5x16 multiswitch system

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized. Diablo 2.3 lite cam with cas3 interface.
My Location
Lancashire
Having minor problems with 5x16 multiswitch system with direct burrial cable over an area of say 1/2 a football pitch.

At the business end when I test out it seems to be 100% working. UHF signal strength, perfect. Sat signal 100% on astra 1 and 2. Powers FTA box and seems to work.

When a sky branded box connects to the system it gives me the dreaded 'no signal being rec'. However I did manage to pick up the radio stations and BBC2. Time and date worked fine, even the listings came up, so something was working. On the services, signal test, as I remember it came up with a very small strength bar and little quality. The network id seemed different it was 7d 'something I think', one Ive never seen before.

My only thinking that its not the dish in the wrong place is that the FTA box seems to work great, showing full strength for both astra birds.
Something is not quite right.
I hope this sounds perfectly clear to somebody.
Help required.
AV

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are getting the radio stations and BBC2, then you are on the right satellite, but a couple of your inputs to the switch may be on the wrong connectors, I presume you are using a Quattro LNB?

What sized dish are you using, as that is a long cable run and what type of direct burial cable?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Out of interest,
how are you getting both sats with only a 5x16 multiswitch?
Are you just moving/motorising the dish?

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
It looks like an 80cm dish with a ghost killer aerial above, the cable by the looks of it is CT quality. The test I described above was taken at the furthest away point from the headend, which leaves me thinking the cable is sound.
It is a quattro LNB rolfw, so you think some of the poloarities are the wrong way around? I will investigate today and report back (if it will help i'll take some pictures of setup)
Robbo 71 - I think the size of the dish and the fact its only wanting the astra birds is the reason why I can pick up both. With them being so close together.
Thanks for the help and questions lads.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
aerialview said:
Robbo 71 - I think the size of the dish and the fact its only wanting the astra birds is the reason why I can pick up both. With them being so close together.

Astra 2 and Astra 1 are 9 degrees apart.:confused
Its not possible to pick them both up on a fixed dish without more than one LNB.:confused

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Sorry Robbo but its happening pal and thats that.
Will update tomorrow with your suggestions rolfw.
AV

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It can't be happening, unless the dish is very warped (and I mean very warped). Getting a signal strength on both when in the satellite menu does not mean that you can see both, only that they have transponder frequencies in common.

Only look at the actual channels you can see after scanning.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Well done Rolfw, another problem solved. You are a credit to this community.

The VH and VL were simply the wrong way around, problem solved with minimal effort.

Thank you.

For information, the dish was picking up channels from an astra bird and eurobird.

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
The Astra2x satellites are at 28,2 degrees. The Eurobird 1 is at 28,5. The distance is very small. For that reason they can received by only one LNB.

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Nice one tesla. I was just pointing out that what I thought was astra 1 was actually eurobird, but thanks for the input.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
aerialview said:
Well done Rolfw, another problem solved. You are a credit to this community.

The VH and VL were simply the wrong way around, problem solved with minimal effort.

Thank you.

For information, the dish was picking up channels from an astra bird and eurobird.

Glad you got it sorted mate.:)

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Cheers pal and same here Robbo, the weathers just turned sh*t!
AV