Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you or assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion, his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Nice one Topper, moving this to the Meeting Place.:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
wise words m8

it's a shame but true

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
“Common sense is not so common.”

Voltaire, 1694-1778

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Topper said:
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

That was a long time ago wasn't it?

Anyway, it still reminds me of the first year embryology student who, soon after the 'hot' coffee incident, decided to plunge his right arm into a 'may contain cold liquid' container of Nitrogen.

As far as I know he is still typing out his claim, LOL :-rofl2 :-rofl2

Droll, very very droll.

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Dangerous stuff!

400 years ago, everybody knew witches existed, and it was only common sense to execute them (in case they cast spells on you!).

Common Sense also suggests we reinstate capital punishment, because it "deters" (in fact, it doesn't, and in any case would hardly deter suicide bombers!).

I don't know where that article came from, but in fact churches didn't become businesses, they WERE businesses. It was Calvinism that led directly to the capitalist system we have today!

As for The Ten Commandments, I'd suggest actually reading them. Both Exodus chapter 20, and the stuff that follows (The Old Testement is particularly explicit about the ritual slaughtering and dismembering of various animals ....).

http://www.angelfire.com/art/megathink/russell.html .

http://www.utilitarianism.com/ol/one.html .

On the other hand, if you mean "silly regulations", then yeah! As Auberon Waugh used to point out, Parliament does nothing but legislate, and therefore there's an ever increasing "laws mountain".

Many of the examples cited in original post above are legal disclaimers, arising from our new "Litigation Culture". Pursue rabid (unrestrained) free market policies, and that's what you get!