Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Beam Elevation 29.4 means Dish face is 29.4 minus LNB arm offset (around 25 deg, depending upon design), which means your Dish face should be a tiny bit up from vertical.

Azimuth is no doubt calculated correctly, but you can't realistically use a Compass to help (other than crudely) as the dish near it will wildly affect the reading.

Skew also looks correct and , in practice, means you stand looking from LNB to Dish, slacken the LNB collar and rotate clockwise 11 degrees (ie Not much!)

For best idea of actually where to point Dish, try Dishpointer (qv). {I see you have!}

Do you have a Meter or are you relying upon the Receiver. If so, can you see the Receiver's Strength/Quality bars or are you dashing in and out of the house?

finally (and possibly fairly important)can you read a Brand off the LNB? If it is Icecrypt of FSUKVN, then they are a bit strange in that the F connector is at four o'clock for zero skew as opposed to the norm of being at bottom dead centre.

robiscool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky, ScrewFix Satellite Kit, 2 dishes, 47cm and 60cm
My Location
Swindon
Tivù said:
Beam Elevation 29.4 means Dish face is 29.4 minus LNB arm offset (around 25 deg, depending upon design), which means your Dish face should be a tiny bit up from vertical.

Azimuth is no doubt calculated correctly, but you can't realistically use a Compass to help (other than crudely) as the dish near it will wildly affect the reading.

Skew also looks correct and , in practice, means you stand looking from LNB to Dish, slacken the LNB collar and rotate clockwise 11 degrees (ie Not much!)

For best idea of actually where to point Dish, try Dishpointer (qv). {I see you have!}

Do you have a Meter or are you relying upon the Receiver. If so, can you see the Receiver's Strength/Quality bars or are you dashing in and out of the house?

finally (and possibly fairly important)can you read a Brand off the LNB? If it is Icecrypt of FSUKVN, then they are a bit strange in that the F connector is at four o'clock for zero skew as opposed to the norm of being at bottom dead centre.

Hi there,

We were relying on the receiver to tell us if we have any signal. We get about 73% Signal which is just noise from the atmosphere but we have yet to get any quality.

We have now purchased a Sat finder to see if we are picking up a satellite, beforehand one of us was indoors and one of us was watching the TV for signal.

I will try to manoeuvre the satellite dish elevation again tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have more luck.

If I don't have any luck I might get a satellite installer to come out and set it up for me.

If anyone reads this and lives around or in Swindon that can help I wouldn't mind paying if you would like to set it up for me.

I am not too sure on the LNB, I will have a look tomorrow when I try again. For now the dish is up on the wall but not pointing in the right place.

Thanks for your help.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The dish face should be no more than a couple of degrees off vertical.

See if you can get it working on the ground to begin with - the dish can be propped up on an old car tyre or some house bricks for a few minutes.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't give up!

Another Member almost cracked yesterday and even posted a thread seeking on-site help.

But this morning he'd got it sorted himself.

There is hope for everyone :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And I think you might need ready access to the low down on weird LNBs

(Saving time for later ...........! :cool:)

robiscool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swindon
We did it!

We have about 50% signal so we are okay for now, Satellite receiver will come n the next few days so we will be able to get better signal then but for now it works perfectly!

Thank you for all your help!

I already love Pentagon Channel!

robiscool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swindon
Sorry, I meant the Sat Finder!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, an "I told you so" moment (In the nicest possible way!)

Very well done indeed :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Satfinder: Short cable stub supplied is flimsy, so take care to ensure centre core does not miss the female part when you connect it. It may also be too thin to make good contact even if properly inserted.

Any trouble with it, make up a cable stub of your own using decent cable (If you have any left over from the install?) and a couple of F plugs (A quid a packet from B&Q).

........ and I refer to you earlier advice if you have the weird LNB.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Very well done indeed!

One further useful tip: make a marker for the position/location where you have Hotbird so that if in future you play around with the dish, you can have a helpful starting/relocation point.

robiscool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swindon
Thank you all again for your help, this website has been fantastic! I think I might be a regular on here. Its much more helpful than other pay for forums of the same nature. I have plenty of cable left, I had to buy lots more as the cable supplied was pretty poor. Thaks again for the advice!!

This is a strange question.. My receiver lists 60 satellites that I can receive (If I pointed the dish to them that is), I have it on the Hotbird satellite but when I was flicking through the satellite lists, I noticed I was getting some signal on some of the other satellites. Is this because they have the same Frequencies, Symbol Rate and FEC?

