ea7vpg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m prime focus, 1.3m offset with octo LNB
pentium 4 with XP SP3
My Location
Malaga Spain
Hi.
I have been looking at the reception reports for Lanzarote with some users giving reports for Astra 1N as good using a 2.4 m offset dish as per
=http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/spain.htm#andrews24 the cost of this set up is £2449.

If I used a 2.4 m prime focus dish from maplin and attached the feedhorn/lnb

invacom quad and feedhorn with a combined cost of circa £291 do you think it would work as well ?

The specifications for the dish

=http://www.fortecstar.com/240.html

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

atb ea7vpg

PS Lidl's are selling Silver Crest satellite receivers this week for 29 euros... (£24) here in Malaga

Admin edit - please do not put live (clickable) links to outside sites on the forum.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Maplin FS dishes are flimsy and tend to warp easily. Unless you want to spend all your time tinkering with it to take the warps out you will find it works about as well as a dish half the size.

Before you spends 1000's of € on a new dish please be aware that the whole situation with the UK channels will change again at the end of the year when the first of the new series 2 satellites start coming into service. We have no idea what the exact situation will be in southern Spain but you can bet things wont be as favourable as they are at the moment!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Channel Hopper said:
work as well as what ?
He is asking if a Fortec Star 2.4m dish will work as well as a Channel Master 2.4m if it is fitted with an Invacom LNB.

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
Channel Master Dishes are superior.
It depends upon how well the other dish is made.
Check the specs and compare.
Mind you some dishes are not upto what they claim to be.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, what size dish do you have now in spain?
perhaps your dish is good and just needs aligned or upgraded.
then when they launch the new satellites and we get reception reports in you can see what size you may need.
ralph

A

archive10

Work as well? definitely not.
Apart from being mechanically crap, the reception of a fine tuned 2.4 meter fs is much worse than a 1.8 meter cm.
This is documented elsewhere on this site.
Dont waste your money esp as the situation will change, as AS writes above.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
He is asking if a Fortec Star 2.4m dish will work as well as a Channel Master 2.4m if it is fitted with an Invacom LNB.

The statement could be taken two ways, would it work as well (as a good offset dish), or would it work (as well).

Only somebody in the same area as ea7vpg with the kit mentioned could advise, and from previous posts on the site, the prime focus would require many hours of adaption by somebody with analysing equipment (and patience) in order to get a spectrum peak within the noise, much less a stable signal for reception.

ea7vpg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m prime focus, 1.3m offset with octo LNB
pentium 4 with XP SP3
My Location
Malaga Spain
Thanks everyone for your valued and informative post's. I suppose it is that old adage "buy cheap pay dear" I live in southern Spain and was investigating the options for a colleague who lives in Lanzarote. Fortunately I have managed to source a 3.1m fibre glass dish locally in Lanzarote which should make up for any signal shortfall when 1F comes on line.

atb