5620 or 7000

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
Hi all, i am considering buying a dreambox but not sure of the model to get.

the 7000 is twice the price of the 5620 yet the only difference i can see is PVR functionality.

I suppose main main concern fs if the 5620 as well supported as the 7000?

cheers

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
homerjay said:
The 7000 is twice the price of the 5620 yet the only difference i can see is PVR functionality.

The 7000 can come, or have a hard disk added to record programmes or store images. It also has a lot of support with various images (some eventually come out for the 5000 range).

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
cheers gameboy, after further investigation it seems the 5620 also lacks a usb port.

So how do people go about setting up a a wireless network connection with this box?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
homerjay said:
cheers gameboy, after further investigation it seems the 5620 also lacks a usb port.

So how do people go about setting up a a wireless network connection with this box?

Hi homerjay
Would go for 7000 as I have access to the 2 boxes. As you go along you will want to experiment with different images add a hd and add a usb stick for more memory. As for wireless networking there is a sticky at start of section. Just got my ethernet router today so will be setting up wireless over the next few days with linskeys wireless broadband router.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
cheers jon, i'm struggling to find the 7000 for less than £275 and i was just about to buy a new 5620 on ebay for £140, but now youve gone and put a doubt in my mind...cheers :-ohmy)

i read that i could still use PVR on the 5620 by networking to a PC, any idea about this?

What would i need the extra memory for anyway?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
homerjay said:
cheers jon, i'm struggling to find the 7000 for less than £275 and i was just about to buy a new 5620 on ebay for £140, but now youve gone and put a doubt in my mind...cheers :-ohmy)

i read that i could still use PVR on the 5620 by networking to a PC, any idea about this?

What would i need the extra memory for anyway?

You can network with the 5620 ok exactly the same as 7000. Different images for 5620 and 7000. The extra memory is very useful as the 5620 memory gets full very quick. You wont be able to load 3 cams say before it full. You wont be able to get many add on as well like games, where in the 7000 you can add a memory stick and you will be able to load a lot of things if needed and you can change between images, like hydra, gemeni, sf, peter pan etc. you can have all these on the stick where in 5620 only 1 in flash. Then you could add a hard drive later for recording movies. If you could hold out a while you wont be sorry, but if you only want a basic one then yea the 5620 is good too.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
great info john, much appreciated...

suppose i'd better have a good look round for a 7000

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
homerjay said:
suppose i'd better have a good look round for a 7000

New models are due out (they have been since late last year) so you may want to consider waiting. This may also bring the price down of the 7000s, if stop making them.

IMHO - Best prices are from German suppliers.

Do a search on this site and you see different peoples experience when they bought them.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
For a serious enthusiast who wants maximum flexibility both now and in the future I would recommend the 7000S. Having said that, you can't deny the fantastic value and top-drawer capability of the 5620S, which will open all the same channels and uses all the same soft CAMs etc as it's bigger brother.

If I had a spare £140, I'd have one of those too, though I wouldn't bother with the 500S, as it's a bit of a toy and not much cheaper than the 5620S.

Personally, I would avoid the new aditions to the 7000 range until a Rev2 version comes out. Too risky, especialy as they seem to be having difficulties in the final testing and QAing stages.

STICK

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
thanks all.... decisions decisions....

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
homerjay said:
thanks all.... decisions decisions....

What system have you got at the minute. And do you have long Hair?? Because you will probally be bald after you get set up.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
Hi Homerjay

Am in the same situation as yourself, 5620 or 7000. Well am just about to order the 5620, as all or I want it for is a bit of footy here and there, so couldn't really justify spending the extra £100+ on the 7000.

Are you thinking of buying from the seller dvb-shop24 ? As thats the one I'm gonna order from. Less than £150 seems a good deal.

Just hope getting this to work, goes a bit better than getting my motor to go to the right Satellite with my SS2 :eek:

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL djc, no - it's a lot harder!!!

Many of the images have really major problems (bugs) with driving a DiSEqC motor!

No, really.

I still drive my 'Dreambox dish' with my SS2, so be warned!

