2 receivers to drive 1 motorised dish?

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
It's been a while since my last installation and I want to change things a bit :-ohcrap:-

I want to connect 2 receivers (one will be upstairs) to my motorised dish and both receivers also to a fixed dish.

I don't need to use/view the motorised dish from both receivers at the same time - so a single lnb would do I think. However, I would like to be able to move the dish from whichever receiver is using it at the time. I also want to be able to view the static dish from both receivers at the same time using a twin lnb, and I also want the option to view static dish on one receiver and motorised on the other.:confused

First, the easy bit.

2 feeds (twin lnb) from fixed dish, 1 feed to each receiver (connected at each receiver via 2/1 diseqc switch {LNB A in receiver settings}).

Second, the harder bit.

1 feed from diseqc motor, split at pole end using smart priority switch, 1 feed to each receiver (connected at each receiver via 2/1 diseqc switch {LNB B in receiver settings}).

_http://www.pulsat.com/products/Digiality-Smart-Priority-Switch.html
(would be housed in IP66 enclosure).

Theory:-

If the master receiver (defined by smart priority switch) selects the motor {LNB B}, the switch would prevent the slave receiver from connecting to motor/moving the dish.

If the master receiver selects the static dish {LNB A}, the switch would allow the slave receiver to connect to the motor/move the dish.
Would this work - or am I due for another tablet? :-idea

Yorks.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I don't think it will work succesfully as when box one has moved the dish if the box two then takes over, either through a simple A/B switch or a smart priority switch, then box one won't "know" where the dish is now pointing to.

BTW, welcome back. Has security been a bit lax allowing you out?

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
PaulR said:
I don't think it will work succesfully as when box one has moved the dish if the box two then takes over, either through a simple A/B switch or a smart priority switch, then box one won't "know" where the dish is now pointing to.

Thanks for the reply Paul.
Would it "know" if using USALS maybe?

PaulR said:
BTW, welcome back. Has security been a bit lax allowing you out?

Thanks, yes the NHS shake-up means that they've removed the guard from the door. Just need to be back before lights out.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Welcome back Yorks. Good to hear you are free - just don't stop taking those pills :)

I got two receivers on the same motor and a twin LNB. As they are next to each other I simply looped the feed from the lnb from one box to the other, so no swithes required.

It is working ok, only I find that it is better to put one box on standby when moving the motor - otherwise it may not work. Also, if you reboot one reciever it will move the dish to where it's last station was - so if you are watching on the other receiver and someone reboots you will lose the picture.

It is really straight forward and works for me.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
T_G said:
It is working ok,
Intersting. As Yorks asks, is that USALS or straightforward (!) DiSeqc?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Diseqc on both. One is a dreambox and one is the Qboh, and the motor is the trusted old SG 1200...

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
T_G said:
Welcome back Yorks. Good to hear you are free - just don't stop taking those pills :)

I got two receivers on the same motor and a twin LNB. As they are next to each other I simply looped the feed from the lnb from one box to the other, so no swithes required.

It is working ok, only I find that it is better to put one box on standby when moving the motor - otherwise it may not work. Also, if you reboot one reciever it will move the dish to where it's last station was - so if you are watching on the other receiver and someone reboots you will lose the picture.

It is really straight forward and works for me.

Hi T_G,

Interesting. I take it you have one of the twin lnbs bypassing the motor?

As the receivers are going to be quite a distance apart, loop-through is not really practical.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No it's a single LNB, and it goes first through the one box and then through the other.

Both can move the dish, but as I said I only use one at a time. For instance the kids use the Dreambox in the afternoon as they are used to it, and they move the dish, and I would use the Qboxhd in the eveinig while the Dreambox is on standby.

It works surprisingly well...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
T_G said:
No it's a single LNB, and it goes first through the one box and then through the other.

Both can move the dish, but as I said I only use one at a time. For instance the kids use the Dreambox in the afternoon as they are used to it, and they move the dish, and I would use the Qboxhd in the eveinig while the Dreambox is on standby.

I will be doing something similar with two TM5402's next week.
Even though I have installed a quad LNB for the customer, he wants two places in the house for full HD (and where the motor can be moved), and I am not going to fit a powermid/clone remote device, so loopthrough it is.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
T_G said:

In your OP you mentioned a twin lnb. Where does the 2nd lnb connect, or are you only using one feed from it. (Is it time I was making my way back before they notice I'm awol?!)

I think I will connect both receivers to a motor via an old a/b switch in the comfort of the lounge, just to see if they can both drive it. If that works I'm hoping that it will work with a smart priority switch.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry you are right, I did write twin LNB but actually it's a single... I had a twin there for a few years, but only used one feed. When that LNB went kaputt I got a simple one instead.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
I will be doing something similar with two TM5402's next week.
Even though I have installed a quad LNB for the customer, he wants two places in the house for full HD (and where the motor can be moved), and I am not going to fit a powermid/clone remote device, so loopthrough it is.

