4.8E - Viasat - Help

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised with quad LNB, static 28.2E with quad LNB, VU+ Duo, DM500S, DM500S, DM800HD, Openbox S9.
My Location
Manchester
Hey,

I already have an 80cm dish + motor, the issue is when it rains I lose my signal on Viasat Hockey/Sport [Sweden that is, the Norway channel is fine in light rain]. The BER hits over 15k.

I've tried nudging the motor each way, it makes no difference.

Heavy rain and the Xtra PL channels go down.

In clear weather, or just cloud cover, the Xtra PL channels have a BER of <2k, whilst the Hockey & Sport channels are <10k.

Any thoughts or guidance on what I can do? Wanted to know if a 1m dish would do the trick?

Thanks

A nonymous

Reaction score
A bigger dish would certainly help, also what lnb are you using. In certain cases it can make the difference between the signal being there and not being there.

I'm actually thinking alignment is the issue here as i get those channels easily on a Penta 85 and i'm further south than you.

Nano

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
The Xtra PL channels are a lot stronger than the other Viasat channels. Sport Sverige is the weakest.

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised with quad LNB, static 28.2E with quad LNB, VU+ Duo, DM500S, DM500S, DM800HD, Openbox S9.
My Location
Manchester
nanochickin said:
A bigger dish would certainly help, also what lnb are you using. In certain cases it can make the difference between the signal being there and not being there.

I'm actually thinking alignment is the issue here as i get those channels easily on a Penta 85 and i'm further south than you.

Nano

I'm not sure what LNB it is, I'll need to get the ladders out to check.

The signal is pretty much there, except in heavy rain, it's the picture breakup that is the real issue. I know a better LNB could help.

How would you suggest me going about aligning it?

fergyc said:
The Xtra PL channels are a lot stronger than the other Viasat channels. Sport Sverige is the weakest.

I thought that too, it's on the same transponder as Hockey.

Further notes:

When I nudge the dish using my DM500, and then change channel from say Hockey to Motor, it says 'Please wait whilst the motor moves to 4.8E'. If I change back to Hockey, it does not say this. Does this mean the slight adjustment wasn't saved?

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Still got pictures of your setup on my PC. That LNB isn't a black ultra, why not give that a go?

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
fergyc said:
Still got pictures of your setup on my PC. That LNB isn't a black ultra, why not give that a go?

I shall be realigning before buying a new LNB.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
nanochickin said:

Nano

I think there must be a Nordic beam side lobe over you nano - Ive got a Penta 85 on 5E and the Nordic channels are terrible here. I can just get them on a crystal clear cold night. Ive always had problems with them with assorted dishes aimed at 5E. The weakest freq here is probably the NRK stuff on 12015

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Viasat reception is patchy. I can just lock the extra PL's on a TD78 here. But about 10 miles away in Chorley it's just about doable on a Penta 58. TBH I would recommend a TD88 and Inverto Black Ultra for trouble free viewing.

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Rick said:
Viasat reception is patchy. I can just lock the extra PL's on a TD78 here. But about 10 miles away in Chorley it's just about doable on a Penta 58. TBH I would recommend a TD88 and Inverto Black Ultra for trouble free viewing.

Thanks for the response. What are your thoughts on the Penta 85 instead of the TD88?

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Personally I prefer the TD88. They are a little cheaper and there is very little between the two performance wise. The Penta's are a good dish though, I certianly wouldn't knock one.

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Rick said:
Personally I prefer the TD88. They are a little cheaper and there is very little between the two performance wise. The Penta's are a good dish though, I certianly wouldn't knock one.

That's interesting actually. I'm pushing towards Penta because of the reviews but what works in the TD88's favour, except the price?

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Except the price. I'm used to working with the triax az/el mount and can line them up faster than anything else :D In all seriousness though, I would say most people that choose the penta over the TD88 do so as they prefer the look of the dish.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
OK here on Penta 85 but TV2 PL HD channels disappear in the evenings (not that I can decode them, anyway...)

