A misuse of the new section maybe, but hey...

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Anyone ever see Madame X ....Lana Turner. Now that what I called a Babe then.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Saturlight said:
Ever heard of "The Man With the Golden Gun"? What's it about? :D

James Bond novel/film (as usual, they're a bit different!). The man with the golden gun - Scaramanga - is a freelance assasin who kills for money (a counterpart of Bond, who is "licensed to kill"). In the film, played by Christopher Lee.

Before killing somebody, Scaramanga always sends them a golden bullet with their name inscribed on it, and Bond receives one .... M suggests that, rather than waiting to be assasinated, Bond instead goes after Scaramanga ....

(Considered rationally, this is completely bonkers, as - obviously - anyone who knows they're marked for assassination will immediately go into hiding!).

The Golden Gun is Scaramanga's "penis extension" (presumably, he's compensating ....). He also has a 3rd nipple, which in fact some people do (in the middle ages, it was a sign that you were a witch, although Fleming here uses it to indicate femininity: homosexuality? Which - I hasten to add - is of course complete rubbish!!!).
Fleming had this thing about "sexual folklaw", there's some such stuff in all the James Bond novels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_the_Golden_Gun .

Was shown on free to air tv just 2 weeks ago, and no doubt will be again soon.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I've seen it before, but could never work the film out... Thanks. :D

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
spiney said:
just to say, that's Dorothy Parker, who was very much a critic!

More at:
http://www.workinghumor.com/quotes/dorothy_parker.shtml .
(worh looking at, some are very funny!).

Some doubt about who said that first. I've got Kenneth Tynan and Walter Kerr as quoting it originally, perhaps they were all witty enough to have thought of that one.

Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Don't believe all you read in the Guardian (My paper of choice incidentally). Remember their retraction of the Pugwash names myth?

I'll stand corrected on Parker when you find the review, I'd like to know myself...

Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Llew said:
Don't believe all you read in the Guardian (My paper of choice incidentally). Remember their retraction of the Pugwash names myth?

I'll stand corrected on Parker when you find the review, I'd like to know myself...

Llew

Yes, can't disagree with that!

However, I think David Benedict probably knows the original source! (if he got it wrong, there would immediately have been lots of letters!).

Significantly, Dorothy Parker Wiki quote doesn't mention it as being MIS-ATTRIBUTED, which as it's such a famous quote, you might reasonably expect.

(added) hmmm ..... a few quotation sites do attribute to Kerr, and - more important! - mention the actual article! In which case, when did it get switched to Dorothy, and why do lots of knowledgable people - including theatre critics - still attribute it to her?

(could it be they BOTH said it?).