1080p?

chewyjoint

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None as yet
My Location
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought a Panasonic Plasma tv capable of displaying HD transmissions upto 1080p but the 3 HD satellite receivers I've looked into - Technomate 9600, Kathrein and Sky HD only work at 1080i or 780p. Forgive my ignorance but is HD TV only transmitted at these resolutions or can you buy boxes capable of 1080p?

Also - please would someone explain the benefits of Linux based boxes and is the Technomate 9600 Linux based?

Many thanks in advance.

easkey

easkey
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SpiderBox 9000 HD - Technomate 1500+CI
1M dish - 3 LNB'S
Astra 19 - Hotbird and 1W
Sky Box on 90cm dish
Diablo Cam + Cas 3+prog
My Location
IRELAND
Broadcasts in 1080i utilize a higher resolution of 1920 x 1080.

The “i” stands for interlaced.
Interlaced images are painted in a two-pass process.
The first pass paints every other line, the second pass paints
the skipped lines.

The “p” stands for progressive scan.
Images are painted in a one-pass process.

There are no broadcasts in 1080p, (1920 x 1080 in progressive scan mode), and none expected anytime soon. However, there are digital formats that can produce a true 1080p signal: Blu-ray and HD DVD players. Only a 1080p HDTV can display Blu-ray and HD DVD in their native, full resolution formats. Among 1080p HDTVs there are also various models with different support modes. The newer models support 1080p/60, 1080p/30 and 1080p/24, with the latter number being frames per second. The 1080p is also preferable for gaming and PC use.

Linux is an open software....
So the box can be patched:toke::toke:

H

hoppo1

The TM is not Linux.
Linux allows you to do much more with your receiver. Look up card sharing and you will see what i mean:)
The payoff is that they take more time and patience to set up. Do plenty of reading about them before you buy one.
All that being said, I would not buy anything but a HD Linux box if I were to change my receiver but i have been dealing with the sat field for over 4 years now (& still get lost with some of the new boxes):-doh2
hoppo1

chewyjoint

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None as yet
My Location
United Kingdom
Thanks.

I've done a fair amount of reading of this and another forum and am considering the Dreambox 8000 in a couple of months time once it's readily available and hopefully a bit cheaper, along with a motorised dish.

Does that sound like a sensible choice?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I doubt you will get many answers on this because as yet as we do not have any idea what your reasons are for choosing this stb, what are your criteria?. We have no reports from anyone that has managed to buy one to say whether or not is is a good stb. Certainly it would seem to be pricey and it really depends on whether or not you are prepared to wait an unspecified length of time for it and whether or not you are prepared to be a guinea pig, as you may well end up doing a lot of beta testing and fault finding before it is working properly.

I am not trying to say it will be a bad stb just I would personally be reluctant to shell out good money when people are having this type of software problem with the DM800
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ly-uk-card-not-working-dm800-card-reader.html

If that is what you fancy then go for it!