20/20 vision for 3D ?

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
I have a lazy eye and so i do not have perfect vision. I once tried it in a local comet store but the image was still blured.:-O-st

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
What i want to know is doe's this affect any use of 3D television ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
garrick said:
I have a lazy eye and so i do not have perfect vision. I once tried it in a local comet store but the image was still blured.:-O-st

Your posts make little sense
What did you try in a local Comet store?
If you tried watching 3D tv and it was blurred to you then you have answered your own question otherwise please elaborate

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Even before i place the specs on i can see two image's off centre from each other. When i put the specs on i still had the same effect but HD doe's not appear to effect me.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
_http://english.cri.cn/7146/2010/02/03/2361s547661.htm

"The fact that the eyes are separated by 15 degrees or so, that is what gives rise to the three dimensional vision because each eye is seeing an object from a slightly different position. Sometimes children are born with either an inability to use the eyes together, or for some reason cannot and therefore one eye will point forwards and the other will point inwards, and if that happens, in order to stop seeing double vision, the brain will switch one eye off."

Not really too different to those with hearing impairments and getting the best out of an expensive audio system. If you've never heard quality sound though, you cannot really miss it.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Doe's this make 3D television a gimmick for occupying too much bandwith and preventing PSB and low cost broadcasters to set up HD stations. If broadcasters like $ky want to do 3D then they should be made to put all of their sub channels on 28e pan-europe beam and leave the narrow and spot beams to PSB and low cost broadcasters.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
garrick said:
Doe's this make 3D television a gimmick for occupying too much bandwith and preventing PSB and low cost broadcasters to set up HD stations.

Not at all . The idea of 3D technology is logical as the next progression to actually being 'there'. Still images, moving images, progression to colour, and high definition are just some of the stepping stones already crossed.

Whether the current 3D offering with glasses is no more than a cul-de-sac is a better question, but as I pointed out in the last post, those with sight impairment are likely to lose out on 3D completely.

You haven't confirmed whether you see 3D in real life, or got the effect with the stereoscopic projections of the last century.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Not at all . The idea of 3D technology is logical as the next progression to actually being 'there'. Still images, moving images, progression to colour, and high definition are just some of the stepping stones already crossed.

Whether the current 3D offering with glasses is no more than a cul-de-sac is a better question, but as I pointed out in the last post, those with sight impairment are likely to lose out on 3D completely.

You haven't confirmed whether you see 3D in real life, or got the effect with the stereoscopic projections of the last century.

I have normal vision in my good eye although i am starting to show my age by sometimes wearing my normal glass's for viewing

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
garrick said:
I have normal vision in my good eye although i am starting to show my age by sometimes wearing my normal glass's for viewing

3D resolution requires (a minimum) of acceptable binocular vision.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There was an articele somewhere recently saying summat along the lines of 10-15% of the population will not be able to view 3D due to vision defects.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I shall not be able to view it due to wallet defects.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
garrick said:
Doe's this make 3D television a gimmick for occupying too much bandwidth and preventing PSB and low cost broadcasters to set up HD stations. If broadcasters like $ky want to do 3D then they should be made to put all of their sub channels on 28e pan-europe beam and leave the narrow and spot beams to PSB and low cost broadcasters.

By the time 3D takes off (if it ever does take off - I have my doubts that its just an evolutionary dead end gimmick) channel compression techniques will have improved no end & there will be shed loads of narrow band capacity available to anyone who wants to use it.

In the meantime there will be a few channels but its not going to be mainstream for years. These pioneer channels will use whatever capacity they have contracted , which means the narrow beams are fairly safe - BBC ITV & C4 have all but 2 or 3 of them tied up! :D

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
:confused
Channel Hopper said:

I have normal vision in my good eye so everything appears okay.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Analoguesat said:
By the time 3D takes off (if it ever does take off - I have my doubts that its just an evolutionary dead end gimmick) channel compression techniques will have improved no end & there will be shed loads of narrow band capacity available to anyone who wants to use it.

In the meantime there will be a few channels but its not going to be mainstream for years. These pioneer channels will use whatever capacity they have contracted , which means the narrow beams are fairly safe - BBC ITV & C4 have all but 2 or 3 of them tied up! :D

Let's hope they put them on the odd pan-europe beam and leave the tight and spot beams to the PSB's and independent's!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
garrick said:
Let's hope they put them on the odd pan-europe beam and leave the tight and spot beams to the PSB's and independent's!

They will use whatever capacity they have contracted for. No point discussing it though - reasonable numbers of 3D channels are years away yet.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Could anyone watch a 3D transmission on an HD television and get some enjoyment ??

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
garrick said:
Could anyone watch a 3D transmission on an HD television and get some enjoyment ??

Not everyone, but the television is showing a broadcast that utilises (about the) most out of the screen, which will look somewhat better to a majority of people.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
So a person could mount a motor on the disk and go hunting for FTA bonus 3D channels

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
garrick said:
So a person could mount a motor on the disk and go hunting for FTA bonus 3D channels

Not at the moment because there are not any

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
There was the Astra 3D Demo channel, I don't know if it's still transmitting

__http://www.ses-astra.com/business/en/news-events/news-latest/index.php?pressRelease=/pressReleases/pressReleaseList/10-04-21/index.php

I tuned into it a while back I believe, but like Tivu I have a wallet deficiency to pay for a new 3D TV, so just saw two pictures one on each half of the screen.

The bandwidth used by the 3D channels I'm led to believe is the same as HD channels, as what is actually transmitted is two pictures side by side.