2.4 metre dish and multiswitch

jacko

Reaction score
thanks huevos,cant get the ladders until monday evening,will put the quad lnb on then and mark up everything .
if it doesnt work i will put the quattro back.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
There are other ways to set up a quattro that don't need a multiswitch and they are pretty common in Spain...
Tell us more...

But by the sounds of it this is just a conventional setup shared between 4 users and someone has put the wrong LNB on the dish (possibly while trying to correct the current fault).
Already suggested but the OP has said that the LNB looks old and not recently replaced.

"the lnb is a black ultra quattro with the h+,h-,v+,v-,markings on it.think its been there for a while as the bolts holding the lnb are rusted up."

Another possibility is this is a quattro/multiswitch setup and the cables have been muddled up.
But there is no multiswitch to be found to check this.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tell us more...
There are just a bank of sat receivers in a cupboard and channels are distributed over the communal aerial system. Each receiver is connected to whichever LNB port corresponds to the channel it is set to receive. Signal is either split by splitters, or receivers are chained together via loop out.

Other systems just distribute one quadrature and just split that up all over the complex. This might sound a bit weird but it is completely normal here, and if you check 19.2E on kingofsat you will see all Spanish channels are on vertical low. This way you can connect as many receivers as you like to just a single cable and still get the complete range of channels.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sat40's, Modular I.F Amplifiers. Gain 38dB with a launch of 118dBuV. As above, the outputs could branch off to taps/splitters if the required channels are all on the same single bands. Also can be set up as a SMATV system with receivers and distributed over UHF.

jacko

Reaction score
i noticed there are 3 sat 40s and 1 sat 34 do they all have the same funcion

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
There are just a bank of sat receivers in a cupboard and channels are distributed over the communal aerial system. Each receiver is connected to whichever LNB port corresponds to the channel it is set to receive. Signal is either split by splitters, or receivers are chained together via loop out.
This can't be the case here as, although we don't know what the other STBs are, the OP (jacko) has clearly mentioned a Technomate at his mother's. This bank or receivers would surely put out a number of analogue signals that would be tuned into on a normal TV surely? Then no need for a satellite box in each room.

And a cupboard of STBs would take up a lot more space and be more easily findable than the elusive multiswitch.

...if you check 19.2E on kingofsat you will see all Spanish channels are on vertical low. This way you can connect as many receivers as you like to just a single cable and still get the complete range of channels.
Interesting but irrelevant here as all four feeds are needed for satisfactory UK TV reception. I suppose you could get by with just the low band if decent FTV is your only interest but you'd still need the H and V feeds.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
irrelevant here as all four feeds are needed for satisfactory UK TV reception.
I know it's irrelevant but you did ask how. Here some 28E systems are just VL or HL. Anyway, if it is just 4 people sharing a dish without multiswitch the question is why is there a quattro LNB. Either, there should be a multiswitch, or there shouldn't be a quattro. And all of this might be irrelevant anyway. Chances are this is just an alignment problem after a bit of wind.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I took your post to mean that there are other ways of feeding satellite boxes from a Quattro LNB without using a multiswitch. I'm sure I wasn't alone there.

Anyway, if it is just 4 people sharing a dish without multiswitch the question is why is there a quattro LNB. Either, there should be a multiswitch, or there shouldn't be a quattro.
I think that was established fairly early on. It's a puzzle.

jacko

Reaction score
well i substituted the quattro lnb for a quad.before i swapped things over i disconnected the power unit to the if amplifiers. after connecting the quad lnb i plugged the power unit back in but none of the power lights came on on the if amps or the power unit,there was no signal coming from the lnb.so i unplugged the power unit and put the quattro lnb back on . i marked the cables beforehand.checking the signals on the technomate 1500 i now get transponders,11875/27500h,12032/27500h,12070/27500h and 11221/27500h.i think my mother will now have to call in the professionals.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think my mother will now have to call in the professionals.
Yes, I think you've reached the end of tinkering. Proper test equipment is called for now.