Actuator / Motor or Multiple LNB's??

Samsnake

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7000S + 120Gb HDD, 0.8m Dish, Staab H-H Motor. Fortec Star Passion
My Location
Swindon, UK
I need your help and advice on how I should upgrade my system to access more satellites either, with a motor or with multiple LNB's? My funds are limited, budget around 100 pounds....Apologies if this issue has been discussed at length before.

My STB is a dreambox (no 36v output) and my dish is a 1.2m fortec star (heavy at 17kg's). So far I have moved my dish manually which was fun at first but now a pain in the neck! The range of sats I have used to date are 19E, 13E, 1W and 30W.

I could use multiple LNB's and switches for say 19E, 13E, 5E and 1W and could possibly live without 30W??? (Cheap, quick zapping and reliable but limited sat access) or, am I missing some good value viewing on sats I have yet to try with a motor?

My concern is that a Disecq motor may not be durable enough since I am at the extreme of the operating window - 1.2m dia and 17kgs max - I am always surfing the channels so it would be swinging from left to right...every night!

If I was to take the 36v route, funds permitting, I would need a Vbox, polar mount, actuator and replace my cable, not sure I would get approval from higher authorities for such luxury!!!

Obviously you get what you pay for.....so:

Do I buy the LNB's? (Cheapest but restrictive)
Do I buy a Disecq motor (Worried about reliability)
Do I buy 36v System (to be honest too expensive) unless anyone knows of any good deals...

Your feedback will be much appreciated

Samsnake

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You will get a DiSEqC motor (new) on eBay for around £40 - £50.

Fit it yourself (if you have a meter - £10) and you should be OK

!.2m dish is at the top end of these motors but I think it would be worth a try.

Just remember to leave the dish at 1 deg west so the wind doesn't catch it ;-)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I know folks do use 1.1M and 1.2M dishes on diseqc motors, but personally I like to operate with a margin of 'safety' and personally wouldn't go over 1.0m.

I think you've talked yourself out of the 36V route based on cost, so there's my recommendation. Multiple LNB's.

You can always add a motor later (when your 'higher authority' is in a good mood! :) )

To be quite honest, the 36v stuff has fallen from grace a bit based on the ease and simplicity of diseqc, so you might pick up some cheap stuff on ebay if you're patient.

STICK

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
A Motorised system of some sort has got to be the ultimate to achieve your obective in the end...
Adding LNB's has its limitations as Im sure you know.
There are a number of motorised options here>>>....
_http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motors.htm

John