Advice Needed 16e / 23.5e on 45cm dish?

quincynufc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA setup pointed at 28.2e, 19.2e and 13e (via two dishes, a loftbox and about 7 receivers). Never actually watch telly.
My Location
North East England
Hello all. Long time member, first time poster.

I've got a 45cm square(ish) dish - this one in fact
Code:
https://www.technisat.com/en_XX/DIGIDISH-45/352-10004-1791/"]TechniSat: DigiDish 45, Universal V/H LNB, beige [1045/8194] - 1 Orbital position - with LNB - XX
- which claims to provide the performance of a 60cm 'traditional' dish. Was slightly dubious about this but against my better judgment I purchased it anyway (it's a second dish so I'm trying to keep it as small/inconspicuous as possible).

Stuck it on the wall and to my surprise it picks up all the channels at 13e (which it's currently pointing at) with a minimum SNR of 75%ish in the rain, in NE England. The stronger transponders are averaging a SNR of about 88%, and I reckon my shoddy alignment skills will count for at least 5% of the remainder. So, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I told myself that when I had 13e sorted that'd be that - I've already got 28.2 and 19.2 on the other dish, and this was all I wanted initially. However, inevitably, I have now been bitten by the bug and am keen to have a look at 16e and 23.5e for feeds and so on.

So, I'm thinking of motorising it. I realise I may be pushing my luck here given the dish is comparatively tiny but my logic is that if it can pick up Hotbird then it might be able to get some of the other stronger satellites. I know it gets an absolutely rock solid signal on both 19.2 and 28.2 as I had a quick go out of interest when I was setting it up.

My question is as follows: given the sort of signal quality I'm getting at 13e, do I stand a chance with 16e and 23.5e (or anything else other than 28.2/19.2) on this dish? Obviously I can give it a go without the motor to begin with, but I'm not keen on getting up the ladder and knocking the thing out of alignment if it's going to be a complete non-starter.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
A lot of feeds require a larger dish, than normal channels.
If you really want to check out feeds, and install a motorized dish, then you might consider going a bit larger, you are allowed a dish, of upto 1M, in most cases, without applying for planning permission, and a second dish, for Sky.
I got my parents an 85cm Penta dish, and I am amazed at the performance.
Hopefully william-1 will be able to provide more specific information, as he is a feed expert.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Spot on Mickha
You are going to need a quality 100 cm dish for feeds,
I use a Gibertini 100cm + Stab100 motor with an Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 with this set up as I am in the East of England I can get 95% of the feeds on all satellites from 52.5 east to 45 west.

quincynufc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA setup pointed at 28.2e, 19.2e and 13e (via two dishes, a loftbox and about 7 receivers). Never actually watch telly.
My Location
North East England
Thanks both. I had thought I might be asking a bit much with the size of dish!

I have previously considered pole mounting a bigger dish out of the ground, the idea being it'd be less conspicuous at ground level than on the south-facing wall. I'll need to consider lines of sight etc but that might actually be a goer.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Try dishpointer.com.
Type in your postcode, select Thor, 0.8W, from the satellite options box, then zoom in on the map, moving the green icon, to where you wish to site your dish, then tick the Show Obstacle (Line of Sight Checker), and move the red icon to any obstacle.
This will give you an idea of the height any obstacle needs to be, to interfere with your signal.
Select other satellites, from the drop down box, to check them.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
You may want to consider in view of your location setting up a 120cm dish at ground level this is a very popular dish size in the North East of England for feeds on 23.5 east,16 east,10 east,7 east,0.8 west,12.5 west,24.5 west & 30 west.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Pah, meagre dealings. Get a 2.4m dish and satisfy your bug :D

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
Have you considered a dish such as the Bisat or the Wave Frontier dishes? You should be able to get 28, 19 and 13 all on one 85cm dish(I did).

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Have you considered a dish such as the Bisat or the Wave Frontier dishes? You should be able to get 28, 19 and 13 all on one 85cm dish(I did).
I'd say even a T55 would get these with decent margin.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
or try a zone 2 sky dish with off set lnbs

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
or try a zone 2 sky dish with off set lnbs

Wont work if he wants the feeds John apart from a few strong ones. Feedhunters really need to think of a 1m dish minimum for those.

Hes not too far from me & some of the 16E broadcast channels are pretty ropy on a 1m this far north.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Exactly.

Works ok for mega-strong mainstream Channels (I had 19E, 13E and 5E on an old Sky Analogue dish), but no way will it work for Feeds.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
btw, why does feed require such massive dishes?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
They are "not for public consumption" , but are one of the ways in which Broadcasters can convey source material to end user Platforms. So, in order to reduce the likelihood of folk like us seeing the content for free, they need to employ cheap but reasonably effective countermeasures.

Encryption and advanced Modulation techniques are often used, but simply keeping the EIRP as low as possible works too.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You get some great stuff popping up on feeds if your dish is big enough John - camel racing, Turkish wrestling, New Years Eve festivities, concerts occasional football. Most memorably for me North Korean TV was up for a week a few years ago on 10E :)

Most definitely not for your average viewer and the broadcasters use the minimum power they can get away with. Remember the broadcasters receive dishes are often massive so the casual viewer has to go big too.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
You get some great stuff popping up on feeds if your dish is big enough John - camel racing, Turkish wrestling, New Years Eve festivities, concerts occasional football. Most memorably for me North Korean TV was up for a week a few years ago on 10E :)

Most definitely not for your average viewer and the broadcasters use the minimum power they can get away with. Remember the broadcasters receive dishes are often massive so the casual viewer has to go big too.
does having a big dish also apply for receiving football such as 3pm kickoffs?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
You used to be able to get most of the Saturday 3PM games, untli providers were limited to showing only 1 game, now most providers choose the best game, but often you can view 2, or 3, games.
It depends which provider is showing the game, Sky Germany, 19.2E, stopped showing the EPL, probably due to the pricing structure, and restrictions, but you can still get a lot on Movistar+, the spanish provider, on 19.2E, on a small dish.
Quite a few games, are available, on 4.9E, which require a bigger dish, probably 1M, and some on 1W, 60-80cm dish, all depending on your location.

With the growth of IPTV, you no longer require a dish, and can view most games.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I think JP is referring to Feeds .....

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
You used to be able to get most of the Saturday 3PM games, untli providers were limited to showing only 1 game, now most providers choose the best game, but often you can view 2, or 3, games.
It depends which provider is showing the game, Sky Germany, 19.2E, stopped showing the EPL, probably due to the pricing structure, and restrictions, but you can still get a lot on Movistar+, the spanish provider, on 19.2E, on a small dish.
Quite a few games, are available, on 4.9E, which require a bigger dish, probably 1M, and some on 1W, 60-80cm dish, all depending on your location.

With the growth of IPTV, you no longer require a dish, and can view most games.
yeah but most of the games you can view are shady stuff like streams and besides i dont think iptv will make satellite obsolete as not everybody has fast broadband

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
does having a big dish also apply for receiving football such as 3pm kickoffs?

Most of the 3pm feeds have disappeared these days. Most if not all the Premier grounds have fast fibre links which are used to route the signal.