my video card supports it? (With a suitable HDMI / DVI converter) Or will the TV refuse to accept the signal since it will not have HDCP. (Since my video card does not have HDCP.)

Do any 1080p TV's refuse to display content from a 1080p source which does not have HDCP?

Thanks,

Steve

member91040

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Does it you TV Support...! If you card send data then tv must accept if it has capability.

stvy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-s
My Location
norway
Hi,

First of all let me clarify that i do not currently own a 1080p tv. However I would like to buy one and use my laptop with it. The laptop has a DVI connector but does not have HDCP. The laptop supports output of 1920x1080 signal at various refresh rates. Ideally I would like to run at 60Hz. Does anyone know of a tv that can do this?

Thanks,

Stvy

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
From what i've seen for myself and read about 1080p inputs you can use a dvi to hdmi cable from your pc to a 1080p tv and get full hd. Using a dvi device with no hdcp will work fine on most tvs, i don't think that will be an issue.

olisun

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
, Fibo Gregorian 1.2mtr, Skystar 2
My Location
Hounslow
My Sony 40W2000 supports full 1920 X 1080p using a DVI-HDMI cable

stvy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-s
My Location
norway
Hi,

olisun - does your PC have HDCP on the DVI?

I plan on checking out this by taking my laptop down to a sony centre...

Thanks,

Stvy

stvy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-s
My Location
norway
Hi,

well I went down to a sony centre....

I was specifically asking about the KDL46X3000 set.

Q: Will this set accept a 1080p signal froma PC on a DVI ouput that does not have HDCP.

A: Yes

Q: Will this set accept a 1080p signal on the component input

A: Yes.

Now unfortunately they wouldn't let me test the DVI w/o HDCP myself even though I had my laptop there with me with a DVI/HDMI adapater and DVI cable. (As they would have to "disturb their display".... The did assure me it could. Incidently they said the X series was the only range that would take a 1080p over component as well. The other series can only take upto a 1080i over component.

Unfortunately I don't want to buy this set from a sony centre since they are 20% more expensive here in Norway than other retailers and will not price match.

So I was wondering has anyone else managed to test and confirm 100% that the lack of HDCP is not a problem?

Thanks,

Stvy

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
stvy said:
Hi,

well I went down to a sony centre....

I was specifically asking about the KDL46X3000 set.

Q: Will this set accept a 1080p signal froma PC on a DVI ouput that does not have HDCP.

A: Yes

Q: Will this set accept a 1080p signal on the component input

A: Yes.

Now unfortunately they wouldn't let me test the DVI w/o HDCP myself even though I had my laptop there with me with a DVI/HDMI adapater and DVI cable. (As they would have to "disturb their display".... The did assure me it could. Incidently they said the X series was the only range that would take a 1080p over component as well. The other series can only take upto a 1080i over component.

Unfortunately I don't want to buy this set from a sony centre since they are 20% more expensive here in Norway than other retailers and will not price match.

So I was wondering has anyone else managed to test and confirm 100% that the lack of HDCP is not a problem?

Thanks,

Stvy

Try to get hold of the manual and go over the relevant sections and the specification pages until you are satisfied.
At the Sony center they should have the manual for every set they put on display as it comes with the box, or try the internet.

olisun

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
, Fibo Gregorian 1.2mtr, Skystar 2
My Location
Hounslow
stvy said:
Hi,

olisun - does your PC have HDCP on the DVI?

I plan on checking out this by taking my laptop down to a sony centre...

Thanks,

Stvy

I have the 7600GT graphics card and I believe it does have HDCP on the DVI