A little guidance please

FRAZER

Reaction score
I am about to set up a new motorised system for my Nokia 9902, and would like to be able to have the option to use a second receiver off the same lnb whilst recording on the hard disk. Having read through the archives a little, I guess my two options are a twin lnb with two separate cables, or some sort of splitter (which I thought was a member of the Peoples Front of Judea myself).

Does any one have any advice as to which would work better? Would I need two completely separate cables for the twin lnb option, or does anyone manufacture one with two wrapped together which only separate at the ends for just such uses?

Any help gratefully received- I fear I might be straying out of my depth!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Frazer, if you wish to use both simultaneously you will need a twin LNB and two cables. There is a cable called shotgun, used for the Sky digital+ , which is a slightly smaller diameter cable bonded to another, therefor easy to run.

Rolf

FRAZER

Reaction score
Thanks Rolf, that sounds like a convenient option. What exactly do splitters do then- I got the impression from other posts that they are used to link different houses to the same lnb, allowing them to simultaneously watch different channels from the same satellite. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you look at a standard Universal LNB, it has four output states, which can only be delivered one at a time.

Horizontal Polarisation, Low Band
Horizontal Polarisation, High Band
Vertical Polarisation, Low Band
Vertical Polarisation, High Band

A given channel on a given transponder could be on any one of those four, so if you require Canal+ using the first state on one receiver and Taquila using the last state on another receiver, there will be a conflict, therefor a splitter will not work.

The solution is the twin LNB, it is effectively two LNBs in one.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Frazer, missed out the last bit :) If you require more than a few separate outlets, there is a switch available which is fed by a quatro LNB which has each of the four states on four different outputs. The switch allows 8/12/16 or so different lines out to be independently switched.

Rolf

FRAZER

Reaction score
Haven't I seen somewhere the same thing for just one output being split into two though? But for me the twin lnb solution would be the way to go you think, especially as this dual cable will make it more convenient to hook up than running two separate leads along the same route.

Thanks again for your advice.