2 freeview boxes from one aerial

ronbol

Reaction score
Is it possible to feed to freeboxes from one aerial.

I have freeview in the main lounge via a rooftop aerial that was fitted by tv installers.
I now want to watch freeview in the extension. The Tv cable was fitted in the extension when it was built and goes staright to the loft.
So all cabling is there.

Do i need another massive aerial?
Can I somehow split the current aerial to feed both boxes.

Thanx in advance

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you can split it in the loft, but it will depend on how good your existing signal is as to whether you require an amplifier prior to the split, or a two way amplifier.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
It's definately possible, I have done it with my 2 boxes using a proper splitter (not one of those cheapo white splitters) like this one on eBay:

(just go to ebay and pop that number in the search box)

Of course, 3 F connectors will be needed aswell, but they're easily available all over the place... :D

ronbol

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Yes you can split it in the loft, but it will depend on how good your existing signal is as to whether you require an amplifier prior to the split, or a two way amplifier.

Signal strength is always around 90% which I think for the area is pretty good. If I do need to amplify before the split any recommendations as to kit required.

Thanks again

ronbol

Reaction score
2cvbloke said:
It's definately possible, I have done it with my 2 boxes using a proper splitter (not one of those cheapo white splitters) like this one on eBay:

(just go to ebay and pop that number in the search box)

Of course, 3 F connectors will be needed aswell, but they're easily available all over the place... :D

Is this not for splitting satellite signal, all of my cabling is standard tv coax with standard TV plugs for use with terrestrial freeview. If you get where I am coming from.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
ronbol said:
Is this not for splitting satellite signal, all of my cabling is standard tv coax with standard TV plugs for use with terrestrial freeview. If you get where I am coming from.

No, they can be used for splitting any coax-type cables, be it bog-standard UHF TV/FM cable, Cable TV & broadband cables, or (more riskily cos of the switching voltages involved, highly inadvisable) a satellite feed, the seller is probably a bit thick when it comes to what their products actually can do... :)

My splitter was salvaged from a 10 year old Nynex cable install (before NTL or Cable&wireless got their hands on it) and it does the job perfectly, I have another two (one from my cable installation and the other I got off eBay) spare waiting for me to split something else, most likely a UHF feed from a satellite box... :)

Also, just so you know, I fitted F connectors onto the existing TV Coax by my bedroom window and they went on like they were going onto Satellite coax, and from the extra socket I created I used CT100 cable to my freeview box and popped a standard Belling-Lee (the actual name for the plugs used on TV setups) connector on the end... :)
(and waterproofed the connections with Self-Amalgumating tape)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you need to amplify, although it appears that you may not, you can use one of these with the appropriate power supply on the same page. :) _http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11c.htm

ronbol

Reaction score
Thanks all of you that have posted and has given me a few ways to try and achieve it. once again thanks.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Have fun!!! Oh, remember to unplug the aerial cables from your equipment before starting any work, I got a few zaps from my TV equipment downstairs when I was splitting my cable...:eek:

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized. Diablo 2.3 lite cam with cas3 interface.
My Location
Lancashire
Here is a late but better solution to your problem.

Providing you have a scart input on the TV where the freeview box is you will be able to power 2 box's with 1 input.

Step 1 - Connect your new aerial input to freeview box 1.
Step 2 - Connect freeview box 1 to the TV with the scart lead
Step 3 - Run a coax line from the main TV to the desired location of freeview box 2.
Step 4 - Plug the new coax line going to freeview box 2 into the TV out port on freeview box 1
Step 5 - Connect freeview box 2 to the other end of the coax line coming from freeview box 1 in the aerial in port.
Step 6 - Connect freeview box 2 to the TV with the scart lead.
Step 7 - Optional. Connect the TV out port on freeview box 2 to the TV to watch TV without freeview box 2 switched on.

This will give you an uncomprimised signal on 2 freeview boxes.

Hope this info still helps.

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
I have a Wolsey 4 output amp in the loft, aerial cable comes under the roof tiles straight into the amp (about a metre of cable from aerial to amp). 4 outputs to 2 bedrooms, lounge and kitchen. I'm in a bungalow and in a low reception area so need the amplification to get all the muxes. My loft area has lighting and mains sockets so no problem in running a mains powered amp.
Parky

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
I dont think that is the solution he is looking for Park Royal.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm sure that since the original poster made his post some seven months ago, he has long since solved the problem. I'm equally sure though that he would have prefereed a solution which involved using the already installed point and cable run to his extension, rather than start running new cables.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
The only thing he would have to do is re route the cable run.

Whats the matter? Gutted you didn't think of my solution?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
aerialview said:

The cable was already run so it was easier to use a splitter at the aerial than take the cable out again and have it trailing through their house... ;)

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
unless it is an amplified splitter you will compromise the signal strength.

My way - no extra parts to buy just requires a little graft and no compromise on signal.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
aerialview said:

LOL, what is it, attitude weekend? :-lmao

Where there is a cable properly run in the structure of the extension and terminating in the loft where the aerial feed is, I cannot think of any reason whatsoever for considering running a new cable internally or externally to service the second TV, plus it may be a really messy run.

You also have no way of knowing whether the original poster still requires an analogue feed to facilitate a second option whilst recording from the Freeview box.

As mentioned earlier, there is a strong possibility that there may be enough signal for a split and even if there isn't, a two way masthead amp situated in the loft and powered from behind the TV, or a small 2 way setback amp in the loft are much neater solutions.