One funny thing I got with that setup is that if the "first" box is completely off the mains the loop does not work (at least the Qbox does not allow looping withoput power). But I guess you could overcome this by a simple splitter so you get the two feeds to each receiver without loop through. Coming to think of it, I did make such a device myself some yeas ago, might give it a try!

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
I have connected both receivers to the motor via a manual A/B switch and both drive the motor when switched. I have tested using DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS. Both protocols worked fine! :-

Lounge test

Connected both receivers to motor using manual A/B switch.

Connected both receivers to separate HDMI inputs on tv.

Turned on both receivers.

Moved motor to 28.2E using receiver 1 connected via switch 'A'

Switched to receiver 2 via switch 'B'. Moved motor to 13E using receiver 2.

Switched to receiver 1 via switch 'A'. Motor immediately moved back to 28.E (initial position).

I tried both USALS and DiSEqC 1.2 and both worked. I selected several satellite positions and the motor moved to position every time.

So here's the $64,000 question.

Would this work using a 2/1 DiSEqC switch and smart priority switch in place of the A/B switch???

T_G said:
One funny thing I got with that setup is that if the "first" box is completely off the mains the loop does not work (at least the Qbox does not allow looping withoput power). But I guess you could overcome this by a simple splitter so you get the two feeds to each receiver without loop through. Coming to think of it, I did make such a device myself some yeas ago, might give it a try!

Yes, I think that's the case with a lot of receivers. They need to at least be in standby to route the signal. Some receivers don't even relay it if in 'power saving' standby mode.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I should have realised that this would work with a bit of logical thinking.

A diseqc positioner responds to a request from the receiver (either of them!) to go to a certain position. The positions are stored in the positioner itself so the receiver doesn't need to "know" where the dish is pointing to at all beforehand.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Yorks said:
Would this work using a 2/1 DiSEqC switch and smart priority switch in place of the A/B switch???
Should work fine, but... it all depends on command order, and that is down to the receivers. In order for this to work the DiSEqC 1.0 command needs to be sent before the motor command to ensure the switch is in the right position to allow the command to get through to the motor. Personally I'd put the motor on port 1.
PaulR said:
the receiver doesn't need to "know" where the dish is pointing
That's right. DiSEqC 1.2 just sends a position number, and USALS sends an angular position (which the receiver works out on-the-fly). Where the dish is pointing to start with is irrelevant.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Huevos said:
Should work fine, but... it all depends on command order, and that is down to the receivers. In order for this to work the DiSEqC 1.0 command needs to be sent before the motor command to ensure the switch is in the right position to allow the command to get through to the motor. Personally I'd put the motor on port 1.That's right. DiSEqC 1.2 just sends a position number, and USALS sends an angular position (which the receiver works out on-the-fly). Where the dish is pointing to start with is irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply Huevos.

Yes I think the DiSEqC command order from the receiver should be ok. In my current set up, I have a single receiver connected to 2 motorised dishes via a 2/1 DiSEqC switch. One dish covering 53E to 8W, the other dish covering 12W to 45W. The receiver switches between and moves the motors seamlessly.

My main question; would the smart priority switch work? The description says that the switch gives priority to the 'master' connection and relies on that receiver being turned off to switch to the slave connection. I take it that the DiSEqC switch would in effect do this when selecting the static dish, allowing the slave receiver to access the motor?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Yorks said:
My main question; would the smart priority switch work? The description says that the switch gives priority to the 'master' connection and relies on that receiver being turned off to switch to the slave connection. I take it that the DiSEqC switch would in effect do this when selecting the static dish, allowing the slave receiver to access the motor?
SPS will work as long as the master stops sending LNB power when it is in standby.

I say that because some receivers (Digibox for example) still power the LNB when in standby. And, yes, the DiSEqC switch should only power the active port... but there are so many crap switches out there the only way to know for sure is try. The thing is the DC and the RF take different paths through the switch so just because you know the rf is channelled correctly through the switch doesn't mean the DC is not visible on both ports (although it shouldn't be, it might).

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Yes, as you say the only way to find out is to try it.
I've ordered the SPS, so we'll see. I might wait until it get's a bit warmer though, before I give it a go. :-rock

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Well I finally got a roundtuit on the bank holiday Monday while the rest of you were at the Royal BBQ.
I housed the switch in an IP66 box (bit of a tight fit) and connected all up and I am pleased to say that it works seamlessly.

Regards,
Yorks.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Pleased to hear it.

Apart from some niggling issues of ensuring one of the receivers in standby (shouting upstairs to the other family member to turn theirs off) before selecting another satellite, my customer appears to have had no real problems, at least they haven't contacted me since.