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Rick said:
Except the price. I'm used to working with the triax az/el mount and can line them up faster than anything else :D In all seriousness though, I would say most people that choose the penta over the TD88 do so as they prefer the look of the dish.

Fair point, it's look caught me too! :D

Captain Jack said:
OK here on Penta 85 but TV2 PL HD channels disappear in the evenings (not that I can decode them, anyway...)

Could you test something like Viasat Hockey for me when it rains? Also you're down south a fair bit, so I'd appreciate any readings.

I've read elsewhere it's to do with the inclined orbit, solar wind etc.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Will check. Attached is the current signal level on my Uno (reading levels are virtually the same as on Dreambox, so should be easy to compare). This TP is one of the stronger ones at 52% SNR! TV1000 Family, for example is around 48% but goes down to 41-ish% in the evenings.

Also, the daily variations in signal are nothing to do with inclination (that's when the satellite is nearly out of fuel, which this one isn't), but more with the satellite "wobble". Inside the footprint, this isn't noticeable but on the edge it's far more prominent. I remember this being a particularly bad trait of the older Sirius2/3 satellites.

Attachments

• viasat hockey.jpg
    viasat hockey.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 47

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Captain Jack said:
Will check. Attached is the current signal level on my Uno (reading levels are virtually the same as on Dreambox, so should be easy to compare). This TP is one of the stronger ones at 52% SNR! TV1000 Family, for example is around 48% but goes down to 41-ish% in the evenings.

Also, the daily variations in signal are nothing to do with inclination (that's when the satellite is nearly out of fuel, which this one isn't), but more with the satellite "wobble". Inside the footprint, this isn't noticeable but on the edge it's far more prominent. I remember this being a particularly bad trait of the older Sirius2/3 satellites.

Thanks, do you know why at 65% then in rain I can't get a decent picture?

What LNB are you currently using. :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I.LuV.ManUTd! said:
Thanks, do you know why at 65% then in rain I can't get a decent picture?

On what receiver? I remember on my DM7020 I had to have around 70% SNR to get a picture. These percentages are simply "indications" and are only good for comparing signals levels on the same make/model receivers but I know from experience that I need around 30% SNR to get colours on both, my old DM800 and the Uno.

I.LuV.ManUTd! said:
What LNB are you currently using. :)

Black Ultra. On my Technomate 0.1dB LNB the signal was a few percentage points down.

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
Here in liverpool i use 1m for Viasat SD channels if wanting HD then you really need a min 1.2

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
UK Sat Online said:
Here in liverpool i use 1m for Viasat SD channels if wanting HD then you really need a min 1.2

Yep Liverpool does seem abit weaker for Viasat, though I must say I haven't had issues with TD110's and Black Ultras with the pub's I've setup over that way.

I.LuV.ManUTd!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Captain Jack said:
On what receiver? I remember on my DM7020 I had to have around 70% SNR to get a picture. These percentages are simply "indications" and are only good for comparing signals levels on the same make/model receivers but I know from experience that I need around 30% SNR to get colours on both, my old DM800 and the Uno.

Black Ultra. On my Technomate 0.1dB LNB the signal was a few percentage points down.

It is a DM500S, when the rain came that night, I tried my DM800HD. Now I was able to actually see a picture but the break up was too much, it wasn't watch-able by any means. The problem I found is the BER jumping too high on the Hockey and Sport Sweden channels, Norway and Motor were fine.

I see, Black Ultra is the way to go.

UK Sat Online said:

I just want SD, not a HD man myself. Only watch Manchester United in HD and with me being at all home games, that's a rarity in itself.

Rick said:
Yep Liverpool does seem abit weaker for Viasat, though I must say I haven't had issues with TD110's and Black Ultras with the pub's I've setup over that way.

1.1m is pushing it for me, as my house is very open - I'd have having such a large dish on the side of my house. I wonder what people think?