I can't really be picking up satellites such as Eurobird etc can I? Its not in the right part of the sky for those satellites? :confused

I know I have the Hotbird Satellite as I have crossed referenced quite a few of the channels that I am receiving and I am 100% sure I have Hotbird.

Its just a little confusing when other satellites come up with signal quality. I have even searched for some of the channels on the other Satellites and it had brought my channel total up to 1800! I am thinking that it must be to do with the frequencies etc but tomorrow I will have a look to see if the box has picked up the same channel multiple times.

I am sure I have found new channels though.

I will come back tomorrow with a list of Satellites that my dish is "picking up" although its a fixed 60cm dish pointed at 13E it can't possibly pick up satellites that are over 15 degrees in difference... Can it?

I have a feeling 1800 channels and 600 radio stations is going to take quite a long time to flick through! Might find a Country Music channel though so it's not all bad ;)

Would love to know what you think. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
robiscool said:
Is this because they have the same Frequencies, Symbol Rate and FEC?

I can't really be picking up satellites such as Eurobird etc can I? Its not in the right part of the sky for those satellites? :confused

You have it spot on, they share common frequencies.:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Like Rolf says spot on go to the top of the class, that is exactly what you are experiencing. Have a look at
_http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html to check the channels you are receiving

The number seems about correct, well done

Unlike other sites contributions are voluntary and entirely up to you no obligation, most mods and admin have a link in their sig if you want to contribute, some members can afford others cannot.

robiscool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swindon
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me on that one. The different satellites my receiver thinks its receiving are..

Atlantic Bird
Nilesat 101
Amos 1,2
Eurobird 9
Hotbird 6,7
Eurobird 2
Badr-3,4
C-band:BAD
Intelsat 12

Although now I see that they are sharing the same common frequencies.

I am unsure on where to ask this part, I looked over the forum sections but I didn't want to get in trouble for posting somewhere I shouldn't. My question is..

Why are some channels awfully loud and some awfully quiet?

Thanks again for all the help!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
robiscool said:
Hi there,

I am unsure on where to ask this part, I looked over the forum sections but I didn't want to get in trouble for posting somewhere I shouldn't. My question is..

Why are some channels awfully loud and some awfully quiet?

Thanks again for all the help!

Very good question, to which I wouldn't mind seeing a qualified answer too!

You will find that some are so loud that they take the receiver's own audio amplification into severe distortion. I suspect most of us leave the receiver sound level slider fixed, possibly at max., and rely upon the TV or External Audio System for adjustment. It can occasionally frighten the life out of you when you hit an "awfully loud" channel (especially if you've gone straight from a quiet one) :eek:

Even just last night, we were watching a BBC4 Jools H. prog with*/about Johnny Cash and it was very quiet, so we turned up our Amp to compensate ................ forgot about it, so when the prog. ended ........ our ears were in danger of falling off.

You'll also come across Channels where the Video quality is worse than abysmal, too.

One would assume there are standards for the level and quality of uplinked transmissions but, even if there are, they are clearly not complied with!

*"with" not really possible as he is slightly dead^, but I know what I meant :-ohmy

^ That's JC, not JH ....................

robiscool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Swindon
I was also wondering why some scrambled channels come through, The channels are listed as scrambled but now and again 1 or two pop that are meant to be scrambled but I can watch them? :confused

Thanks for coming back with a really informative answer. I thought it was my signal that was causing some of the poor video signals. Some I have flicked through are really pixelated and some are unwatchable.

I think I might be lurking around on these forums quite a lot as it really is helpful.

Thank you all for being really helpful and nice! :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Lurk away - we're here because we want to help. And all of us still have plenty to learn. This is an absorbing hobby as you're beginning to find out!

As regards Scrambled Channels: Good examples are Rai Uno, Rai Due, Rai Tre and Canale 5 as we're on Hotbird at present: Most of the time, the versions you have got scanned in are Free To Air, but when Premium/Rights Restricted content is aired, they will Encrypt.

On the flip side, there are often "Free View" promos by some Channels that will clear for the odd weekend or whatever, presumably to entice people to Subscribe.

Then there are clear periods for technical reasons .... and so on.

Back to Rai etc: Some of these Channels are duplicated in different Pay Packages, even on the same Satellite, so that adds even more confusion bearing in mind they can also be had for free (some of the time)!

Keep an eye on sites like flysat, kingofsat, lyngsat for reports of interesting changes, new channels, FTA periods etc.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Congratulations on your successful initiation Rob ...
I can see 'the bug' has already bitten deep ;)

I'll give it 6 months before you are wanting to replace your installation with a motorised one ...
rgds
VS