STICK

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Here we go again then O-no

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Actually, I'd like to order from http://www.sat-dream.de/eShop/ 5620s and Null Modem Cable for 165 EUR, but shame they don't have an English version of the site.

Anyone managed to use them before ?

Cheers

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Keep seeing that I need a Crossover cable, but I would be connecting through a DG834 Router, do I not need a normal Cat5 cable ?

Darreen

Reaction score
djc said:
Keep seeing that I need a Crossover cable, but I would be connecting through a DG834 Router, do I not need a normal Cat5 cable ?

Normal Cat5 cable with a router will be fine

Im in a similar situation myself, desiding what model of dreambox to purchase 7000/5620/500. I've been lurking around a few forums for the last weeks reading up on what people have to say.

The 7000 with its USB and HD support does sound very useful for image swapping but its costs that extra £120 or so, the 5620 does sound a good entry level box to experiment with, but many people mention about its low memory space which can fill up very rapidly.

Then we come to the disccusions about the tuner quality on the 7000/5620 not being so good and the 500 having a better one, but the 500 has a cut down remote control.

Im personally thinking about getting a 5620 and if my new found interest/hobby takes off i maybe get myself a 7020 in the future.

I consider myself quite competent with computers and networking so i dont see a problem connecting to the dreambox or configuring it

I plan at first to use the old sky dish thats still connected on the wall outside, until I've saved abit more cash up for a proper dish with a multi LNB on it

Have any other UK people here had much trouble with the tuner quality on the 5620 or problems with the memory getting full too quick ?

Any tips/advice would be gratefully recieved

Darreen

albaniasat

Reaction score
I bought a 5620 and it was broken since the first day. I still haven't received it repaired from the shop dealer and it is been quiete 2 month. These receveirs get repaired in Germany.

If you buy a 5620 remember that this receiver is very fragile and can get blocked for a lot of reasons, like being not grounded, the power goes off, etc. This 5620 needs to be treated like a queen if you want it for a long run.

It has the best ratio price/quality but I would suggest you also other excellent receivers like Fortec 5100 Ultra, Manhatan Piazza etc .

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Darreen said:
Normal Cat5 cable with a router will be fine

Im in a similar situation myself, desiding what model of dreambox to purchase 7000/5620/500. I've been lurking around a few forums for the last weeks reading up on what people have to say.

The 7000 with its USB and HD support does sound very useful for image swapping but its costs that extra £120 or so, the 5620 does sound a good entry level box to experiment with, but many people mention about its low memory space which can fill up very rapidly.

Then we come to the disccusions about the tuner quality on the 7000/5620 not being so good and the 500 having a better one, but the 500 has a cut down remote control.

Im personally thinking about getting a 5620 and if my new found interest/hobby takes off i maybe get myself a 7020 in the future.

I consider myself quite competent with computers and networking so i dont see a problem connecting to the dreambox or configuring it

I plan at first to use the old sky dish thats still connected on the wall outside, until I've saved abit more cash up for a proper dish with a multi LNB on it

Have any other UK people here had much trouble with the tuner quality on the 5620 or problems with the memory getting full too quick ?

Any tips/advice would be gratefully recieved

Darreen
A sky minidish with a current DB tuner will only give a limited range of channels. When you get yr DB, keep yr eye on the SNR level which is displayed. When it gets down towards 60% there is trouble.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
john:

i currently have a skystar 2, nearly had it a couple of years now, and have built a HTPC which i was gonna stream to. Only problem is no HTPC software really supports DVB-S and MDPlugins to make user friendly for the the missus.

So i got hold of a Big Sat 8000 Deluxe, for free, but that is seriously lacking in ability and support, TPS is all i can get at the minute, no Seca2.

Oh and at the minute my Big Sat controls my Diseqc Motor, because i dont seem to be able to get my Skystar 2 to do it, not sure why?

djc: the sat-dream shop looks a bargain, i'd be interested if anybody had used em before! Have you tried emailing them to see if they will deliver to UK. Usually find German Online Shops quite helpfull, ive used a couple in my time.