A few questions that came up to my mind

Legend_Xeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Yagi Antenna, Normal Color TV, 40 cm ku band dish
Computer:4GB RAM, 2 GHz dual core, 250 GB Internal Disk Drive.
My Location
North India
1. In case of reception of Local TV Channels by Yagi antenna, the height is an important parameter i.e the more the height the more signal you get. Is this true for Dishes too? I have no building or houses around my two storey house. I can put dish either on top of my house or in lawn.

2. We know that, the more the diameter of C-Band Dish, the more low frequency c band signals we shall be able to receive. Is there any particular threshold diameter beyond which we will not get any benefit no matter how much we increase its diameter. Also what's the maximum diameter of commercial c band dish available?

3. Is there any Online Satellite tracker/map that collects and posts information on all satellites?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
1. No (subject to line of sight): The Clarke Belt is 24000 miles above the equator, so putting your dish a few metres closer makes no difference

2. Crumbs for others

3. Depends upon exactly what you mean - I take it you aren't referring to Channel/Package/Footprint details as carried by Flysat, Lyngsat, KingofSat etc, nor to alignment aids like Satsig, Dishpointer etc? You need to be somewhat more specific.

Finally, please amend your Location to a sensible one - we do insist upon that on this Forum, nit least because it can be crucial in deciding how to respond to certain queries.

(Your IP address resolves to Bangalore, India)

Legend_Xeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North India
Tivù said:
1. No (subject to line of sight): The Clarke Belt is 24000 miles above the equator, so putting your dish a few metres closer makes no difference

2. Crumbs for others

3. Depends upon exactly what you mean - I take it you aren't referring to Channel/Package/Footprint details as carried by Flysat, Lyngsat, KingofSat etc, nor to alignment aids like Satsig, Dishpointer etc? You need to be somewhat more specific.

Finally, please amend your Location to a sensible one - we do insist upon that on this Forum, nit least because it can be crucial in deciding how to respond to certain queries.

(Your IP address resolves to Bangalore, India)

Thanks!!
Is it really resolving to Banglore, India? I live in punjab ( North India ).
The websites you mentioned maybe displays only those ones that broadcast TV Services and internet services. I am looking for information and location of ALL Satellites including Weather, Remote Sensing, Spy etc..
I think the above mentioned satellites in those links do these purposes too, but i am not sure. Therefore need a bit clarification. :confused

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok, thanks for putting your Location right.

And thanks also for clarifying want sort of info you need - I don't have the answer though, so you may need to wait a few hours before working members in Europe get home and log-on!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Legend_Xeon said:
The websites you mentioned maybe displays only those ones that broadcast TV Services and internet services. I am looking for information and location of ALL Satellites including Weather, Remote Sensing, Spy etc..
I think the above mentioned satellites in those links do these purposes too, but i am not sure. Therefore need a bit clarification. :confused

-http://n2yo.com has all the info you need on all types of satellites.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
if you have no buildings blocking the signal then on the lawn or on the roof makes no difference.
the satellite is 24,000 miles out or 36,000 km.
6 feet closer or farther makes no difference.
dish type and size does.
offset dishes have a higher gain than prime focus.
there is little more surface.
a 1.80 offset has about the same as gain as a 2 meter prime.
lnb noise fugure and make or lnb as well.
dish alignment and focus as well.
ralph

Legend_Xeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North India
Thanks for the head up. I really appreciate it.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
....Not sure just how important this is ..
But regarding C band reception ...I have read that if you are after weak or fringe channels ...and you are using a prime focus dish ....and the satellites in question are low to the horizon ..relatively speaking ..
Then height does become an important factor ..
Particularly in a part of the world which experiences high temperatures ..
The reflected heat from the ground of nearby objects can affect signal reception at these frequencies.
So the higher the better really ...but not always practical with a large diameter pf dish.
rgds
VS

Mickrobo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400z
1.8 prime motor 0.2, 1.2 offset 0.6, 90 cm motored0.6, 0.6 offset0.6, sly mini
45 45 view of arc
Loads of other stuff. to set up.
My Location
B93 9j* UK
Prime focus dishes are more likely to ground reflection so height is important in damp old UK it might be the same for you my friend, talking from experience not training my cable guy confirmed this he runs a head end it also prevents accidental moving by the dish being hit.