6900 HD Combo Super 'blocky' picture?

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo; 2 dishes; Astra1+2 and Hotbird, Hispasat; external DiSEqC switch.
My Location
Midlands, UK
Hello anyone who has the 6900 HD Combo Super.

I've had it a few days and I'm finding slightly poor picture resolution on some channels, for example, the standard definition ones on Astra2 that don't have such a high bandwidth as some other broadcasters. I'm seeing some 'blockiness' which I can't seem to avoid by changing any of the Display options.
(I'm currently using the latest official firmware, but the latest 6.63p patch seems no different)

You might say, well, those channels simply are not very good quality, but I didn't notice this on my other/last receiver which is a Vantage X221TSCI.
I expect to see a little of this problem only on the terrestrial Freeview channels which, I think, have access to less bandwidth than their satellite versions.

Is anyone else finding what I've described on this model?
Frankly I'm not impressed, to be honest. I went for a Technomate thinking everything generally would be better than in a Vantage. Was I naive?

Thanks for your thoughts and observations,
Lee

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Any specific channels?

I have the 6800 and can check if the same occurs on mine.

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
Hello Robbo,

Pretty much any of them, except the major channels with very high bandwidth.

Thanks for having a look later, but really I would like to hear from users with my specific model. ie if yours is fine I'd still be wondering about mine.
:)

Lee

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I won't bother then.:-rofl2

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
Robbo said:
I won't bother then.:-rofl2
I hope you didn't take offence! None was intended to your kind offer.
Lee

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Of course not.:) Hence the :-rofl2

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
Hello again,

I'm learning that my 'blocky picture' problem may be because I am watching SD channels (with imperfect bit rate) on the HD receiver on my SD TV.
Is there something about watching previously 'ok' SD channels in this way that means you notice the blockiness?
If so, would a HD TV, connected in a certain way, not show the annoying issue?

Thanks,
Lee

mrbean_2008

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec passion
My Location
Bradford
I have the 6900 Super and I connect it via HDMI to my 63" plasma.

I must admit that i dont really see the blockiness of picture, that you are referring too?

Any particular channels or satellites?

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
Hello Mr Bean,

I'm asking around a few forums, trying to work out exactly why and with which receiver that people see blocky artefacts on SD channels.
The jury is still out for me on whether it is an issue on various receivers and/or only if you are watching a SD channel on a HD receiver on a SD TV, for some reason. As I currently am. I see HD channels fine, although obviously not in actual HD.

I'm trying to step up some pace on my 'investigations' to avoid being stuck with the new receiver and no conclusions in a week or so's time.

I see it on essentially most of the SD Astra 2 channels, except the major broadcasters who presumably pay for greater broadcast bandwidth.

If this and/or other receivers 'show up' SD bit rate issues on a SD TV I think it's quite poor, but I might be reassured if they are confirmed to look fine on a HD TV, for some reason. I do need a new TV anyway, really.
You have to look at the picture quite closely to see the issue.
However I don't see it on my SD receiver(s).

Lee

jocktrucker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD, TM6900HDsupercombo, Manhattan xtcm, motorised 90cm 53e to 45w, home cinema system.
My Location
EDINBURGH
The 6900 super has a great picture on the 42" hd tv, cant notice any blockiness on the sd tv, a it is only 19". Will try it on the 42" via the video sender and see.

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK
Thanks, jocktrucker.

I'm going to get a new TV before looking at this again. ie an actual HD one, not that I think that will make my perceived issue go away. I need a new TV anyway.

I have actually since noticed that my Vantage SD also shows the rubbish resolution on SD channels, just not so defined. I suspect my 6900 is fine and I'll just have to turn the 'sharpness' down on the rubbish SD channels, or whatever settings my new TV has.

There's no great rush for me to reach a conclusion, seeing as I can't return the unit for a refund having opened it. I can however send it back via the seller to TM for repair or replacement if I conclude the tuner is deficient.
The trouble is of course, how to actually reach such a conclusion correctly.

jocktrucker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD, TM6900HDsupercombo, Manhattan xtcm, motorised 90cm 53e to 45w, home cinema system.
My Location
EDINBURGH
it seems fine via the video sender. What channel are you trying to view? Try the Astra Demo on 19.2E, and try BBCHD 28.2E, in case it is a slight adjusment that is needed to either the dish or lnb.

mrbean_2008

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec passion
My Location
Bradford
Lee,

What kind of signal are you getting on Astra.

I get a 97% Sig and 94% Quality.

The Movies24 and Movies4Men channels are probably the poorest quality on 28 east. Even with these channels, blockiness is nt on show m8?

I have a m8 with a mid size LCD (not sure of make) and he only gets blockiness when there is sharp picture motion. He identified this a weakness with the processor on his TV. The picture engine was poor. As it was one of the first LCD's to hit market, nothing he could do about it.

Obviously, severe weatherstorms/snow will cause picture problems.

Good Luck

kerrywez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7025, Dreambox 500s, Technomate 6900 Super, Foxsat HD Freesat, 90Cm and 1.2 CM
My Location
Co. Kerry, Ireland
I should have thought that the dish is the problem, not the box.

Regards Wez