2 dishes: Add 2nd receiver, UHF TV and FM

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
I want to add a second receiver and add in terrestrial TV and FM radio.
At present I have two fixed dishes with single output LNBs, using a DiSEqC switch to switch between the LNBs, feeding down to a single receiver. I have a spare cable from the roof to where I want to install the second receiver.

I can think of two ways of doing this, below. I'd welcome any comments on the practicality and pros and cons of each, and whether there's a better way.

Method A: using an additional DiSEqC switch and 4 diplexors
Replace both LNBs with dual output types.
Reconnect the DiSEqC switch to one output on each LNB.
Add another DiSEqC switch between the remaining outputs on the LNBs and connect it to the spare cable down to the second receiver.
Using a single aerial for UHF TV / FM radio reception, connect it to a 2 way splitter. Connect the outputs to the two cables below the DiSEqC using diplexors.
Remove the UHF TV / FM radio signals at the far end using 2 more diplexors.

Method B: using a multiplex switch and 2 diplexors.
Replace both LNBs with dual output types.
Remove the present DiSEqC switch.
Connect the four LNB outputs to four inputs on the multiswitch.
Connect the TV / FM aerial to the fifth (RF) input on the multiswitch.
Connect two of the multiswitch outputs to the two cables down to the receivers.
Remove the UHF TV / FM radio signals at the far end using 2 diplexors.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
rolfw said:
This is what you need http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=167&catid=1&subcat=11 plus two quatro LNBs, this setup would allow you up to 4 outlets with two dish access and the TV/VHF output as well. You would of course require diplexed ot triplexed outlet plates in the rooms.
Thanks for opening my eyes to the need for quatro LNBs when using multiswitches in a digital system, on reflection I was probably reading out of date info from internet sources which was probably referring to analogue systems.

Going back to my original post the multiswitch option, although the most elegant and the most flexible for possible future needs, is now looking very expensive compared with the DiSEqC switch method, which requires only two port LNBs, one extra DiSEqC switch and a couple of diplexors up in the attic. The arrangement at the receiver end I think is the same in both methods. Can you see any pitfall in this approach?

Also, can you tell me, or point me to somewhere, the difference between a 4 port LNB and a quatro LNB?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Quattro LNB 1x vertical low band, 1x vertical high band, 1x horizontal low band, 1x horizontal high band, Quad LNB, 4x universal outputs. I presume that the 4 port you describe is probably the Quad.

Cost of two twin LNBs, not too much different from two quattro LNBs.

Extra DiseqC unit £12
2x Diplexers £30
2 way splitter or amp £5 to £20

So definitely cheaper your way, not as professional, but what the heck, it's for your use. Problem is that I carry out a lot of commercial work, so neatness of solution is important. :)

There is a quad LNB with integral diplexer available from CPC I think, might be worth looking at, although quite expensive.

This may also be worth a look http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...pc+catalogue&category_name=&product_id=264272 , it diplexes a terrestrial signal to 4 lnb inputs

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Thanks for enlightening me about the quatro LNB, and I really appreciate your comments about the other stuff. While we're at it, the installer of my present system installed the DiSEqC switch on the roof near to the LNBs. Is it necessary to be very close? I'd like to relocate it to the loft space about 5 or 6 metres away from the LNBs.
Also, I was following a post on a U.S. web site about down leads from LNB to the receiver, and one person claimed that the lead should be routed via an earthing device, rather like a barrel F-connector with earthing attachment, before connecting to the receiver. Is that standard practice / wise / necessary / mandatory!?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Earth bonding is mandatory in commercial installations and I guess will add an extra degree of safety in domestic installations, but it isn't necessary in Europe, certainly not the UK.

No reason why you shouldn't have the switches in the loft, most people put the switch on the dish to reduce the amount of cables from the dish.

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey

intrepi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Viewsat Ultra, Stab MP 02 DiSEqC 1.0 to 1.2 code convertor for Stab HH 120 motor drive, Winegard 1 meter dish with an Invacom quad LNB
My Location
British Columbia Canada
Most manufacturers will recommend installing the DiSEqC switches to within 3 meters of the LNB which would allow you to install them inside the attic or room if you have a wall or roof mounted dish. The other option is to buy an exterior weather box and install the switches inside. Consider using silicone grease inside each of your connectors to the switch as it would keep moisture and any corrosion from causing havoc with your system.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You have resurrected a three year old thread.:confused