Advice or suggested installer (leicester)

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish (Amiko Motor). Amiko Alien2+, Amiko Alien Mini, GigaBlue IPBOX, Ariva 203, Sky+HD 2TB, NC+, TNTSAT, MTV Unlimited Cards. Mac Mini, MacBook Pro.
My Location
Loughborough, Liecestershire, UK
Hi

I have a motorised 80cm dish but over the last few days its not been able to track the arc. All i can see to pick up is 13e everything else shows 0% signal an quality. Can anyone suggest either the best way to fix this or suggest an installer that covers Leicestershire that could help me solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish (Amiko Motor). Amiko Alien2+, Amiko Alien Mini, GigaBlue IPBOX, Ariva 203, Sky+HD 2TB, NC+, TNTSAT, MTV Unlimited Cards. Mac Mini, MacBook Pro.
My Location
Hi

I have a motorised 80cm dish but over the last few days its not been able to track the arc. All i can see to pick up is 13e everything else shows 0% signal an quality. Can anyone suggest either the best way to fix this or suggest an installer that covers Leicestershire that could help me solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Just to add the motor does move the dish

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4, 1.8channelmaster, tm5402, tech1500, db920
My Location
Leic
If you are on 13 east, you should be able to pick up some kind ofsignal on 10east or 16 east at least.
Are you sure you are on 13 east, and not another satellite with same transponder?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Can you post some photos of your set up? We may be able to spot something obviously amiss. My first guess is that the dish has slipped round the motor stub.

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry for the slow response but I've been away with work for a few days. Yeh i can pick up 7e and 10 but can't pick up the two others i need (19.2 and 1w). I know I'm on 13e as i have a NC+ subscription. I'll pop out and grab some photos for you shortly.

My meter is showing a decent signal strength but no quality and no lock if i tune to any of those sats (19.2/1w or 28.2)

Ben

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Two ideas:

First check the F connector at the motor end of the cable between LNB and Motor is tight. These can come loose with repeated panning of the dish if the cable isn't constrained by eg strapping it to the pole.

Then try gently pushing the dish upwards from the bottom of the rim to see if the signal returns. It isn't unusual for the dish to drop a little over time, if the dish bracket isn't really securely fastened.

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for the advice but after a LOT of swear words, coffee and almost an entire pack of chocolate hobnobs i've cracked it. Swung the dish to 4.8e and it was just a fraction out. A few mins on the meter and it seems to have returned all the sats I'm missing.

Thanks for the help guys !

Ben

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Surely it was worth it for the Hob Nobs alone?!

benwiddowson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm FTA set-up / Mac Mini
My Location
Leicestershire, UK
It was at the time and it was great weather so I enjoyed being outside with only the dish for company (very relaxing). Waist line might disagree.

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I seem to have encountered another issue. The motor (using USALS) will move between the birds i use the most (19.2 13 23.5 and 28.2) fine. If i try and move to 1w it stops before it hits that point in space and refuses to move any further west. Its between two satellites so i can't tell exactly where its stopping. Ive checked the Amiko (running Vix4) and there are no limits set. I did connect it to a Ariva box for a few days and I'm wondering could that have done something to the motor? There is an option in Vix4 to recalibrate but i don't want to do that as I'm not sure exactly how it works and the only reference satellites i have are 19/13/23 and 28. It was originally setup using 4.8.

Any ideas?
Ben

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just to add there is an option in Vix (in positioner setup to manually go to a satellite). That will go past the blockage and can happily go to any point in place i choose.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sounds like the Motor needs resetting.

Look at your Instruction Leaflet for it and it should mention a small hole under the casing next to one of the buttons.

Inserting a thin but rigid rod (Straightened out paper clip is favourite) into that hole should do the trick.

Drive the dish as near to zero as possible first, so unexpected movement upon resetting doesn't catch you by surprise.

benwiddowson82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Once i've re set it do i need to do anything to it or is it just a case of selecting a sat from the channel list and watch it go?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hopefully you should be able to select and go.

I suggest you select 1W before resetting - even if the dish doesn't properly settle there.