absolute beginner seeks motorised system...

TimUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not yet installed
My Location
Herts
After many years of sky digital I have decided to cancel my subscription and install a motorised system

I don't watch much "pay" sky and my wife is originally arabic so the ability to pick up such channels appeals.

Looking around I see complete "no brand" systems for around £140 - this is with a HiDef receiver, 80cm or so dish, bracket and motor.

Does anyone have experience of such cheap set-ups ? In particular the dish/motor side of things.

I will install the system myself, have installed several fixed set-ups and have a scaffolding tower so don't forsee any problems here, though should I budget for one of the cheap signal meters or are these not required as I guess all recievers have on-screen meters.

Grateful of any comments or alternative systems I should consider, would obviously like to keep spend down.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
TimUK said:
I will install the system myself, have installed several fixed set-ups and have a scaffolding tower so don't forsee any problems here, though should I budget for one of the cheap signal meters or are these not required as I guess all recievers have on-screen meters.

A cheap meter is probably worth getting because the indication is available "on location" while you align the system: Receiver metering is obviously invaluable if you can see it ............. (or, as with my SL65, hear it!)

But a basic meter is so cheap it would be daft not to have one handy. Just beware that the short cable stub they come with uses cr*p quality cable with a really thin centre core which can easily bend, break or fail to engage adequately with F sockets: Best idea is to make a short stub up yourself - not only can you guarantee decent connections, but you can cut it to a length that is manageable for your system, as opposed to the usual "any piece of cable cut to length is always too short".

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you buy one of these cheap kits, don't use the crappy L bracket they normally supply, treat yourself to a set of T&K brackets and a piece of scaffold pole.