Advice for a Newbie

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
ChrisWW said:
Re this current thread. Iam just about to put a 80 CM dish on the North Wall of the house so it "Looks" over the top of the roof.. The calculated angle of the roof is about 30 degress so I know I will have to have the dish up a little so as to see down to about 24 degress either side of the centre...Now my question is if I fit this said dish and motor on a 18 inch T K barcket fitted with Raw Bolts into brick will I have any obvious problems when the wind blows and it certainly can here at times or should I consider fitting lower which can be done but will be a pain.....Thanks

Chris......the Satellite Superstores web site has some good information on fixing brackets for dishes and sells some heavy duty stuff which looks like it wouldn't move if King Kong was swinging from it :)

Frank

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
wod said:
and then feed all that into a diseqc switch to a receiver then your sorted

Oh yeah the receiver....lucky I don't need to fix that to a wall as well:)

Frank

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
frankg4553 said:
This is sounding more and more the way to go. I've got a perfect spot on the west facing wall of the house with a clear view to 30W for the Hispasat dish (say 1 a metre) which would not be too obtrusive and then I could use an 80 or 90cm one with multi LNB's for the eastern satellites as you say.

Thanks again Robbo...very helpful.

Frank

Don't forget to let us know how it all goes.

I bet I know what your next question is gonna be though, once you get all the kit. Its how do you set up the multi-bracket and align the LNBs?

Once you've found out, it would be interesting to know how easy/difficult it is.

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:
Don't forget to let us know how it all goes.

I bet I know what your next question is gonna be though, once you get all the kit. Its how do you set up the multi-bracket and align the LNBs?

Once you've found out, it would be interesting to know how easy/difficult it is.

Nah...that'll be easy:) :confused:eek:

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:
I have a motorised dish that can go from 0 degrees to 30 degrees east before things get in the way. I also have a fixed dish on Hispasat.

Unfortunately Im having a problem at the moment in that I cant get my diseqc motor to work through my 4-way diseqc switch. So I have put up yet another dish for 28.2. The motorised dish can then be used between Astra 1 and hotbird by briefly plugging in the motor and changing the position.

I have come round to the idea that for my purposes for the moment that a motor is not the best option for just picking up 30W, 13E,19.2E and 28.2E, which is all I want.

I can't have a big dish with a multi bracket on due to complaints from 'er' indoors and neighbours.

But a largish (0.8m to 0.9m)dish with an LNB multibracket covering
13E,19.2 and 28.2E with a separate dish for Hispasat would be an ideal solution. You don't have to wait for the dish to move and also you can put a twin LNB up for 28.2E so a $ky box can be connected and won't be disturbed as it would if the dish was motorised.

Yes, so I agree, if you definetely only want the major 3 eastern birds plus Hispasat then then 1 fixed dish plus one multibracket dish would be an excellent solution.

Oh and 28.5 Eurobird can be classed as being in the same location as 28.2 Astra 2. If you aim your dish at one, the signals from the other will also be picked up.

I've been reading up so much on dishes that I'm a bit confused now :confused

I'm getting varying info that I need anything from an 80cm to a 1 metre dish to get Hispasat at my location. Obviously I don't want to put up a larger dish than I need to be able to get good reception in all weathers.....the usual worries over it looking too big and then there's the wind problem.

I am really only interested in getting 28.2/28.5, 19.2 and 13E and also Hispasat as I can't see me getting much use out of the others, which is why I'm uncertain about going motorised.
So....what size dish would gaurantee the quality of reception I'm after on the 3 eastern sats and what size on the Hispasat.

If I did go motorised, what size would gaurantee quality reception on all four sats.

I suppose what I would like to do is put up an 80cm rather than a 1 metre if I could get the quality of reception, but would I be disappointed.....and then wish I gone to a 90cm or 1 metre :confused

Would quality/make of dish make a difference to my choice on size?

Thanks for your help and patience so far

Frank

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
According to the satellite footprints on Lyngsat the EIRPs (dBW) for the north of England are:-
Hispasat=52
Astra 1KR=50
Hotbird=52
Astra 1=51-56

so theoretically if the dish is large enough for Astra 1KR it should be large enough for the others.

Sometimes the only guarantee is to try it.