28.2E FTA digital and 5W FTA analogue

cpc

Reaction score
I am planning a two dish system for installation in the South of France, one to receive 28.2E FTA digital channels (80cm dish), one to receive 5W FTA analogue channels (60cm dish). I have a multisystem Thomson TV set (PAL/NTSC/SECAM), and was planning to buy a Technomate 5500AD receiver and use a Global DISEQC switch to switch between LNB's. Does this sound ok so far? The reason I ask is that I am concerned about the receiver coping with the SECAM analogue channels - I emailed Technomate, and they said I will need a transcoder (expensive) for analogue channels whereas several threads on this forum suggest I will be ok so long as the TV can cope with the SECAM standard. Is this an issue about whether I connect to the TV using RF or SCART?
If there is a problem with the receiver, can someone suggest an alternative?
By the way, Technomate also said I need an "SPS one" switch, is that the same as a Global 2 to one external LNB switch? If not, is one better than the other?
I would appreciate any help - this started off sounding simple and has got a lot more complicated than I expected!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
With reagards to the analogue channels in Secam at 5W you should have no problems providing you are using a scart (peritel) lead.

Using an MSS1000 on 5W one of my TVs shows B&W whilst the other one (which understands Secam) shows in colour. It has nothing to do with the analogue receiver.

BTW, why are you setting up to receive via satellite? Do you live in a poor reception area for terrestrial signals?

PaulR

cpc

Reaction score
PaulR said:
With reagards to the analogue channels in Secam at 5W you should have no problems providing you are using a scart (peritel) lead.

Using an MSS1000 on 5W one of my TVs shows B&W whilst the other one (which understands Secam) shows in colour. It has nothing to do with the analogue receiver.

BTW, why are you setting up to receive via satellite? Do you live in a poor reception area for terrestrial signals?

PaulR
Thanks for the reassurance - maybe the guy at Technomate said "analogue" to mean RF and "digital" to mean SCART, I thought perhaps the receiver needed to "understand" the different transmission standards.
Reception of terrestrial French TV is appalling where I am in France (back of beyond, between Carcassonne and Narbonne)- apart from Canal+ which is fantastic, but usually encrypted (and rubbish if it isn't)
Thanks again

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is always confusion surrounding this subject and it can be made to sound far more difficult that it really is. But as has been said above, as long as you are using the scart output and your TV is capable of Secam reception, you should be fine.

Any 2 way DiseqC switch should suffice.

cpc

Reaction score
rolfw said:
There is always confusion surrounding this subject and it can be made to sound far more difficult that it really is. But as has been said above, as long as you are using the scart output and your TV is capable of Secam reception, you should be fine.

Any 2 way DiseqC switch should suffice.
Thanks very much for confirming my proposed setup sounds ok - after your 5546 posts (!) it must be irritating dealing with what must for you be elementary questions, but speaking personally, I really appreciate people who know taking the time and trouble to help those who don't.
Thanks again. Mind you I will probably be in touch again when I can't find the satellites ...... !

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Very seldom irritating answering question cpc and yours isn't elementary, otherwise the Technomate guy would have been able to give you the correct answer in the first place. :)

Most of us start on the forums by asking questions , I certainly did, liked it here and started sharing what I had picked up.