Advice on new receiver...

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I have a Vu+ Solo, and an Alien2+ in the living room, Alien2's doing my tits right in with glitches during or after recording etc. I need a capable box without breaking the bank, which gets me onto my question, Is the Xtrend 9500 any good? Is there any support beyond Vix, Blackhole etc available?

Sent from my T5 using Tapatalk

A nonymous

Reaction score
Xtrend boxes are very good and capable boxes. As far as i know VIX suport the Xtrend boxes as do OpenATV and OpenLD. Its all down to what you want from your box, If you want reliability and stability it may also be worth looking at the Gigablue range. They are cheap as chips and are great boxes, abeit not the fastest on the market but still good boxes.

I am now in the beleif that if you want a solid box to watch TV on and record on stick with one thats a few years old as most of the firmware glitches would have been ironed out of it. New boxes are great if you want a new toy but with anything new you have to tolerate the unknown glitches with the firmware. No Enigma 2 box is ever 100% free of glitches, its the nature of the beast.

Firmware also has a lot to do with issues on your boxes also, so it may be worth looking at trying different firmware on you Amiko box.

I still have my Alien 2 with OpenATV on it and its not too bad at all, it still throws tantrums every now and then but is no worse than some of my other boxes. The firmware has finally caught up with them making them a fairly capable box.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I have a Vu+ Solo, and an Alien2+ in the living room, Alien2's doing my tits right in with glitches during or after recording etc. I need a capable box without breaking the bank, which gets me onto my question, Is the Xtrend 9500 any good? Is there any support beyond Vix, Blackhole etc available?

The only boxes that are more or less glitch free are closed source. Even the then they have the very occasional problem.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
My closed source receivers are glitch free with the correct software,
The only problems I have is with VM at certain times :rolleyes:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
The only boxes that are more or less glitch free are closed source. Even the then they have the very occasional problem.
As TJ says even closed source boxes have their problems ..but on the whole ..I prefer them for stability..
Not that I have yet found a single box that fulfils all requirements..
If only such a thing existed I'd buy it myself.

I currently have my trusty F15 on line ..along with a TM5402 MKIII ...OpenboxSX6 ...and an old AZ premium..
Overkill you might think ..
But until a box exists that has the tuner sensitivity of the F15 ....ability to open multistream and 16PSK like the the SX6 ....ability to open PVu ....and SD/HD 4:2:2 like the AZbox ....with the combined channel storage space and sat position space of all 4 boxes (99 is no longer sufficient with so much on the arc)...I'll have to stack boxes..
doh!

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Vipersan I don't think that's overkill at all mate, I used to have four boxes in the living room alone, a TM 5402 for moving the dish, a TM TWIN (Liked that box), a Samsung $ly Italia box and a Spiderbox 7000, no need for the living room radiator on! lol. I might try another firmware on the Alien, theres a new version of my current choice up for download, just a pain in the arse starting from scratch.

A

Archive-8

Vipersan I don't think that's overkill at all mate, I used to have four boxes in the living room alone, a TM 5402 for moving the dish, a TM TWIN (Liked that box), a Samsung $ly Italia box and a Spiderbox 7000, no need for the living room radiator on! lol. I might try another firmware on the Alien, theres a new version of my current choice up for download, just a pain in the arse starting from scratch.

I thought that was normal!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I'm still using a tm1500ci moving dish and a skybox f5s for any hd stuff.

Would prefer one box as still use official cards and cams

Anyone got tm5502hd?

William-1, is the blind scan better on this over 5402

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(50 east to 45 west)

(53 east to 45 west)
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I'm still using a tm1500ci moving dish and a skybox f5s for any hd stuff.

Would prefer one box as still use official cards and cams

Anyone got tm5502hd?

William-1, is the blind scan better on this over 5402

Better much better Blind Scan with the TM5502HD when compared to any other TM including all the 3 versions of 5402HD & 6900 & 6902 these are ok for watching tv but the TM5502 HD is the best receiver for the enthusiast with some very helpful menu's
Before you scan a satellite you can see where the active transponders are with the Spectrum analyser,
Then you set your start & stop + Polarization,
The readout gives you everything you need to know including fec & modulation type unlike the M3 the info given by the 5502HD is correct :)

A nonymous

Reaction score
I'll let you know if the XTrend ET9500 is any good in the next few days. One of my receivers (DM800 Se) went bang on me this morning so i thought at £129 it would be a good receiver to play with so i purchased one from WOS.

Will have to wait and see over the next few days to see if i get on with it, although i don't see any reasons why it wont be a good box.

Last edited:

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Please do let us know your thoughts Manic, In the mean time I've found out one of the bugs in this firmware I can try to avoid

A nonymous

Reaction score
Mine seems to be ok at the moment, it seems to take everything i've chucked at it up to now.

What bug is it your referring to ghostleader.

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Better much better Blind Scan with the TM5502HD when compared to any other TM including all the 3 versions of 5402HD & 6900 & 6902 these are ok for watching tv but the TM5502 HD is the best receiver for the enthusiast with some very helpful menu's
Before you scan a satellite you can see where the active transponders are with the Spectrum analyser,
The readout gives you everything you need to know including fec & modulation type unlike the M3 the info given by the 5502HD is correct :)

Yep, have to agree, had mine delivered on friday, very very pleased and William has helped me sort a few related firmware etc queries, thanks William. respect-048.gif

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Mine seems to be ok at the moment, it seems to take everything i've chucked at it up to now.

What bug is it your referring to ghostleader.
If you move the dish to another sat and then back to 28E because you have a recording set timer record the box reboots, bloody stoater that one lol. As a sat enthusiast with a motorised dish I tend to move my dish...........call me old fashioned! Lol

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(50 east to 45 west)

(53 east to 45 west)
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
The TM5502HD is excellent with low symbol rates as low as 800

DSCN1020[1].JPG DSCN1022[1].JPG

A nonymous

Reaction score
I can only compare it against my Gigablue. It doesn't seem to be any better or any worse with low symbol rates than the Gigablue 800se is. I will have to do more testing as an when i get the time. I'm starting a new job next week which will give me my life back, so there will be more time for playing with my sat stuff.

I have already ordered new equipment to fix various faults on my setup so hopefully i will be able to get back into it :D

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Just to add to this thread, I've updated to the latest version of my chosen image and bug that effected me is sorted! Still want a new toy though lol

A nonymous

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a TM 5402, not had a non linux box for a while but the PV stuff intrigues me. I will probably get a second hand one unless i find a new one at a decent price.

I'm also just waiting for my new 5 in 8 out multiswitch and 3 new DISEqC switches and my setup on my SMATV system should be back to it previous standard :D

A nonymous

Reaction score
To be honest i'm well impressed with the XTrend. Its not the fastest box on the market but it works well and upto now hasn't really thrown me any curve balls, its done everything i've asked it to.

So much so i have no retired my Gigablue 800se. My next toy will hopefully be a TM5402HD. Been a while since i last played with a non linux TM box. My last was a TMS 1500 CI+It was a fantastic box for its time. It gave me many hours of enjoyment when TPS (now Canal+), Digital+, TV Cabo (Zon) , and Premier (Sky Germany) plus many more were wide open on Keys.

Nano