Advice on removing digital noise

Steve_W

Reaction score
Website
southerndigital.tv
My Satellite Setup
60cm on Astra 2 with TM 7100 HD, Triax 80cm dish motorised with Icecrypt S3700CHD looped into TM 5302HD, WDTV Live, Xbox360
My Location
Thanet, Kent, UK
I am second fixing a flat which has a single WF100 cable with 28.2 east & DVB-T from the Dover transmitter diplexed together.

This is a communal system in a council block, although this flat and all but 1 of the flats is privately owned. It is an old building with plenty of character.

Problem is, the council have been contacted as in certain weather conditions, 2 of the muxes on Dover suffer from breakup. I looked at the incoming signal on my spectrum analyser (Promax Prodig-5) and could see a lot of noise with the digital peaks showing distortion.

So, the council have been told repeatedly about the problem and not resolved it. The new flat owners are moving in tomorrow and old Stevie boy here is faced with telling them that their new YouView box is... well, a NoView box!

So, is there any way I could interrupt the signal from the multiswitch (the connection from the switch is on the balcony), split the DVB-T & DVB-S signal then use some filtering/levelling on the signal to try to push up the higher frequencies and remove some of the noise?

I could just put a dip-2 diplexer to split the signal, but what can I use to clean up the terrestrial TV?

Many thanks...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably too late to filter at that stage, (although no harm in trying) you would need to filter pre multiswitch. Do you think it's perhaps bleed over from the satellite band in the multiswitch?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As the issue is only under certain weather conditions, in Dover, then that gives you a clue as to what the problem is.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Are we talking interferance from France by any chance?

Is there any way off pulling in those muxes from another transmitter and possibly combining them into the system with something like a profiler?

I have only done an aerial in Ramsgate at my mates house but that was to specifically pick up French terrestrial TV which works quite well. Mind you it is a big Televes DAT75 aerial.