America

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What the hell is going on over there? Their government is shutting down because no-one wants to spend money on public health care? Honestly, as much as we moan about the UK, we have it pretty rosy here. And their debt is over $16 TRILLION! And they're risking hitting their "debt ceiling" again unless they raise it...again. Or they risk default, killing the world. Are they not repaying anything to anyone...ever?

I really do wish the world wasn't as dependent as it is on America as every single mistake they make (and they make a lot of them) is reflected elsewhere. Just think the 2008 financial crisis...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It's the US part of America only.

The most part is carrying on. I suspect our friends in Canada and all the Portuguese and Spanish speaking Countries of the Central and Southern parts get mightily pi**ed off at being lumped in with the US in common parlance (Mostly stemming from lazy Media reporting).

Mind you, the point about debt is interesting: If all the major economies run massive deficits, who the heck do we owe the money to?

It isn't Wonga, that's for sure!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
If all the major economies run massive deficits, who the heck do we owe the money to?

.....the bankers......(other consonants are available)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, I did mean the US, rather than the American continent.

Everyone (except China) seems to owe money to everyone else (especially China)....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I've never understood why prudent Governments don't try to run the Economy along the same lines as responsible individuals do.

Edit: Typo corrected!

Last edited:

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
If all the major economies run massive deficits, who the heck do we owe the money to?

It isn't Wonga, that's for sure!

China maybe?

I'm sure I read somewhere that if China called in debt owed by the US it would cripple them

[EDIT] Too slow lol

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Didn't someone recently do a documentary, on the financial state of the USA?
I think his conclusion was that although the USA had massive debts their future, and current, assets, including mineral wealth, far outweighed any financial deficit.
This is just political pondering, and the chance for some pompous, unimportant, elected officials to show how much power they can muster.
I also seem to remember a breakdown, on how much it cost, to get elected, and how the expense could never be recovered, not by salary alone. This seems to be the par for most elected politicians, around the world.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I've never understood why prudent Governments don't try to rum the Economy along the same lines as responsible individuals do.

Ah, rum. Mmmmmmm !

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes, I did mean the US, rather than the American continent.
I believe it is actually only the -losing- political half of the US government that royally screwed this up, or is that another story ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's a (surely unintended) result of the checks and balances set up by the founding fathers of the US constitution, whereby the power of the President can be challenged by the two houses.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
It's at times like this that the "revocation of independence" joke rears its head again..... :)

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
I saw a very interesting documentary on the History Channel that put forward some very convincing evidence to suggest that Fort Knox was in fact empty and had been so for a long time! Obviously they suggested that there was a huge cover up to hide the fact because the financial implications of this were huge as the 'Gold Reseve' is basically being used as 'security' against foreign debts. If this was to be proved as correct, then the whole "House of Cards" that is National debt across the globe, could come tumbling down! :eek:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Can't be true - I swear I saw Sean Connery save it.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
According to QI, there's more gold stored elsewhere (New York?) than in Fort Knox.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Also according to Die Hard, but most of it doesn't belong to the USA, it's for trading purposes.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I think it's all just silly, they're arguing over something as daft as funding for their attempt at the NHS, we do that all the time in the UK and we never shut down the country!!!:-rofl2

Still, I do have an inkling that it's the beginnings of what could be another civil war for them, with Texas seceding from the union to stay out of it (cos they have that option, and a better economy for themselves), but we shall see, inklings don't always hold any truth... :-lol

But the thought about that joke with the revocation of their independence, it does seem quite apt right now, and I'm sure it's doing the rounds again!!! :-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Also according to Die Hard, but most of it doesn't belong to the USA, it's for trading purposes.
According to QI, there's more gold stored elsewhere (New York?) than in Fort Knox.

Dentistry ?

though not enough to get his alleged 06-02_Goldie-Clifford-Joseph-Price.jpg offspring from a murder conviction.