Advice required

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
Hi guys, I'm new to the site :-wave
I live in Manchester with my Romanian wife. She misses home and the TV there.
As I have no idea about satellite systems I really need some help.
What dish and receiver would I need to receive as many channels as possible?
We're going to Romania in September should I bring anything back with me like a card or receiver etc?

Can't you tell I have no idea what I'm talking about:-doh2

Can anybody help me out?

Terry

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi Terry,
as a starter have a look on lyngsat.com and flysat.com
Here is a list of all FTA Satellite Romanian channels available (according to Flysat):-
_http://www.flysat.com/tv-ro.php

Dish size needed varies

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Terry, welcome to the forum. :)

This page for All Romanian Free to Air channels.

From Manchester, a 90cm/1m dish pointed at Eutelsat W2 at 16 East should get you a few Romanian Free to Air channels.

For Free To Air channels, any digital receiver will do, but if you look at this link, there are some Romainian channels which are encrypted in Powervu, for these you need a dedicated receiver and subscription.

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
Cheers guys.
rolfw to get those channels which I need a subscription for. Who do I subscribe with?

So if I buy any 1m dish I could use a dedicated receiver and get the pay channels plus free to air channels?

I'm a little confused on the receivers and subscriptions etc.

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
Having checked the link given by Robbo those FTA channels would be plenty for my wife. She's Romanian.

So all I need then is a 1m dish and a good digital receiver with the dish setup correctly?

What's the going rate for them both?

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
Is this any good?
ebay 220130271204

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You won't get all of the FTA channels on that page, only the ones from individual satellites, Eutelsat W2 seems to have the best selection.

Have a look at our advertisers here, they sell dishes and receivers, whilst at the same time supporting our forum. :)

Site Services

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 1.2M Fibo looking between 45E - 60W, TM9100 Receiver running EDG-Nemesis 3.2 in flash
My Location
Wolverhampton
TerryGSi said:
Having checked the link given by Robbo those FTA channels would be plenty for my wife. She's Romanian.

So all I need then is a 1m dish and a good digital receiver with the dish setup correctly?

What's the going rate for them both?
Don't forget, TerryGSi, that the link supplied by Robbo shows fta Romanian channels that are available, but these are spread over 7 satellites. Unless you want to go with a motorised dish I would pick the channels, that are on the same satellite, that your wife would most enjoy and find out if it's viewable from your location.

Edit: Memo to self, must increase my typing speed.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, that's the nice thing about these systems, they are easily expandable. :)

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
On the FTA channels they show things like 5E or 16E or W. I take it that E stands for the dish to be pointing east?
If the dish is fixed could I get channels on 5E and 16E or is it a case of set the dish to pick up one or the other?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You can receive two, and sometimes three satellites with a decent sized dish (say 80cm or more) using a multi-LNB setup, but with the satellites you mention, they are too far apart on the satellite arc to acheive this without going motorised.

Best to stick with the dish aimed at one satellite, say 16E.

Llew

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
Cheers, i thought as much. On this link http://www.lyngsat.com/ew2.html given by rolfw, Are they all the channels available in one position?
It lists this at the top of the page Eutelsat W2 at 16.0°E

TerryGSi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin Cable
My Location
Manchester
I've just asked and the 2 main channels she wants are Antenna 1 and Pro TV which are all listed as FTA on Eutelsat W2 at 16.0°E. Looks like I've found the satellite I need. Now just to price up the dish and receiver.
Any pointers on what brand of dish and receiver or specs I should be looking at for a decent one?
Other than the dish, receiver and cabling what else do I need?