Almost lost my Dish!! :(

scuba pete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky, Dreambox DM7025, Triax 1.1, Echostar AD-3000IP
My Location
Glasgow
Well it has only been up one day and it almost blew away. Not a good start really. It is a triax 1.1m dish. It is blowing a gale here in scotland and somehow the vibration worked 3 of the blots loose that hold the dish surface to the bracket behind. I got the dish second hand it was already assembled. The nuts where tight but not tight enough it seems. I will have to used something to lock the thread.

Where can I get replacement bolts etc. Will triax sell them? I might just head over and see what I can find in the local hardware shops.

What a nightmare, well at least I did kill anyone, lol.

Pete

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I best watch out for that, I have the same dish. :)

The nuts and bolts are nothing special though, although stainless steel ones would be best so that they don't rust. I imagine Screwfix would do something similar.

At work I have used something call 'nutlock' I think its called, its like a purply glue stuff you put on the thread before putting the nut on.

Did you have the dish up quite high?

Robbo:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Loctite should do it. :)

scuba pete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow
I am the top of a 5 story block of flats. It is like win tunnel sometimes. I have to say these are the worst winds I have seen in years.

On a happier note I did realise that the lnb arm goes through the dish, so even if all the bolts came out it should not fall, lol. I will have to see what I can find to bolt it back on.

Did you figure out which way around the bracket attaches to the back of the dish? I got the manual from triax but it is not really clear. I think I have it right though.

Did you find a single lnb holder rolfw?

Pete

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
scuba pete said:
Did you figure out which way around the bracket attaches to the back of the dish? I got the manual from triax but it is not really clear. I think I have it right though.

Yes, I don't remember having a problem sorting that out. But the mount is really getting on my nerves. I loosen the elevation nuts, get the dish spot on, when I tighten the nuts the dish moves a little, putting the dish off again.

Its also very jerky adjusting the elevation, I'm thinking of greasing it up a bit.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Pete, forgot to look, will leave myself a note to look tomorrow. :) My head would go if it wasn't tied on. :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Robbo71 said:
Yes, I don't remember having a problem sorting that out. But the mount is really getting on my nerves. I loosen the elevation nuts, get the dish spot on, when I tighten the nuts the dish moves a little, putting the dish off again.

Its also very jerky adjusting the elevation, I'm thinking of greasing it up a bit.

see your having the same problem, these dishes are rubbish in my opinion. its going to get thrown across the garden one day.

never had the bolts do that on my dish but thanks will check it

scuba pete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow
The wind was really bad I have to say, I guess a night and day of it was just too much for them to take. I think if they had been tighten properly they would have been ok.

I had the same problem when I was adjusting the dish as well. Although I was doing it in the wind and rain, lol.

Pete

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
wod said:
see your having the same problem, these dishes are rubbish in my opinion. its going to get thrown across the garden one day.

never had the bolts do that on my dish but thanks will check it

I'm probably being really pedantic, the movement when you tighten them is very slight, but when trying to lock onto 7W, its the difference between a stable picture, and one with a few pixelations, it doesn't affect the strong satellites.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
yes that is a tiny problem but it does annoy you in the slightest. i was thinking of greasing it up too

the screws that hold my dish together are the ones that wont come undone when the wind is shaking the dish, anti vibration nuts & bolts something like that

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The movement on the elevation part of the Triax is not good, a great idea in principle , but not well executed.