14yo kid builds a DIY clock, accused of making a bomb...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
An absolutely disgusting example of the world we live in today:

Code:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-ninth-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Certainly an example of how paranoid and frightened some Americans are.....They also forget that less than 300 years ago they too were immigrants...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Best safe than sorry are my thoughts, considering the past in American schools etc, he's been invited to the white house today i believe,

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Best safe than sorry are my thoughts

Thing is, if there was a suspiciously wrapped up lump of stuff, or a container of liquid with wires coming from it, then yes, he could have built a bomb, but, from the pictures, I see an LED display, a PCB with clock timing components, a battery and a power cable, basically a re-purposed bedside alarm clock, all built into a neat case, no signs of anything bomb-like, it's just the stupidity of a "teacher" (referred to as so, as the only teaching they did that day was how to alienate someone who is different) that caused the whole thing, because the kid was brown-skinned, had a non-american name, and happened to not be a christian, they assumed he was a suicide bomber...

Had it been a white kid called Billy-Bob Jones who went to the local church every sunday, I bet you he wouldn't have been accused of bomb-making at all...

Like I say, a disgusting example of the world we live in today, the lives of the many spoiled by the stupidity of the few...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Had it been a white kid called Billy-Bob Jones who went to the local church every sunday, I bet you he wouldn't have been accused of bomb-making at all...
Have to say I agree with you. 100%.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Well I respect your opinion 2cv, but I also have my own, and I think they reacted in an appropriate way, put it this way it I saw something like that and I was boarding a plane I would report it and wouldn't get on until it was checked out, but as a forum we try to steer away from discussions like this so best left,

I must agree it is a sorry state that we have to do this but I feel its necessary in this day and age and it will only get worse, it will help us all to stay vigilant at all times.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
it will help us all to stay vigilant at all times.

Vigilance and xenophobia are two different things, eyeballing someone with a rucksack because they have a different coloured skin is not being vigilant, it's racial profiling, and to do that to a kid who could potentially be the head of NASA someday, it's setting a really bad example for others, being afraid of being treated like a criminal for having intelligence and soldering a bunch of wires together in a project would really put off many kids from becoming electronics engineers in the future...

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
The whole situation is just odd and a massive overreaction. I think the teachers and the police have watched too many Hollywood films if they think that was a bomb. The fact that the kid was arrested, handcuffed and denied access to his parents during questioning for over an hour just shows how badly the whole situation was handled and why it's made headlines around the world. If they really thought it was a bomb why wasn't the place evacuated?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
So I guess it best for peeps to blow things up then do something about it after is the way to go then silly me :-doh

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
So I guess it best for peeps to blow things up then do something about it after is the way to go then silly me :-doh

Considering that most of the bombings and attacks have occurred before people realised they were up to something, then, it already is a "bomb first, ask questions later" situation, someone who builds such devices isn't going to make themselves known, but to accuse a child who is interested in electronics of committing such an act because he's brown, a muslim and named Ahmed Mohammed is not on, in any guise of so-called "vigilance"...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Race is not an issue here it something that looked like a bomb to an untrained eye ;),

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Race is not an issue here it something that looked like a bomb to an untrained eye ;),

But like I said earlier, had it been a white kid with a western name and went to a christian church, I'm willing to bet real money he wouldn't have been accused of making a bomb, just told to switch the thing off and put it away...

If identifying a bomb is the issue, then maybe people who made the accusations (teachers, police, etc.) need to be taught about what a bomb looks (and smells) like outside of fictional movies and TV shows, hell, I could buy a lump of grey plasticine, stick some coloured coiled wires into it and have a digital clock stuck to it, looks like a fictional bomb yes, but, it ain't real...

Infact, that's the most basic way to identify a potential bomb, a mass of something, be it a liquid in a bottle or a lump of clay-like material, the basic of basics are you need something that goes boom, the only "mass" in that kid's collection of wires was a 9V PP3, and unless you buy Duracell, they aren't exactly going to blow up...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Ok 2cv, forget all ive said your 100% correct and I am totally wrong again :(, I cant get nothing right :(.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Logic and common sense, that's all that's required, both of which are a rare commodity sadly...

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
If identifying a bomb is the issue, then maybe people who made the accusations (teachers, police, etc.) need to be taught about what a bomb looks (and smells) like outside of fictional movies and TV shows, hell, I could buy a lump of grey plasticine, stick some coloured coiled wires into it and have a digital clock stuck to it, looks like a fictional bomb yes, but, it ain't real...

Infact, that's the most basic way to identify a potential bomb, a mass of something, be it a liquid in a bottle or a lump of clay-like material, the basic of basics are you need something that goes boom, the only "mass" in that kid's collection of wires was a 9V PP3, and unless you buy Duracell, they aren't exactly going to blow up...

Indeed, that was my point, at the very least the police should at least have been able to see that it isn't a bomb, even if the teachers couldn't and it should never have gone further than that. No humiliating public arrests in front of the school or an illegal questioning session needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.