2D Rome

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi everyone

i have just moved back to rome after been in Varese for 2 years, I was using a 1M dish with a 0.3 humax and a pace receiver reception was great that is obviously not the case now, I am living 30km north east of Rome, the question is what is the smallest dish i could possibly use or is there any chance whatsoever of using the 1M dish, I spoke to the local installer and he says that he can probaly amplify the signal any ideas how that is done. Thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If he means that he will put an in-line amplifier into the coax lead then, unless you have an extremely long lead, this will have absolutely no effect.

From reading other postings I think you're going to have to go bigger on your dish!

PaulR

lummer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Castelli Romani, Rome
dbolton said:
Hi everyone

i have just moved back to rome after been in Varese for 2 years, I was using a 1M dish with a 0.3 humax and a pace receiver reception was great that is obviously not the case now, I am living 30km north east of Rome, the question is what is the smallest dish i could possibly use or is there any chance whatsoever of using the 1M dish, I spoke to the local installer and he says that he can probaly amplify the signal any ideas how that is done. Thanks

You should check out www.astra2d.co.uk.

I live in the Castelli Romani and I can't get 2d with a 1m dish and for CH4 I had to skew my LNB to prevent picture break-up which made that channel unwatchable.

I dream about trying a 3.7m dish when I win the lotto and move to a house with a garden and space for it.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Thanks for the replies what price are you looking at for a 2.5m dish? I am living in Palombara sabina any other advice would be welcome.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would appear that a dish between 2 and 2.4m would be required, there is a report from the South of Rome on the 2D site where nhe gets all of 2D 24hrs.

nooranismith

Reaction score
Fraid I can't help, but I'm sure as heck interseted if you are successful and what you had to do. 30km NE of Rome puts you not too far from where I am (outside Oriolo Romano, just N of Bracciano) so if anything works for you, it should work for me - and I do have the garden and the space, just not the money for the dream dish nor a knowledgable installer that I know of. Recommendations?
Ron

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
nooranismith said:
Fraid I can't help, but I'm sure as heck interseted if you are successful and what you had to do. 30km NE of Rome puts you not too far from where I am (outside Oriolo Romano, just N of Bracciano) so if anything works for you, it should work for me - and I do have the garden and the space, just not the money for the dream dish nor a knowledgable installer that I know of. Recommendations?
Ron

Dont want to disappoint you guy,s,but apart from one report,see the thread
"Astra 2D in Sicily" on this forum,the chances of getting 2D in the Rome area
are practically nil.
If you subscribe to Sky Italia,you will get lots of Sport/News/Docs/Films in
English,and its cheaper than forking out for a large dish which will not give you
24/7 reception of BBC/ITV.

lummer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Castelli Romani, Rome
dave branson said:
Dont want to disappoint you guy,s,but apart from one report,see the thread
"Astra 2D in Sicily" on this forum,the chances of getting 2D in the Rome area
are practically nil.
If you subscribe to Sky Italia,you will get lots of Sport/News/Docs/Films in
English,and its cheaper than forking out for a large dish which will not give you
24/7 reception of BBC/ITV.

I already have Sky Italia and Sky UK, and find myself mostly watching Ch 4 and Ch5 (no 2d) most of the time.
I'd was never much of a satellite viewer back in the UK, so I'd give up both systems I have here, just to get bbc, itv, 4 & 5.
As can be read in "Astra 2D in Sicily", receiving 2D can turn into a bit of a mission, and although there is no chance of me hunting for it now, as I don't have a garden.But while there is at least one other positive report I'm interested in looking for it eventually.
TBH, the cost isn't the thing that is stopping me, it is, like I said the fact I ain't got a garden. Maybe, just a little at the back of my mind I wouldn't want to be stuck with a 3.8m dish or whatever if I couldn't get 2D, but it's a while away yet before I start thinking these things seriously.

Edit to add.. it's not unusual for me to watch Sky UK through my pace 2600 for it to be reporting 0% signal strength, 0% signal quality and not locked, but all the channels I receive being perfect. is this normal?
in fact just now, signal strength is 50% and quality is 0% but everything is fine.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Lummer
I know how you feel,it all started with me when BBC moved to 2D.
I was quite happy with a 1m dish focused at 2A,and a 60cm dish on Dutch
TV for the wife,then the kids wanted BBC and the films,then they took the English football off RTL5,and it all snowballed over the last 3 years to 2m dishes,motorised dishes for Sky uk/Italia ect.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Astra 2 D Near or close to rome is very difficult, not impossible, however expensive and time consuming.

The only sucessfull installation I know of is a 3.8 mtr solid Patriot just south of Rome it is professional installation with a seavey feed horn. it is receiving 24/7 though.

I would have reccomended a 4.5 mtr however the setup is 100% and the seavey feed horn also helps to acheive perhaps upto 1-2 db of additional gain that would normally be lost.

regards

Old Satellite

lummer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Castelli Romani, Rome
How much do you think it would cost all in for 4.5 sat, other gubbins and install?

And of course, would you be able to recommend someone for the job when/if I finally get round to it?

I would ask the guy that did the stuff I have just now, but I am not confident he knows what he is doing well enough. And that eurosat firm are out of the question, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to charge me a million euros!! O-Ha

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Normally a 4.5 with installation is likely to cost between 6-20k Euro depending on the chosen dish and installer etc. and equally how much of ther work you could complete yourself.

regards

old satellite

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Right does anyone know if there is a big dish for sale (secondhand) if so email me.Last saturday i setup the box compass dish tv and sat find on the terrace i can get ch5 but not ch4. I dont know whats going on there I know that ch5 is on the 2B north beam I have tried adding in the transponders still no ch4 any ideas?

lummer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Castelli Romani, Rome
What size of dish do you have just now?

I'm not really in a position to help you technically, but I can tell you that I get ch4 ok with pace 2600, fuba dish(was told it is 90cm, but I can only find 85cm listed on site), samsung LNB (no idea the db).

Like I said earlier, sometimes the box will read 0, 0 for signal strength and quality and 'not locked', but all the channels will still be watchable.
In the beginning, although I received Ch4 it was unwatchable due to picture breakup, but after I skewed the LNB -17' it's fine now.

Last thing.. I do lose the signal totally during bad weather, but as this happens to Sky Italia too, I don't worry about it too much.

Hope this was of some help to you, but I am sure one of the technical guys will help you out more soon. O-Ha

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
1M dish with 0.3 lnb i know about the no lock but thanks anyway,i might just try adding the other transponders in manually